+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No tanking ranged weapons?

No tanking ranged weapons?

Paladins seem to have a s-tload of relics available to them with tanking stats on them, however, as far as I can see, I haven't found any suitable superior quality ranged weapons with defensive stats on them.

-Am I missing something?
    -Is there a reason we have no ranged weapons (not even from justice points)
    -Why not?
    -General QQ

There is one you can get from Vortex Pinnacle or Tol'Vir dont remember which one but its a BoE. Good luck getting one.

Crossfire Carabine, shouldn't take to long until you can grab it for some gold at your auction house.

Bastion of twilight trash (often) drops epics, the throwing star(agi) and the gun(str) are both survival upgrades to anything you can get at heroics. For now just use an agility gun from heroic BRC or Vortex pinnacle.

Or there's a 333 agility Crossbow that every Engineer will craft a couple of on their way to 525. You should be able to pick that up cheap off the AH.

Ranged weapon is the only bad item in my equip at the moment, too. I don't know why they changed relics to offer more or less the same as ranged weapons but let you buy relics for JPs and ranged weapons not. And relics drop much more often than wands, too. If it's easy to get a relic every class that cannot use a relic (but probably hunters) should have an equal chance to get an item for that slot. Blizz changed relics so that they could be used by more than one spec. Now tanking weapons are the one thing in this slot only needed by one spec:

7 need caster wands (mage, warlock, spriest)
    2 need healing wands / 3 do not mind wands with spirit
    All 9 specs can make use of wands with mastery and haste/crit and without hit/spirit

3 need healing relics (tree, resto shaman, holy pala)
    2 need caster relics (ele shaman, owl)
    All 5 can even make use of caster relics with spirit

3 need stregth dmg relics (2 dk + retri)
    3 need tank relics (bear, blood dk, prot pala) at least if it does not have parry
    5 of the above can also use str, mastery, hit/expertise ones

2 need agi dmg relics (cat, shaman) another (bear) can use them well

6 need agi ranged weapons (rogue, hunter), 3 of them as main weapon

2 need strg dmg ranged weapons (arms, fury)
    1 need tank ranged weapon (prot warrior)
    all three can make use ot of str, mastery, hit/expertise even as it is subobptimal for most of them at the moment

The best way would be to have a version of each at the vendor if blizz thinks drops would be too often not needed. They could even make the agi ranged weapon not useable for hunters while adding a melee-weapon only useable by hunters or something like that. Or they could add recieps for that. There are very nice relic recieps while there is none for engeneers at level 346 catering for tanks. Blacksmiths can make a weapon of most kinds of ilvl 346 so while they are probably too expensive, one don't need a drop to equip this slot.

picked up the agi, 126 stam gun and reforged the crit into parry, was a good 308 to 333 iLvl upgrade, thanks for the thread.

Thundercall (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56376) was supposedly going to drop from Vortex Pinnicale trash. Unfortunately according to a screen shot of a GM conversation I saw it was never implemented into the game. Normally I don't take to hearsay, but I farmed for a few weeks and searched the AH with no trace. Also when linking it through Atlasloot it appears as plain text.

Shame it was the best warrior range option till raiding.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    picked up the agi, 126 stam gun and reforged the crit into parry, was a good 308 to 333 iLvl upgrade, thanks for the thread.
    Thanks mate, just did the same, works fine for me for now!

Shame about the Thundercall issue..

I reforged crit to mastery because it's also the best I could get for my off-spec and it caters to both this way. (Even if mastery is worse than crit for fury but at least it helps some.)

This has been nagging me for some days now... and that's about the time my ticket is open... I really don't see why they wouldn't implement a proper ranged weapon after they took away the only decent one for tanks. I don't want to be melodramatic here, but that's definitely a (small ^^) minus in survivability for warriors. I mean, every other tanking class has it's relics with guaranteed socket and we have to search every inch of wow to find just one or two green quest rewards with strength and acceptable tanking stats

btw, I refuse to get me one of those agi ranged weapons, still running around with http://www.wowhead.com/item=63736

Quote Originally Posted by chisuki View Post
    btw, I refuse to get me one of those agi ranged weapons
    Strength is threat (over attackpower) and parry rating while agility is threat (over crit) and dodge rating, grab the one with a higher ilvl and mastery on it (= more stamina & rating!).

I'm using the vicious gladiator' war edge until I get a Crossfire to drop from trash. Can be easy obtained by winning 3-4 arena matches. It has 107 str 161 Stam and 72 crit which I reforged into mastery.

Baradin Wardens (horde faction for TB I can't remember) should have a ranged weapon with hit/mastery on it (bow for alliance). Sure it has Agi, but the hit/mastery and stam is worth it over a green quest reward.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    Baradin Wardens (horde faction for TB I can't remember) should have a ranged weapon with hit/mastery on it (bow for alliance). Sure it has Agi, but the hit/mastery and stam is worth it over a green quest reward.
    Requires 85 Tol Barad Commendation, by the time you reach exalted you won't have enough to buy both a 346 blue and the awesome trinket. At least on my server doing the dailys is a horriblegank fest so i entirley stopped doing them right after aquiring the shiny epic.

I just made a Kickback 5000 and reforged the crit to mastery. At least it has a gem socket.

Vicious Gladiator's Waredge is pretty much the only STR one you will get out of a nonraid environment. Same STR/STAM as the Crossfire Carbine and 38k gold cheaper (based on last AH price). Just Reforge the Crit into Mastery.

Takes 3 wins in an arena or rated battleground, so grab a healer and spend an hour in 2s and you should have it. You are bound to run into a team eventually that you can kill.

The larger issue here isn't that we can get by with a hunter weapon and some reforging, it's how the heck did the developers spend so much time and thought to totally overhaul the relic slots for all classes/specs who use them to make them more available, and then not even provide a reasonable strength ranged weapon to grab prior to raiding?

That is a serious WTF?!!

That's the core problem. Before cata, some other classes complained that the classes with a kind of relic were badly treated. (However they were balanced against not having as much stats as the others and the option to have a very good buff for at least one ability.)

I cannot understand why they make the same error again. Relics are much easier to attain because you cen get them from a vendor, inscription has a lot of them and they drop much more often than wands and ranged weapons. Even when 3 classes need wands which is not much less than the 4 who need relics. And one needs a ranged weapon as their main weapon. However the biggest problem is when there is one class that has none option to get something in the slot at all. There is even no reciep to build them as there was for every other expension. No drop, no vendor, no faction loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzazi View Post
    There is even no reciep to build them as there was for every other expension. No drop, no vendor, no faction loot.
    That's what struck me as most odd. Normally there is at LEAST an engi craftable option.
    For now, I have a reforged Volatile Thunderstick http://www.wowhead.com/item=59599/volatile-thunderstick
    After next week, when I hit enough points to get my 2h arena weap, I will pick up the conquest points ranged weap, and reforge that for tanking.
    The high stamina on it will make it BiS, as well as the fact it is STR based, as opposed to agi

+ Reply to Thread