+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Nefarian

My guild seems to be having trouble with the adds in ph1 (our person kiting/tanking the adds dies) and the start in ph2.

Make up:

Dk tank
    Pally tank

Holy priest
    Holy pally
    Resto shammy

Ret pally
    Shadow Priest
    Fire(or frost) mage
    Boomkin
    MM (or Survial) hunter

I have to ask, is a frost mage really that good for the ph1 adds? Also because my guild doesn't seem to want to try because of ph3 (which we have yet to get to) is the frost mage going to cut the damage needed?

For ph2, anyone have any tips for our healers on managing the first 15-20 seconds?

You got some decent cc there, why don't you use it?

Shackle (2x)
    Root
    Trap
    Fear Undead

And why do you have troubles with the start of phase 2? Everyone is topped off before and unless all fail at the pillars there shouldn't be much more then 4-6 magma stacks average plus some shadow barrages to heal through.

We kited them with a frostmage on 10s, too. But he died from time to time.. You can try use your boomkin or your ret pally to actually tank/kite them with the aid of a frosttrap and a ring of frost it's very manageable. You just need to find a position where neither both dragon's tail/breath nor Onyxia's electro thingy can hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeblader View Post
    My guild seems to be having trouble with the adds in ph1 (our person kiting/tanking the adds dies) and the start in ph2.

Make up:

Dk tank
    Pally tank

Holy priest
    Holy pally
    Resto shammy

Ret pally
    Shadow Priest
    Fire(or frost) mage
    Boomkin
    MM (or Survial) hunter

I have to ask, is a frost mage really that good for the ph1 adds? Also because my guild doesn't seem to want to try because of ph3 (which we have yet to get to) is the frost mage going to cut the damage needed?

For ph2, anyone have any tips for our healers on managing the first 15-20 seconds?
    Have your ret pally put on a shield and a one hander and have him tank the adds, assign one of the healer to hilm, and you should be fine (dont forget righteous fury to tank than remove it when go back to dps...).

We tried several times to kite and/or CC, adds would always give us trouble. Than we had our DK unholy going in Blood presence to tank the add and we never had any problem after that. Your dps "offtank" will need some big heal - use CD, ask for Ring of Frost - but it is really easy that way. Plus, you can control where they will die, making it easier on phase 3.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/%C3%80oewin/advanced

Done him today in 10ppl surprisingly easy. The setup was:

Tanks: paladin (me), DK
    Healers: shaman, priest (holy), druid
    DPS: mage, shaman (enh), hunter, warlock (destr), druid (feral).

DK tanked Nef all the time, paladin tanked Ony in P1 and adds in P3. Priest was healing DK, shaman - paladin, druid - raid

In P1 our feral did most of the work in bearform. About 40% adds energy mage did frost ring to hold on adds, then druid held them all in center, trying to group up their corpses.
    We did 3 lighting strikes in P1, destruction warlock helps a lot, since 20% of his damage goes to Ony. Mage stayed on Ony almost all of the time while everyone else DPSed Nef; we spent about 3 or 4 tries to find perfect balance, but finally managed to kill Ony right after 3rd lighting is about to cast.

Most of the problems were in P2, especially in the beginning. Holy priest put a lightwell and thus could maintain a platform with 4 ppl. The main point of this phase is to jump up the platform asap and interrupt all the adds in the same time. You just have to work up the habit, that's all. We did no lighting strikes in this phase and landed Nef with about 62%.

P3 was the easiest to handle. If all of the adds die grouped in P1, or at least in 2 different locations, you just have to follow described timing tactic. This way you give your healer 10sec rest, and if your DPS team will discharge a lighting strike at this time, OT can survive without burning any CDs. Resistance trinket from TB is essential for OT at this phase; our MT used it too. After adds die and res, OT should just kite them; at this time, he can slow, stun, etc, anything to survive, because most likely they won't die again - DPS will kill Nef or healer will go oom sooner.

So, this is our recipe. If you'll do everything right in P1 and survive through P2, then this fight is piece of cake. It took 3 tries in P3 for me to learn the fight. Good luck

Anyone else having issues with threat during the encounter? despite 100k threat leads, the bosses and adds are turning and beating on a target until they die, much like the adds in P2 of Maloriak. Anyone else feeling it?

We figured it out... He was beating people in the face if they had Levitate on. I'm not even lying, it was levitate
    Last edited by smep; 03-23-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Worse than you.

I guess that threat issues can appear with nowadays tank gearing. I have hit and exp cap, but during my inspections on armory I realized that most of the tanks ignore the caps, preferring to switch to a more aggro-generating than surviving build, and thus leave too much work to healers. I don't want to say that this point is totally useless, no; but you should take in consideration your tank and healers gear/skill and put more stress on the strongest link in chain.

Of how many adds are we talking about in 10m? would be terrible to have 1 of the tanks holding the adds while tanking either Nef or Onyxia in p1?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

There's already an answer to your first question in the thread. Your Nef/Ony tanks shouldn't be tanking the skeleton adds in P1, as the dragons' breath refreshes the energy on the skeletons.

10 man nef
    having trouble with phase 3; multiple issues. few questions for anyone experienced with the encounter:

is it realistic to handle the adds properly if it takes 2 or 3 flames to activate them all? they arent dropping in a single pile from phase 1 and Im having hell trying to gather adds while keep the first group(s) out of fire. if they dont all get activated until say the 3rd or4th flame it seems nearly impossible for me to do my job successfully.

and why in gods name do they make a beeline for the raid when they reactivate after their first reset in phase 3? is this a bug .

really frustrating. we did get our first kill last week but this week will reset w/o nef down.

any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Danksz; 03-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.

I'd say this is more likely problems in P1. You should stack all adds in a mixmum of 2 piles, feral DPS druid or frost DK are greatest for this. They can taunt/grip all of adds on them just before their death and survive under damage reduction CDs.

Anyway, if you can't res all the adds with 2 flames, I'd advice to continue the mentioned tactic for all adds you could res with 2 first flames, and just taunt all extra adds. Thus you will get some adds down and still give your healer ~10s of easy work.

Any ressed adds have their aggro table cleared, so they will most likely run into the healer group. You should be about 25y near them to taunt them even if they'll try to run away.

Good luck

@Danks

This is the problem we were having with weird aggro during our attempts. As soon as we stopped levitating pre-pull, no more weird issues. Still, to counter it, we had our P1 add-tank (warrior) get BoP'd at the beginning of P3 to drop aggro.
    Worse than you.

I'm having huge issues dealing with the adds in Phase 3 25man.

I'm either kiting them too fast or too slow because everytime I do phase 3 the adds always get hit by shadowblaze.

I have 2 healers assisting me and the other OT (DK/Pally/Warrior depends on our current raid makeup).

What I try to do is move the adds after the Shadowblaze timer is up but its a hit or miss. I'm also shockwaving whenever I can but I don't get any more assistance after that since I dont want the adds to be sitting in the fire. Its also incredibly hard to see the fire as Phase 3 goes on I know its pink and all but with a dark room it blends in too well..

When the timer hit ~2s and they're slowed (piercing howl, earthbind totem, you name it) start moving them, if not start at ~1s. Don't you dare backpedal, strafe! And time your shockwave so they don't end up getting hit by Shadowblaze during a stun.

If you are doing the "tank nef in the centre and kite around the edge of the room" strategy, don't forget to warn the boss tank when you need the boss turned to avoid his breath hitting the adds..

our strategy after 14 days of tryin

Hey yo,

we defeated Nefarian at yesterday night.

Setup was.: 2 warriors tanks
    2 DKs (both dps, but one tanking adds at phase 1)
    1 Rouge
    1 Mage
    4 Healers (2x Druid, shaman, Pally) , because we had bad wipes at heal...

in phase one we done 2crackles, mage stay at onyxia

second phase we done pillars > 1) warrior,shaman, rouge 2) dk, pally, warrior 3) druid,rouge, mage, druid ( druids use inervate on each other [glyphed])

third phase i was OT adds... i got druid at me and he was allerting me 3 secs before flame to move( that was because i didnt wanted to have flames everywhere so i ran only few yards of last flame...) i despawned mobs 4 times and at the end i needed to 2 heals at me before neff was gone but worked well

GL & HF at your progress guys

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    If you are doing the "tank nef in the centre and kite around the edge of the room" strategy, don't forget to warn the boss tank when you need the boss turned to avoid his breath hitting the adds..
    We tank Nef on the edge of the room so when it comes to kiting the adds I can only go back and forth with the room that I have available which also means I need to avoid the head/tail. Pretty much I have a semi-circle to play with but the Shadowblaze spreads really fast..

Question about p2 25 man. Is their any definitive answer about the aoe in pillar phase? I'm wondering if it would be more healer friendly to stack 1 pillar with as many healers and people as possible. Possibly have a priest healer + 2melee + tank + 1 ranged dps (pref shadow priest/boomkin for reduced damage or shaman for 100% overlapping interrupts) on each of two pillars... then stack the remaining 15 people (1 tank, 5-6 healers, and 8-9 dps) on the last pillar to maximize aoe healing and raid cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    We tank Nef on the edge of the room so when it comes to kiting the adds I can only go back and forth with the room that I have available which also means I need to avoid the head/tail. Pretty much I have a semi-circle to play with but the Shadowblaze spreads really fast..
    We use this strat too, however I feel like the stars have to align in order for a clean P3. The adds never seem to die together, so it takes multiple shadowblazes to res them. Another issue is when Nef decides to shadowblaze at the alive adds instead of the dead ones, meaning I typically have to kite dangerously close to the fire to pick up the new adds, or risk them running off. If all goes well I can get 2 full resets and a clean kill, however if this doesn't happen, P3 is total cluster Ffff and we barely make the kill. Does anyone have any better advice? Does tanking Nef in the center of the room in P3 make the phase a lot easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    We use this strat too, however I feel like the stars have to align in order for a clean P3. The adds never seem to die together, so it takes multiple shadowblazes to res them. Another issue is when Nef decides to shadowblaze at the alive adds instead of the dead ones, meaning I typically have to kite dangerously close to the fire to pick up the new adds, or risk them running off. If all goes well I can get 2 full resets and a clean kill, however if this doesn't happen, P3 is total cluster Ffff and we barely make the kill. Does anyone have any better advice? Does tanking Nef in the center of the room in P3 make the phase a lot easier?
    How close are your adds dying in phase 1? Usually when the adds die in the right position they all get ressed by one shadowblaze. However the lack of one add in the pile does not make much diference. Normally if one or two adds do not get ressed at the start i pick them up when they get ressed. When the rest of the adds deactivate i will keep on tanking the remaining adds that did not deactivate on top of those who already did. That way the next shadowblaze will reactivate the ones on the floor and reset the ones on you. That way all of them will start this next wave with the same amount of energy and you can deactive all at the same time the second time around.

On other hand, if you are tanking in the, you can just keep kiting/tanking around the room, you will have enough room to move then around even if not all of them deactivate at the same time.

I had hard times tanking the adds in P3. We were two prot warriors.

First problem we had is about picking the adds. How do you handle this? basically we had a good stack of corpses, as they were rezed we tried to pick them up but we always ended with one tank having 8-10 adds and the other only 2 or 3. So we had to pick them up manually with taunts and this was no piece of cake because of the kitting...

Would it be better to have only one tank taking all the adds and the second offtank just assisting in case the former dies?

I've been wiping on this boss for weeks now...he's clearly the hardest atm. And we do not put him on P3 on every attempt, so I'm afraid I'll have many tries to do a perfect P3
    Nerf Rock, paper is fine
    -Scissors

+ Reply to Thread