Closed Thread

Thread: Cataclysm Tanking Guide: Is One In The Making?

Cataclysm Tanking Guide: Is One In The Making?

I notice there is none, or I can not find one, a current tanking guide especially for Cataclysm?

Tank Spot used to be dedicated for tanks in general and lately we seem to have gotten away from updating the tanking needs needed and went more towards a dps roll.

I know there are a lot of articles scattered through out the forum on our tanking needs but no specific tanking guide for this new content. I can not find on this website what our tree; talents; gear; enchants; etc. should be or recommended like the past guides written and posted on Tank Spot. I know other sights such as Elitist Jerks has but I have been a big fan of Tank Spot for years and am curious if we have gotten away from this or are there plans for posting one here.

There is a decent on for warriors at elitistjerks. http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t110315-...ction_warrior/
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

As has been said before and will probably need to be said again - right now with tanking - people have just started entering raids. Therefor they are just starting to figure out what does in fact work best.

Landsoul doesn't have his Fury Spreadsheet out yet for 4.0, Aggy doesn't have a seminal tank guide out yet - it's still too early in the expansion with so much changing (healer activity, survability, CDs, bigger HP pools/less armor/less avoidance/block is good now) for anything concrete to be created.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    with tanking - people have just started entering raids. Therefor they are just starting to figure out what does in fact work best.
    Thanks Logan. I figured it was something like. I guess I just got so used to Tank Spot's postings when it came to tanking I was expecting something sooner. I do look forward to what will be finallyzed and then posted. Always excellent info full of wealth.

As for Elitist, I've never really been a fan of them. The info they post seems to come more from a spreadsheet than actual experience.

Currently in Japan, headed back to the States summer '11.
    This is the most current DK tanking guide by Satorri. Everyone is still learning the ins and outs of all the classes so be patient. Every little bit helps so pass along what you have learned also.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Bloody-Future

Currently we only have a truly embodying version of the DK one linked above. As for warriors, stat gearing is still up for debate but for the most part stamina and mastery are what we're diving for. Rotation priorities are discussed rather heavily in the theory forum, but namely the prot warrior spreadsheet by Wartotem will best describe for you what you want to do for your warrior. Rotations largely remain the same as before so the necessity for a new guide has been largely unwarranted.

Was there a specific question you wanted to ask exactly or more just general information?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Currently we only have a truly embodying version of the DK one linked above. As for warriors, stat gearing is still up for debate but for the most part stamina and mastery are what we're diving for. Rotation priorities are discussed rather heavily in the theory forum, but namely the prot warrior spreadsheet by Wartotem will best describe for you what you want to do for your warrior. Rotations largely remain the same as before so the necessity for a new guide has been largely unwarranted.

Was there a specific question you wanted to ask exactly or more just general information?
    My only 2 cents is it might be a good idea to write up say a warrior tank small FAQ that covers the following.

Talent tree
    Glyphs
    Minimum description on the 75% rule
    A brief AoE primer on how to apply it and tricks to keeping it
    A brief primer on vengeance and how it stacks / works

Reason I'm saying this is I see a ton of threads that ask these 4 or 5 basic questions a few times a day.

There will be a full blown guide once the dust settles, but for now a primer would help new tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Maybe just an update here on Tank Spot for the current expansion. There are recommendations which are taking people to other websites yet no imput from the administrators; writers or authors from here. Like I said before, I have been a big fan of Tank Spot for years. Many useful older posts were either archived or lost during the past year; year and a half. (Wasn't Tank Spot down because of a new server a while back? or something like that?)

The only info I could find is from old content, ie:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...st-Compilation!

which are all outdated.

Like I said before, I got spoiled with Tank Spot and I remember "sticky's" dedicated to tanks (specifically warrior tanks).

we're working on a quickguide shortly.

While reading the actual threats, maybe an actual cata tanking guide may be a good idea. I'm thinking about all the questions about changed mechanics that are independent of class like:

- taunt not missing anymore
    - interrupts can miss as before
    - parry and dodge have same DR
    - there is no parry haste anymore (so expertise lost the survival part)
    - strength caters to parry rating, agi to dodge rating
    - there is no block value anymore, block rating increases chance to block for block tanks
    - idea of masterys (genereal idea and short summup of the 4 tank masterys)
    - maybe summ up of availyble tank buffs/debuffs and who can give them how
    - reforging
    - short idea of healing changes and selfheals of tanks

Stuff like this is asked quite often at the moment. And I agree that there are multiple threats to the same warrior mechanics, too.

If you think something like this may be usefull I can try to write something.
    Last edited by Katzazi; 01-06-2011 at 03:15 AM.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arrior-Tanking!

That may be useful as a starter.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

I've been getting tons of help from Kaz on drawing up a " primer " FAQ for people. I posted it this AM in the Donor Discussions forum asking for any and all input.

It's on my blog as a work in progress draft ( spelling and grammar issues abound ) ...

Any input is appreciated.

Maintankadin comes through for pallies where EJ seems to lack. Just follow Theck's posts around and you usually get to what you sought out. Being a new tank in Cata though, as newbish as it seems to mention, I wish there were more videos on some of these fights from a tank's perspective. I'm still tuning my UI to be able to effectively monitor and execute certain things but after tanking mostly heroics, it's going to feel a little weird having gigantic bosses in front of me with control of their movement and placement. I suppose I just need some experience but if anyone has any good demonstrations from a tank's perspective I'd be pretty grateful for it.

Closed Thread