Thread: Best DK weapon from Heroics

Best DK weapon from Heroics

Having trouble deciding between
    Wild Hammer
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=56131

and
    Arced War Axe
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=63445

Wild Hammer is slower (3.6) so has higher top end damage, but Haste which is kinda useless for a tank, while Arced War Axe has better tanking stats (lots of expertise). Which is better?

I have never tanked as a DK but the Arced War Axe looks better imo. More strength and Stam and you can always reforge the crit into either mastery or another avoidence stat you need.

With the amount of threat that you generate from your moves you really do not need to waste itemization on threat stats such as expertise of hit. You really want to find weapons with survival stats which means mastery. That being said, we are left with 3 items that have mastery and only two of which are in heroics

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56342

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56456

The stats are almost identical except for haste vs. crit and the swing speeds. Haste and crit are both relatively useless for threat and will provide negligible differences, however the .2 second swing timer is enough to make me biased toward the sword of the bottomless pit (unless you are a dwarf or human, then go with the mace to match your racial)

Haste affects your rune regeneration, which in turn affects both your threat and your self-healing and Mastery (more frequent Death Strikes). In my opinion, Haste/Mastery is the ideal itemization for a DK tank weapon.

I thought haste only affected rune regeneration as unholy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewheel View Post
    I thought haste only affected rune regeneration as unholy?
    Nope haste is super cool rune regen for all....

Think you guys missed the old skool option

HC Deadmines offers the Foe Reaper.... Tasty 2 hander with hit and tons of expertise...

Although it lacks the fun stats i rarely need to put any more exp or hit out into my gems so threat is nice and high
    Lykopis - DK Tank - Shattered Hand

Honestly threat stats just are not necessary, at least at this point in the game. I have been avoiding threat stats on gear and reforging around any hit or expertise that I do get. In a boss fight, no dps has ever been close to passing me because as a dk you are constantly rune striking to proc rune empowerment. IMO, go for mastery on a weapon, the second stat doesn't matter too much as long as the weapon has mastery

Best weapon

I agree with rsorleans I been lamenting about needing hit / expertise and wishing a weapon had them both until I found the foe reaper which our warrior graciously let me have. I think cheesewheel is thinking about it in the wrong manner your not going to hit / expertise cap because you can not hold aggro your doing it so those tasty shields he is talking about proc a missed DS is a missed heal and a missed shield I used the foe reaper right up until I got my new toy which again the warrior let me have.
    /love understanding warriors
    But between the two you linked I think the Arced war axe is better if you are missing expertise also it has more top damage and more stam

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewheel View Post
    With the amount of threat that you generate from your moves you really do not need to waste itemization on threat stats such as expertise of hit. You really want to find weapons with survival stats which means mastery. That being said, we are left with 3 items that have mastery and only two of which are in heroics
    WRONG!!!
    Death Knights want to be capped or as close to cap for Hit and Expertise, its not for threat purposes but to land Death Strikes which are Heal/Bubble for a DK.

Quote Originally Posted by rsorleans View Post
    Nope haste is super cool rune regen for all....

Think you guys missed the old skool option

HC Deadmines offers the Foe Reaper.... Tasty 2 hander with hit and tons of expertise...

Although it lacks the fun stats i rarely need to put any more exp or hit out into my gems so threat is nice and high
    Yep, currently that is the "best" Tanking weapon for a DK atm imo.

+ Reply to Thread