+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Earthquake card vs. other tanking trinkets

Earthquake card vs. other tanking trinkets

I've been making a lot of Darkmoon cards, and managed to grab enough to make a Darkmoon Card: Earthquake. The dodge is undeniably nice, but I'm really unsure of the value of its on-use in Cataclysm content. Can it essentially be treated as a 11500 heal?

Just for reference, my current trinkets are Lifebound Alchemist Stone and Impetuous Query, although there are several easily obtainable upgrades to my second trinket, so something like Throngus's Finger or Porcelain Crab might make for a more apt comparison.

Would you sell it, or use it? (I'm a Death Knight, although it would be interesting to hear about how it might be more or less useful to different tank classes)

I was just wondering that myself, I'm currently using Throngus's Finger and Porcelain Crab as a prot warrior. I saw someone selling the Darkmoon Card: Earthquake today and its got me wondering. Should I switch out the Porcelain crab for the card, then pick up a Leaden Despair and/or Earthen Guardian for the Use's as a " Oh Crap" type thing with last stand/shield wall?

its gonna take alot for me to give up on Unidentifiable Orgen, with lowered avoidance values the Stam quickly mounts up and the extra armour is very nice, I run it with Leaden Despair. Maybe I over valure armour but Heart of Thunder from the last boss of VP looks nicer than the darkmoon card; identical on use, but armour rather than dodge ratingi

@ Tengenstein, the amount of armor you get from heroic Hearth of Thunder (1139) isn't that viable. I had it in my bags for a while and when I finally compared stat loss/gain I barely gained .60% damage reduction from the armor as opposed to the 2.21% more avoidance/block I got from using the Impetuous Query, I haven't tested out the Darkmoon Card: Earthquake yet, but when I turn in the deck during the next Darkmoon I'll post if anyone is interested in the gains/losses.

Well that post was over 3months ago now, UO's been nerfed to the ground.

I still don't rate the DMC:Earthquake, or Heart of Thunder for that matter. I still favour armour over avoidance though, primarily becuase while both suffer from Diminishing returns armour is a guaranteed damage reduction, even if some how you end up with something you can't avoid attacking you (foe reaper), or you've let the mob get behind you somehow? The on use i find lacklustre at best, 11k heath just isn't great.

Pre raiding I would expect Mirror of Broken Images and Leaden Despair to be the top 2 all purpose trinkets, and then in dscending order Porcelain Crab, Alchemy Trinket, JC trinket, Throngus' Finger, and Impetuos Query, with the valour trinket, Heart of thunder and DMC:earthquake bringing up the rear (all HC cept IQ).

TBH i'd rather take The Blackheart with its 7K armour Proc than DMC:Earthquake

Impetuos Query is a good trinket, it has a crapton of mastery on it, and I wouldn't be surprised if to see it displace MoBI if a 346 version was available and you didn't need the 40% magic reduction. However my criteria for HoT>DMC:E is dodge vs armour, where I prefer armour. IQ is static mastery: mastery vs armour is a very different question, Mastery doesn't suffer from diminishing returns and so scales much nicer than both dodge and armour do, and thus why I prefer IQ over Hot and DMC:E, thats also why your seing nearly a 4-fold increase in Block+avoidance with IQ vs the armour from HoT; point for point of rating mastery gives more Block than Dodge gives Dodge. and this is also why you'll get different amounts form DMC:E depepnd on how much Dodge rating you already have, the more DoDge you have, the less Dodge the rating off DMC:E will provide, so ultimately buying it to say it gives X% dodge isn't gonna tell us much

If DMC: was readily available i might take if i didnt have another decent trink, but with it being perhaps the most costly pre-raid trinket and it's lacklustre on use I'd rather spend the money on elixirs.

My perfect trinket would be be an updation UO but with stacking Mastery rather than Stam.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 04-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Yeah, since I made the initial post I've given up on the Earthquake deck. It's been sitting in my bank ever since I got my TB trinket, and I'm very happy with that decision. Shame I wasted all that gold early in the x-pac!

As a general rule, I avoid on use trinkets that give health - not only do you lose the health after 15 seconds but it just doesn't have a lot of use. The only good thing is the equip stat, but you have to weigh that against both parts of any other trinket.

Also, if you were asking if the Alchemist stone would increase the amount (if it was treated as a heal) I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

The Alchemist's stone only increases healing and mana gained from potions - so no, it wouldn't increase any other kinds of heals. The only time I could see the increased health being a deciding factor is Chimaeron in the last phase to push you above 10000 hp so you can survive another hit.

I went on a DMC making frenzy these last two weeks and made all the decks (doubled up a couple to sell and made some gold) and I put DMC:Earthquake on my DK to play with. I normally favor EH over Avoidance, but though what the hell let me play with this a bit. We'll see if I keep using it.

+ Reply to Thread