Thread: Heroic Baron Ashbury

Heroic Baron Ashbury

Iím experiencing some frustration with this fight. In a few pugs Iíve been in they are expecting me to handle all the interrupts for Mend Rotten Flesh and Asphyxiate. Iím a warrior tank and Shield Bash doesnít seem to be enough. He will at times cast Mend Rotten Flesh right after Asphyxiate. It seems even with Heroic Throw talented to silence that this doesnít interrupt spells on this boss. Maybe it does and Iím missing it but Iíve done the boss about 3 times and not been able to get the timing down for the interrupts.
    How should this bossí spells be interrupted? Can a warrior tank handle bot h the Asphyxiate and the Mend Rotten Flesh consistently? If so how?
    Thanks
    Zeffin

No you can't do it. At least not with shield bash. I don't think your group knew shield bash has a longer CD than normal interrupts. I'm not even sure a DPS could do it tbh.

We use the tank or melee DPS on asphyxiate, ranged DPS save their interrupts for mend rotting flesh. Mend flesh is a real reflex test with it's super short cast time, don't think it's fair to ask you to handle that and tanking as well.

PS Mend rotting flesh can will be cast before a counterspell cd is up. Be sure to have a back up while your main interrupter is on cd.

Its an easy fight, just have a ranged handle stay execution, one melee on mend flesh. I'm normally with a pally healer and so we don't worry about the dot / damage channel ability cause he just cleanses it or something.

Mend rotting flesh - needs interrupting.
    The ability after asphyziate - needs interrupting.
    The magic attack - needs to be cleansed or interrupted.

The group i usually go with is a bit unbalanced with a Paladin and 2 Shaman. We designated 1 person for each ability. Paladin likes taking the asphyxiate and healer cleansed the magic affliction while the other Shaman interrupted the Mend. We would have the group get to the bottom of the stairs and fairly close together. The shammy healer dropped a Healing Stream totem near the fight and cast healing rain after each asphyxiate, this handled party heals well. That left only the tank that needed full healing.

When you PUG communication is essential. Players have different ideas of what they need to do for each fight. Most will even know the "standard" method of fighting but may not mesh well with what your thinking. The only answer, and it may be the rude one, is that if a PUG is unwilling to work with the group kick them. They will only hold you back. Eventually people will be geared enough to walk through these Heroics like WoTLK before cataclysm. However, right now heroics are difficult. As such if a PUG is unwilling to do what is necessary kick them and PUG another.

as pala tank I specifically talented into 2/2 Grand crusader for the chance of quick refresh on my Avenger's Shield , I keep my shield out of my rotation and just save it for mend rotten flesh. Ive tried explaining what to do to several melee dps in pugs and still do eeach time but in the end I find i can mostly only count on myself.

I would suggest though that before the fight you make clear who interrupts what and just keep your shield for when there isn't anything happening from the designated interrupter. Melee dps > casters imo because melee dps have shorter CD on there interrupts ...

As a warrior tank myself i said to my group which was a DK, Mage, and Elmental Shaman I will get mend rotting flesh and you all need to get the rest they made there own intrupt rotation and it was easy street. We got the Ach because the intrupts were all there and The healer could keep up. I belive pretty much all classes has some sort of spell lock or someting to that effect As a warrior tank i can get two myself. I belive that folks are still getting use to playing all sides of there toon not just spamming fire ball

Quote Originally Posted by Symph View Post
    No you can't do it. At least not with shield bash. I don't think your group knew shield bash has a longer CD than normal interrupts. I'm not even sure a DPS could do it tbh.
    A shaman can't do it so no one can do it.

The asphyxiate thing is NOT interruptable but Mend Rotten Flesh and, more importantly, Stay of Execution, are. Assign someone with an itchy trigger finger and a short interrupt cooldown (like a shaman) to interrupt Stay of Execution, and everyone else who has an interrupt to try for Mend Rotten Flesh. My guild got the 'Pardon Denied' acchievement our first kill, because if we didn't interrupt we could never kill the MF

Great information. One question if I have spec'd into Gag Order will Heroic throw interrupt Mend Rotting Flesh or Stay of Execution?

Thanks,

Zeffin

I have solo interrupted them with some funky dps/healer combo (ie I'm the only interrupter). And I can say as a warrior tank I don't have enough interrupt CDs to solo both mend rotten flash and stay of execution. But it's not the end of the world. The lack of interrupts can easily be compensated by solid dps. What I did was just interrupt either spell if and when my shield bash is available. If everyone is doing 10k+ dps, you should easily kill the boss in heroics even with a failed interrupt. Besides I'm not hit capped in tank gear, and unless I have two other interrupters, I've had kills where I've missed too.

And if the healer runs oom early, make sure they aren't actually trying to heal everyone to full pre-dark angel phase. The pain and suffering is dispellable. All they need is some quick reflex. Keeping everyone low is the key to healing here, just like in Chimaeron.

If you are speced in gag order heroic throw will interrupt stay of exceution it wont interrupt mend rotting flesh

Heroic Baron Ashbury

Are you certain? Heroic throw is only a Silence and not an interrupt (the only other ability I know that works like this is garrote). Most bosses are immune to silence effects.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

You need 2 reliable interrupts and leave the Pain and Suffering to be dispelled by a healer. Mend Rotting Flesh must be interrupted immediately and Stay of Execution can go off for 1 tick (from a healing perspective I definitely prefer it if people allow it to tick once). I'm not convinced it's tenable for a group to expect you to handle all interrupts.

Mend Rotting Flesh going off once is not a wipe if DPS is high enough but if it's going off consistently it's likely your healer will OOM before or on entry into the dark angel phase.

The new patch will remove the concern and you'll only need 1 reliable interrupt.

FYI...After many attempts on this boss, we found that "Mend Rotten Flesh" is cast when the boss is at 50% and again at 40% health. I am a pally tank and I save my AS just for this and have had no additional problems.
    Last edited by Ironmoo; 01-19-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Interrupts

As a fury warrior, I have Pummel, which is on a 10-sec CD. I have not been in a group yet that hasn't been able to down Ashbury on heroic, as most classes have some sort of interrupt. Earlier tonight the makeup was Protection Warrior, Fury Warrior, Holy Priest, Feral Druid, Shadow Priest. The tank handled both Mend Rotten Flesh and Pain and Suffering, while I reflex-interrupted the two Mend Rotten Flesh casts at 50% and 30%. Indeed, I find that this is one of the easier fights in Cataclysm heroics, at least from a DPS perspective.