+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what am i doing wrong?? prot warrior

what am i doing wrong?? prot warrior

So im pretty geared all heroics some epics, but my healers in guild say i take ALOT of dmg, a pally in greens seems to take less dmg then me?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...urfer/advanced

anything i can improve reforging wise enchants gems ect ect???

If you mean heroics, I could AoE tank a lot of heroics when I had equal stats as you.

If you mean in raids, then warrior/druid/paladin mitigation is about equal, DK tanks are overpowered in a lot of situations(council/chimae/conclave/countlessotherexamples) but we're all used to it by now anyway.

Are you using your cooldowns properly? is your healer actually healing properly? Are the healers priests?

Not a gear issue. Look to technique...
    - Keeping debuffs on target (tc+demo if noone is doing it for you)
    - Keeping your face to all targets (turn back = no avoidance)
    - Making frequent and intelligent use of shield block, trinkets and other defensive cooldowns (intelligent means 'when it'll have most impact' or 'when it's needed most' not just as often as possible)
    - Making frequent and intelligent use of interrupts, stuns and spell reflect

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Not a gear issue. Look to technique...
    - - Making frequent and intelligent use of shield block, trinkets and other defensive cooldowns (intelligent means 'when it'll have most impact' or 'when it's needed most' not just as often as possible)
    - Making frequent and intelligent use of interrupts, stuns and spell reflect
    I agree with swelt, on the two points most of all. I see a lot of tanks going through entire pulls and boss fights, when they don't wipe, with all their cooldowns unused. Cooldowns should be used much more as they help more often then "OMG IM GOING TO DIE" moments. The help reduce healer strain and mana which for a lot of encouters current healer mana is the new enrage timer.

The other is simple, if something can be interrupted DO IT YOURSELF!. Honestly, most dps still haven't learned where their counterspell, kick, pummel ect.. buttons are. Never assume that if you don't interrupt spells or abilites yourself that someone else will.

Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    I agree with swelt, on the two points most of all. I see a lot of tanks going through entire pulls and boss fights, when they don't wipe, with all their cooldowns unused. Cooldowns should be used much more as they help more often then "OMG IM GOING TO DIE" moments. The help reduce healer strain and mana which for a lot of encouters current healer mana is the new enrage timer.

The other is simple, if something can be interrupted DO IT YOURSELF!. Honestly, most dps still haven't learned where their counterspell, kick, pummel ect.. buttons are. Never assume that if you don't interrupt spells or abilites yourself that someone else will.
    Absolulty guys. I actually had a arms warrior tell me the other night that he doesn't have an interupt... Seriously? I run with one of the best rogues I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. We have a great system. I get first, he gets second. Remember that along with your trinkets, SB, TC, and Demo shout, you have a talent all smart tanks wish they had. Shockwave. Onces I have establised aggro (I'm REALLY loving the rend spread of TC), I wait for multi casts on my tidy plates. If I can interupt 2 casters and stun them with one shockwave I do it. Con blow on one and bash the other on the next cast. Usually by the time they are casting again I either have heroic throw, reflect, or shockwave back off CD. Make sure they are dispelling. I know I have had healers call my pally less squishy in the past just bacause I cleanse myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Cooldowns should be used much more as they help more often then "OMG IM GOING TO DIE" moments.
    It's funny that people tend to only think of their cooldowns as "OMG IM GOING TO DIE" moments, when they're actually the least effective. (I have similar views on items that have an armor proc that goes off when you're near-death.)

If I only used Barkskin when I was near-death, it'd most likely be wasted almost every time. If I anticipated incoming damage and popped Barkskin when I'm still at high HP but expecting a large amount of damage, it will do a much better job of keeping me alive.

In addition to what others have all ready said.
    Disarm and Spell Reflect are the 2 most often forgot spells in our arsenal (at least when I queue as DPS and get a Warrior tank.) You can mostly trivialize the first couple trash pulls in Blackwing Decent with a well timed Disarm. Don't forget about it because "it's just a 5 man".
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Spell reflect is probably my most favorite ability. Something just so very satisfying about making a mob eat its own damage. Particularly in throne of tides reflecting the 3rd bosses lava bolt right back at him ... 62k to the face.

I tend to be of the opinion that I save my cooldowns for oh shit moments. Shield wall particularly (went with the 60% on a longer cooldown). This early in heroics you will usually have an oh shit moment in pretty much every boss fight, if you blow your cooldown too early you might not have it when you need it. Other danger, particularly with damage reduction cooldowns, if you blow them early you can give your healer a false sense of security and lead to problems when your damage intake spikes suddenly without warning. But if you have it when you need it, shield wall plus enraged regen can be an absolute life saver.

i'd guess the pally is running with seal of insight. the "minor" self heals, are just making it seem like he's less squishy. the pally could be doing a little more dps/tps with seal of truth, but then he would be just as squishy...

Only thing that kind of sticks out glancing at the armory is your Dodge seems to be fairly low. Currently on my warr I am sitting at 14% for both Dodge and Parry and 43%ish for block. Last night doing heroics with friends I actually got a comment saying I take less damage than my pally friend. A large part of it I believe though is chaining certain abilities together differently. Use spell reflect when you know a hard hit is coming and switch off with shield bash and spell reflect. It can make some caster mobs literally do nothing to you. Other one that comes in handy is Victory Rush. I used it a ton during leveling and sometimes use it while farming for stuff. Gather a pack, T and B the mobs, than victory rush for HP back when needed. I have the minor glyph to let it last a little bit longer. With the amount of damage we can pump out now with taking hard hits, you get it more often than you might think.

You have great gear, but your reforging is a little off. Don't reforge into mastery until you have dodge and parry each at 15%. Once they are there, then reforge into mastery. That little bit extra dodge will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerre View Post
    You have great gear, but your reforging is a little off. Don't reforge into mastery until you have dodge and parry each at 15%. Once they are there, then reforge into mastery. That little bit extra dodge will make a difference.
    This is backward. If you're doing to reforge survival stats at all - you should be aiming to get Mastery as high as possible (until unhittable). Although it's just as fine to leave survival stats alone and focus on Mastery via gems and enchants.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

moved to HALP

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Caric View Post
    But if you have it when you need it, shield wall plus enraged regen can be an absolute life saver.
    I tend to like the Shield Wall + JC trinket use macrod together, and then Last Stand + Enraged Regen macro'd together. More health means more heal you receive from regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    This is backward. If you're doing to reforge survival stats at all - you should be aiming to get Mastery as high as possible (until unhittable). Although it's just as fine to leave survival stats alone and focus on Mastery via gems and enchants.
    According to Takethecake's post found here, http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...echanics/page8
    And also summoned up by Bigbad
    With those current values: avoidance>mastery untill 4600 combined ratings, mastery>avoidance between 4600-5400 ratings but dont exceed the softcap of 77,4%, after 5400 total ratings mastery all the way.
    , I don't think I have things backward.

According to his Armory profile, Surfer has 938 Dodge rating (9.49%), 1783 Parry Rating (14.09%) and 1682 Mastery (46.52% block). This leads to a combined 4403 combined rating. By stacking so much Mastery he is blocking most of the hits, so he is taking more damage. Remember when you block you take damage...not the same amount of damage if it is a clean hit, but still damage.

Surfer said
    So im pretty geared all heroics some epics, but my healers in guild say i take ALOT of dmg, a pally in greens seems to take less dmg then me?
    . I bet that pally chose to carry more dodge/parry than Surfer has.

I know us Warriors strive to reach "Unhittable", but Shield Block's 25% extra block only lasts 10 sec so for the rest of the cool down period there is that increased chance that things will land and hit us hard. According to Takethecake's post, stacking too much Mastery too soon will lead to increased damage taken.

So I repeat what I said. Surfer please try reforging your gear back to a little bit more dodge and a little less Mastery and you should see your damage go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerre View Post
    According to Takethecake's post found here, http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...echanics/page8
    And also summoned up by Bigbad, I don't think I have things backward.
    Interesting thread. But be careful since it was done during beta and the last few posts are speculating about the latest change to shield block. So I'm not sure if that all takes those changes into account (rolling excess block into critical block).

This is up to date though, I'm sure: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...or-Spreadsheet

As I would imagine Rawr is.

+ Reply to Thread