View Poll Results: Which doomsday event do you dread most?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zombie Virus Pandemic

8 42.11%
  • Aliens obliterating the planet from space.

4 21.05%
  • Aliens invading Earth and enslaving mankind.

2 10.53%
  • Huge asteroid

3 15.79%
  • Sun explodes (including the aftermath)

2 10.53%
  • Mass detonation of the world's nuclear weapons supply.

4 21.05%
  • Cataclysmic natural disasters preceeding the Earth imploding from the destablization of its core.

5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poll: Which fictional doomsday event do you dread the most?

Poll: Which fictional doomsday event do you dread the most?

Throughout our lives, we've watched movies or read books about doomsday events like alien incursions, being overrun by the living dead, etc.

In this poll, specify which event(s) you think would suck the worst.

I chose 2, 4, and 7 because mankind has a chance to survive such events, however remote the chance of survival may be.

Ok, I'm wrong about #5. If the sun explodes, even if some did survive the blast wave, without the sun, the Earth would freeze to temperatures incapable of supporting human life, and the planet would fly off into space due to a lack of a gravity mass to keep it in orbit.
    Last edited by Valandris; 12-28-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Speak out! Ask for Stargate Atlantis to be brought back!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/

Slow or fast zombies?
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

Definitely zombies. I don't look forward to being shot in the head just because I'm hungry, rotting and moaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

bah ... Computers is where its at. They serve us now ... but just wait ... i see a I Robot in our future!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    Slow or fast zombies?
    fast
    Speak out! Ask for Stargate Atlantis to be brought back!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/

Quote Originally Posted by Valandris View Post
    fast
    Bah ... Everybody knows FAST zombies aren't real !

Zombies because I don't like them
    Nuclear war destruction because it is still a possibility.

Zombies are the only really "scary" one. Well, maybe enslavement, too.

The rest are just cataclysmic - and probably extinction level - events that you wouldn't even be alive to suffer through.

One of my favorite cataclysmic stories is Ill Wind, a book in which an oil company puts out a designer microbe to combat a huge oil spill in San Francisco Bay. The virus mutates, goes airborne, and eats all the petroleum and petroleum based products in the world. That means no gasoline, no plastics, no petroleum lubricants, no styrofoams, no polyester, no mass agriculture, no way of moving food from the countryside to the cities in reasonable quantities, no sources of electricity (try running a wind farm or hydro power dam without petroleum lubricants). The world descends into chaos and billions die.

Hard to believe that just 200 years ago, we didn't even have the stuff, and now it would completely destroy the modern world and kill billions if we didn't have it.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    One of my favorite cataclysmic stories is Ill Wind, a book in which an oil company puts out a designer microbe to combat a huge oil spill in San Francisco Bay. The virus mutates, goes airborne, and eats all the petroleum and petroleum based products in the world. That means no gasoline, no plastics, no petroleum lubricants, no styrofoams, no polyester, no mass agriculture, no way of moving food from the countryside to the cities in reasonable quantities, no sources of electricity (try running a wind farm or hydro power dam without petroleum lubricants). The world descends into chaos and billions die.

Hard to believe that just 200 years ago, we didn't even have the stuff, and now it would completely destroy the modern world and kill billions if we didn't have it.
    That's a good one.

Personally, Aliens obliterating earth from space.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post

The reason billions would die without it is because before we had it the world couldn't support billions!

A dragon coming out of the earth that is flying around and frying us from above.

Smart zombies... are the frikkin... scariest.... things ever. They wait for you.... open doors to find you... hide... team up... -shiver.-

+ Reply to Thread