+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Healing Masteries Discussion

Healing Masteries Discussion

Healing Masteries, let's talk about them.

Intro
    Mastery is a new stat implemented in 4.0.1 which is supposed to become a major part of the new World of Warcraft expansion: Cataclysm. You can get it in the game currently by re-forging your gear, but it's expected to be a major part of gear past level 80 or at least at level 85. Each class has three unique masteries, one for each spec, which is supposed to be something flavorful and useful to the spec.

The Mastery stat will increase the strength of the ability, or increase the chance of the ability to proc by percentage points in certain increments. The exact math can be posted later, as I'm not aware of it currently.

Healing Masteries:
    Priest
    Holy: Your direct healing spells heal for an additional 10% over 6 sec. Each point of Mastery adds an additional 1.25% over 6 sec.
    Discipline: Increases the potency of all your absorption spells by 20%. Each point of Mastery increases the potency of absorbs by an additional 2.5%.

Druids
    Restoration:
    Increases the potency of your healing spells by 10% on targets already affected by one of your heal over time spells. Each point of Mastery increases heal potency by an additional 1.25%

Shaman
    Restoration:
    Increases the potency of your direct healing spells by up to 20%, based on the current health level of your target (lower health targets are healed for more). Each point of Mastery increases direct heals by up to an additional 2.5%.

Paladins
    Holy:
    Your healing spells place an absorb shield on your target for 8% of the amount healed lasting 6 sec. Each point of Mastery increases the absorb amount by an additional 1%.

This thread is for discussion, not QQ

My question to you all of you is: what are you conclusions for the Masteries for the class you play? Where does it fit in the current stat priorities? Are you reforging it to get it right now? If something doesn't feel right, how could it be better? Theorycrafting is welcome and encouraged, not all of us are awesome with numbers, but some of us are. You don't need to theorycraft to discuss, but try not to spit in the face of what the numbers show and use reasonable logic for your arguments if you don't have numbers to back it up.

This thread is meant to be a place for people to go to to learn about how their Mastery works, and also to discuss their thoughts on it.

On Shaman Mastery:
    It's a progress stat. If you are doing hard fights where people tend to drop low it's a great tool, yet on any fights where movement > gear check it's a total waste really. Right now I'm only reforging Spirit into Mastery partially because mana is still not a problem and partially because I use most of my gear for Elemental now, which needs MAstery more than 23% hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

On Paladin Mastery:

I really like the idea of the mini shields from our mastery, so I reforged my crit and haste to mastery and spirit with an emphasis on mastery. I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of "real world" benefits I actually see since it doesn't seem to look really great numbers wise. However, I kind of see it as a buy-some-time type thing to allow for slow casting of larger heals - if it works for that, it will be great.

Numbers-wise, it's not going to show up on healing meters, since it isn't directly healing.

However, there are issues with the Mastery. I was going to wait a bit before posting it, but I suppose I'll bring it up now.

Conceptually, I think the Holy Paladin mastery is my favorite. It feels so flavorful and different, and adds a fun mechanic rather than simply "buffing healing" like some of the others seem to do. However, Mastery is being looked upon favorably by theorycrafters right now, and for good reason. Aside from the Tank (and even sometimes on the Tank this will be true) many of the shields will simply be wasted. Either damage won't happen or a new heal will replace the shield. If you're really putting the heals on fast then you're replacing the shields constantly without them having an effect.

It would be nice to have the shields role or have additive effects, but that would likely make it TOO good. Hopefully some balance will be found, because, right now, as cool as our Mastery is, it doesn't seem terribly useful yet.

However, the healing style is supposed to change in Cataclysm. If Blizzard really does stick to their plan, our shields might end up being worth a bit more, since they're being replaced less. So long as they get used up, it could easily make our Mastery more valuable. I certainly hope so, because I really like it.

Paladin mastery:
    I reforged all my crit/spirit to mastery. sitting at 18%. in a 11/12hc clear of icc it topped my heals with 35%. ICC is all about damage prevention, so things might change in cata. I would really love it if they added some sort of animation to our Illuminated healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gortia View Post
    Paladin mastery:
    I reforged all my crit/spirit to mastery. sitting at 18%. in a 11/12hc clear of icc it topped my heals with 35%. ICC is all about damage prevention, so things might change in cata. I would really love it if they added some sort of animation to our Illuminated healing.
    Parse? It seems odd to me that it would do this, given all we've seen of how it works. Also, it shouldn't be in any heals at all, should be among absorbs.

Speaking of which, is absorb finally fixed in the meters? I noticed that Recount comes with absorb. I just hope this isn't guessed absorb since I didn't trust this. At all. And stayed clear of it for the last 1.5 years.

I'm not too sure about masteries, TBH. They seem to be better than haste since they offer some benefit at no higher mana cost(when compared to haste) and it is more predictable than crit. But OTOH if your spec benefits from crit(like with Aegis) or you plan to use excruciatingly slow spells in the spammy WotLK environment then I'd say leave mastery be for the time being.

Speaking as Disc:
    There seems to be a bug that caps the size of your Aegis at your health levels and not that of your target. No matter how much mastery I had my Aegis stayed at 6ksomething.
    While this could be a display bug or it might even have been fixed with the recent hotfix I'm sticking to crit and haste.
    I reforged all my spi to haste/crit in order to maximize Heal/Smite spam. I can only advise against this since you will run afoul of your mana pool if you aren't extra careful. If you abuse the heck out of Atonement/Archangel and Heal/SoS then you will be golden. Until the going gets tough which seems to be the default in WotLK.

I'm staying away from mastery for the time being.
    Last edited by Mačl; 10-18-2010 at 01:15 AM.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Parse? It seems odd to me that it would do this, given all we've seen of how it works. Also, it shouldn't be in any heals at all, should be among absorbs.
    I run recount guessed absorbs, and recount absorbs&heals(which just adds raw healing w/ absorbs). No recount guessed absorbs isn't currently updated to count Illuminated healing, but with this quick fix it does;

Go into RecountGuessedAbsorbs in your addon folder. Open GuessedAbsorbs_Mode in notepad, scroll down till you see Sacred shield under paladin. On the line directly below that enter this;

[86273] = 6, -- Illuminated Healing

Gortia, I run vanilla Recount as Disc and I find it displays Absorb after 4.0.1.
    I don't have GuessedAbsorbs installed. Yet it counts PW:S and Aegis.

I've not seen the Pally shields, tho. Do you know if they added GuessedAbsorbs to vanilla Recount or has Blizz somehow managed to write who's shield actually did do the absorb into combat log?
    I'm still very much consufed about this change.
    Last edited by Mačl; 10-18-2010 at 04:10 AM.

On my priest, I've reforged a bit of crit and spirit to mastery. I believe I'm sitting at 10.94 mastery. My thinking behind this was to keep my crit above 20% and my haste at 25% while still having 600+ in combat mana regeneration unbuffed.
    I use the same gear for both disc and holy, and last night, while running ICC25 as holy, my mastery (Echoes) was 13% of my overall healing during the heavy fights like heroic BQL and heroic fester. I think that I'm at a very comfortable place with my gear considering I was spamming Flash of Light and Prayer of Healing a lot more than I normally do on heroic BQL and ended the fight with 10% mana after using Shadowfiend early on.
    So overall, I think that I found a good mix for this portion of the game pre-cata. I don't believe that I'll try to get any more mastery, but my opinion might change in the future.

To comment on Mael's question about the Recount absorbs, I'm also curious about this. I also run the normal recount with no additives, updated the other day with the current Recount from curse, and on the fights that the disc priest was spamming the raid with shields, her healing shot through the roof. More than tripled the heals of myself, the other holy priest, the shaman, the druid, and the pally. I would like to find out if these numbers are fully accurate since I don't bother with logs of any kind, but if they are, it'll save the trouble from bad raid leaders who don't understand the disc healing idea... constantly seeing them half as low as the second to lowest healer on Recount and telling them they are bad.

To my knowledge, the reason why it was "guessed" absorbs is because the combat log itself isn't very clear about the source of the absorption spells in many cases. Unless the combat log itself has changed in that regard in 4.0.1, Recount Absorbs will be no different than a built-in version of GuessedAbsorbs.

My thought on resto shaman mastery, is it will matter more in cataclysm, when health pools are even larger. The effect is scalar rather than static, and -- so far -- I'm not seeing people's health dip low often enough to justify reforging mastery.

I'm not too sure about the Pally mastery and the Disc Aegis. In the WotLK environment these could mean that you could avoid a tank being two-shot. Which was huge. But in Cata with bigger health pools (see exhibit a) I have the strong suspicion that the Holy priest, druid and shaman masteries(esp shaman) will be much more powerful.

We shall see. This seems to be a rather well rounded lot. And it certainly lends itsself to a rather unique play style. Even tho the pally mastery looks suspiciously like something I have seen before...

But before Cata? I'd rather stick to haste(now that it affects about anything) and crit(now that it affects anything).
    I reforged all my spirit to haste, crit and mastery(in that order) and I have to be very proactive with my mana CDs as a Disc priest. Still got the mojo, darling.

I enjoy the druid mastery. Takes the stacking HoTs idea from something similar to Nourish and adds it to the flair of HoTs themselves. Makes it really interesting since the class seems to be moving in the slow direction of tank healing / mid-level raid healing. While it isn't something that is easy to tell its strength yet (on live -- and beta will certainly see re-balancing since raid healing is being observed) because the loss of so much haste, crit, or spirit to convert over to mastery at this point is so damaging since it all plays such a big role in HoTs these days (minus the spirit which I am sure I could lose some of since I have trouble getting to 90% mana.. ever)

But in Cata scales, it will be amazing imo, but a lot of it is speculation at this point.

The thing about quantifying the value of the resto shaman mastery is that it's nearly impossible to determine the average % health of raid members over a given fight. Even on fights where raid damage is fairly low, the fact that most of our heals have some form of a smart heal component (chain heal bounces/ancestral awakening) which automatically target the players with the lowest health could drastically inflate the value of mastery. currently the variables fluctuate so much that it's hard to give a set value for the stat.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatme View Post
    The thing about quantifying the value of the resto shaman mastery is that it's nearly impossible to determine the average % health of raid members over a given fight.
    Qualitatively, I'm not feeling a need for it yet.

I'm playing Holy Priest, and no such think as too much Mastery exsist!
    As i see it, EoL is a blessing when we once in a while single target heals (acusally happens alot)

As for my OS, Disc - well.. buff it, please more default value. In my opinion Disc isn't even usefull anymore, compared to Holy.
    Im sitting with 0 additional mastery atm, as im a Hastewhore (Renew spam is btw. ftw)

The day im asked to go single target healing for good, i will go for Mastery as a prior.
    For Cata I've decided i want a haste and a mastery gear set. I know that was OT. my bad.
    Anyways, Mastery to me, isnt my prior untill the day im asked to tank heal.

Does haste affect more ticks on EoL?
    Last edited by Pesko; 10-18-2010 at 03:10 PM.

When i first heard about the Paladin mastery i was pretty excited. I was considering it from the aspect of WotLK healing and thus was considering the big shields I'd be putting on the tanks.

With the changes to the paladin healing style though it seems to have been devalued. We're no longer out and out tank healers, so as stated previously a lot of the shields would probably not be put to much use.

I struggle to believe that the shields accounted for 35% of anyone's healing. In fact that would require such an insane amount of overhealing that's probably impossible to achieve.

Looking at how the Paladin plays now a mastery somehow linked to Holy Power/WoG might have been nice. At the moment though i really feel that some of the paladins talents and the paladin mastery are at odds with one another, some promote single target focussed healing, others raid healing, but the don't compliment each other.

Conversely the priest mastery does little to excite but is certainly much more effective than the paladin mastery assuming that your heals don't heal someone to full health, which i assume will often be the case in Cata come the larger health pools.

Ah, do not diss teh almighty shield.

If the new Recount is to be trusted 35% of my healing can be by absorb. If you are in an encounter with high raid damage and you go PW:S happy or if you have high crit and spam healing(and therefore Aegis) on the tank and go PW:S happy it's not unheard of.
    All you need is an environment where your shields are going to be consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Ah, do not diss teh almighty shield.

If the new Recount is to be trusted 35% of my healing can be by absorb. If you are in an encounter with high raid damage and you go PW:S happy or if you have high crit and spam healing(and therefore Aegis) on the tank and go PW:S happy it's not unheard of.
    All you need is an environment where your shields are going to be consumed.
    For a disc priest, yes, but for the small little pally shields? I'd really have to see it to believe it.

+ Reply to Thread