+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disc - 85... OOM

Disc - 85... OOM

Hi,

I finally reached lvl 85, and item level 332
    Im running with 75k mana and 110k hp (with my own buffs)

In a 85 normal instance after a group of mobs Im almost OOM, and with a bigger group I almost everytime need to use shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope to have enough mana, and sometimes need an innervate.

The shield will most of the times be destroyed after a single hit from a mob (85 elite)
    I tried using Heal but the cast time really sucks (2.3 sec)

What I do is
    pre-shield, pre-PoM
    Shield always up when ready and so is PoM
    Then I try to keep Heal up, but most of the time I need to go down and use flash heal just to keep the tank up.

Talent point is 31/7/3 (no archangel) (no improved renew) (3% haste)

Now I tried a 85 HC (Lost City) - and it was impossible with the first boss.
    DPS was around 7k x 3 - but only managed to get the boss down to 50% then I have used HoH, Fiend, Pain Supression, Divine Hymn

Any advice what I do wrong - or is it just a nightmare to be a healer now?

its just a nightmare to be a healer now.
    Give urself some time to re-learn how to heal and say to ur tank to use all his CDs, and ofc, tell to ur dpsers to not suck on basic mechanics and avoid unecessary dmg.
    I'm having a lot of issues as Disc, but i'm using agressive heal for heroics. So, spam smite (to keep tanks and melees always healed with attornement), use arcangel always on CD (yes, u'll need to change ur spec) and help the noobs doing 7k dps to make the fight not that longer.
    I'm not using FH anymore, only REALLY if the tank is ready to die and I have no more CDs for him. So, spam Heal if u cant just spam Smite > Arcangel and u'll not be OOM.
    For the rangeds getting dmg, use heal for them, never use FH or ofc, u'll be OOM really fast.
    Blizz increased every1 HPs like 5-7x and forgot to increase our base heals. Deal with that til we get so OP and overgeared.

Im having the same issues atm. Some is my fault but just as much are the groups im running with at fault.

How often do they CC the thrash? How often do they get damage from mechanics they do not get?
    Stuff like that is a major issue to why ppl are taking a shitload of damage they shouldnt be taking. Mana is an MAJOR issue atm and so is haste imo but it can be dealt with. Just relax abit more. For every heal U throw from now on ask yourself do I need to throw this. Alot of fights U acctualy dont have to spam ppl can be on red for awhile and it wont matter as much as it has done.

One thing I notice ALOT in randoms is melee taking cleave damage that is a mess. Bad bad melee . Also tell your tank to keep it cool mana is issue today I need a drink or youll die

Yeah, I'd say if dps are doing stupid things, let them die a couple times so they get the point. "I do NOT have the mana to waste on you if you're doing stupid things."

Try to use greater heal to top back up the tank if you can instead of flash heal when he's getting low. Shield>Borrowed Time Greater Heal is awesome. It may take a bit longer, but it heals for more and is more efficient.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

must admit from a tank perspective i did find the Disc priest and Holy pala to have some difficulties
    our shammy heals didnt seem so badly affected but im not sure if that was because he has adapted fast or due to the class

Had a little chat with Disc healer and using my CD's intelligently i managed to make her life alot easier

i think its just a combination of New content, New mechanics (ie not having to spam heals) and the "wotlk Mindset" of Dps
    I was eating totally avoidable shdow strikes all last night because everyone has the attitude of "its just trash no need to interupt that"

Anyway just my 2 cents

It's bad for all healers

Tell the group this is not Wrath, they need to take it slow and CC.

I also tell all my groups you stand in bad stuff your going to die.

The biggest problem is what I call "Wrath Kids", that started in wrath and think they can still steamroll 5 mans.

i have a level 85 druid, and it is a complete nightmare to heal now! i have done all sorts of things, such as switching my bar around with what heals to use etc...but i think its mainly because i have very retarded groups and someone other than the tank is always taking the damage, atleast two DPS from pulling. No one doesn't understand yet, that you can't do stupid crap and get away with it anymore. But during boss fights, when the tank is generally the only one taking damage in the dungeons that i have done *i haven't done very many, because my internet sucks atm.* i still run out of mana. with my innervate. sometimes i run out of mana during trash mobs, with my innervate. ;-; if there is a druid out there, that is doing better than me please let me know what to do! i don't mean to QQ because i do understand blizzard wanted to make things more of a challenge. i would like to say i didn't start healing until the beginning of wrath of lich king, and everyone says it was face rolling but i would like to disagree. i never had a problem with my mana regen until cata and i'm not for sure why because spirit was something i always loved to stack.

what i generally do:
    rejuv on tank
    three lifebloom stacks
    healing touch on tank when taking lots of damage

wild growth on everyone when everyone is taking alot of damage
    swiftmend to do my blanket heal on melee when they are taking alot of damage/and or range when they are

when everyone is about to die, i regrowth everyone as well with the wild growth.

my spec atm:
    0/3/38
    no talent points in fury of stormrage, nature's ward, and swift rejuv....3 points in feral in furor to help increase my mana.

Make sure people are interrupting the boss cast.

I try to use Lifebloom and then nourish, when I proc a free cast I use regrowth or healing touch. I am still spamming regrowth to much when pulls go bad.

Its not like wrath we run out of mana so pop innervate early and pot if you have to.

I've decided to simply go shadow until they buff priests again...no sense in smashing my head against the wall each night. No matter how much I ask tanks and DPS to be mindful of their splash damage, to crowd control, to simply stand outside of the fire...they always figure out ways to do it. (Gotta love pugs) I tell the tank I have to drink after each pull and he will chain pull after 4 or 5 pulls and we all die.

So yeah, healing is a nighmare for the time being. Not worth the headache medicine.

yea, I am willing to put up wih the 40+ minute dps queue times just because of how painful healing is atm... They need to do something to fix it or this game is going to circle the drain because nobody is going to want to heal at all

It's ugly for healers right now but it helps a lot to CC, CC, and CC some more. Ask your tank and DPS for CC if they're not volunteering. "It would make my job easier if you sheep the square and trap the moon" etc. Sometimes tanks etc will really want to fight you because they're used to just AoE-ing everything to death, but CC helps A LOT.

PW:Shield = good.
    Prayer of Mending = good.
    Penance = good.
    Heal = filler apparently, but I still don't find myself using it.
    Greater Heal = good.
    Flash Heal = bad.

I don't think I've touched flash heal once since getting to 85. PW:S before the pull, pop off a PoM, penance as soon as the tank starts to take damage, then (bring back the old tactics!) 'stopcast' a Greater Heal.
    Start casting a GH. If it looks like the tank's health deficit is 20k or more, let the heal go off. If it looks like the GH is going to be mostly overheal, move to interrupt the cast. Then, start casting it again.

Our mana sucks in dungeons, but we perform well in raids. I'm sure Blizzard will be doing something to fix it eventually. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Liliyah View Post
    PW:Shield = good.
    Prayer of Mending = good.
    Penance = good.
    Heal = filler apparently, but I still don't find myself using it.
    Greater Heal = good.
    Flash Heal = bad.

I don't think I've touched flash heal once since getting to 85. PW:S before the pull, pop off a PoM, penance as soon as the tank starts to take damage, then (bring back the old tactics!) 'stopcast' a Greater Heal.
    Start casting a GH. If it looks like the tank's health deficit is 20k or more, let the heal go off. If it looks like the GH is going to be mostly overheal, move to interrupt the cast. Then, start casting it again.

Our mana sucks in dungeons, but we perform well in raids. I'm sure Blizzard will be doing something to fix it eventually. D:
    I was disc pre cata, I know mana didn't matter then, but holy was a mana burner for me back then for sure compared to disc. However, Im finding that holy is much more mana efficient for me now then disc (shocking as it is). With cc, dps being smart and not standing in fire and such I am able to manage my resources enough to keep everyone alive, nowhere near topped off but alive. Disc however, shielding seems utterly useless to me since the bubbles pop instantly and just suck mana, heal isnt nearly strong enough to maintain people, and neither is smite/attonement.

And, the question begs to be asked, You say healers are performing well in raids, but not in 5 mans.... how on earth are we supposed to gear up for raids if we can barely get through a 5 man reg, much less a heroic 5 man? Did blizz just have a massive brain-fart there?

I ran in to do raids in greens and blues. >.<

Go shadow?
    Or get a good guild group together to run heroics as a healer. If you're trying to pug... good luck.

Or respect to holy and stack tons of spirit.
    I did that this weekend and could easily farm my gear from heroics.

I've encountered priests who went OOM halfway through a trash pull, and I've encountered priests who could make it through difficult boss fights with 40%+ mana left over. I even ran heroic Deadmines with a paladin the other night who never dropped below 80% mana.

I really think it has a lot more to do with your dps/tank playing well and the healer using mana efficiently more than it has to do with inherent mana issues. On deadmines last night, for example, the dps interrupted every spellcast, I stunned the mobs much of the time, the warlock stunned mobs much of the rest of the time, and I had up shield block/shield wall much of the rest of the time. We used CC on maybe 4 pulls, where the pulls merited them. It just pays to play smart right now.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by Srwendigo View Post
    Or respect to holy and stack tons of spirit.
    I did that this weekend and could easily farm my gear from heroics.

You don't have to be Holy to stack spirit. ALL healers should be stacking spirit. That said, Holy is better for 5man Heroics atm.

I'm currently stacking sprit first and haste second. Crit and mastery are currently on hold.

If you want to improve your healing style, watch your overheal. Overheal = wasted mana = not too good.

Stop-casting jumping GH might be your best bet for the time being. Apart from that I have decided to make getting a more powerful Heal my first priority. Archangel seems to be a bit risky and I think I prefer 3% more haste to it.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

My main is a resto shaman. While I'm not a disc priest, my thoughts on this should still be very applicable.

Keeping in mind that I am largely doing all-guild runs, or at least runs where at least three people are from my guild:

Healing isn't a disaster, just an adjustment. The healer's job is no longer to be an endless mana battery that can thoughtlessly keep everyone at or near 100% health; our job now is to be able to prevent death from unavoidable damage, and the occasional slip-up, when it isn't too colossal an error.

I'm not claiming I have it all figured out, but it definitely isn't a disaster, and I find the change enjoyable. I find I'm thinking more about what I'm doing, and when I am familiar with a fight, trying to plan ahead.

The biggest issues I have as a healer is when CC should have been used but wasn't, and when people (including tanks) stand in stuff they really, really shouldn't. These are things which are easily correctable with a group that is willing to learn... which is why I run with guildies.
    Last edited by Bashal; 12-13-2010 at 09:46 AM.

I appreciate the idea of making a rebump of the old "use all cooldown" and "you can't make all of them be alive" styles, but I must admit that use dungeon finder is actually a pain. I hope more people get in the order of making instances (dungeon and HCs) in the same way they meet raids. It's what Blizzard want, It's actually what we need.

+ Reply to Thread