+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rage Gen and Swing Speed

Rage Gen and Swing Speed

So I'm wondering if weapon swing speed affects the amount of rage you get per swing. Mainly something like a 3.8 vs a 3.4. Will having a 3.4 speed weapon allow me to generate more rage since I'm white hitting more often? Or will I generate the same amount of rage due to getting more rage per swing from the slow weapon than the fast weapon?

Faster weapon speed = more rage. you dont get extra rage for crits or heaver normal damage. Having a faster weapon is good, but dont sacrifice weapon damage in your main hand for faster swing timers, and never give up stats for it.

I am grinding out a Zin'Rokh for PvP and since it's a 3.8 speed, was thinking about picking up a few of the haste offpieces to bring it down to about 3.6 speed.

And that's what I thought it was (faster weapon = more rage) but people over on the official forums were all saying otherwise. ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1670089878 )

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    Faster weapon speed = more rage.
    Is rage not normalized?. If I remember correctly 6.5 * weapon speed. Though there are considerations in there (flurry, haste, ...)

Blue post quote from Bornakk, Sourced from wow insider

1) Rage is no longer generated based on damage done by auto-attacks. Instead, each auto-attack provides a set amount of Rage, and off-hand weapons will generate 50% of the Rage main hands do. This amount is based on a constant formula which factors in the base swing speed of the weapon. This means the Rage gained should be averaged out between fast and slow weapons. The constant formula also gives us the ability to easily increase the rage gained if it feels too low (or reduce it if is too high). We are also implementing the following mechanics, which will still allow rage to improve to some extent as you improve gear:

If the attack is a critical strike, it will generate 200% Rage.
    Haste will accelerate swing times to generate Rage faster.

Source Post "http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/04/05/rage-normalization-in-cataclysm/"

So it is based on swing speed of the weapon? Nice. Also.... ummm... crits giving more rage? I thought that was removed before that went live. That is dated mid 2010, after all.

Ya, I'm 95% positive that crits no longer grant extra rage... but I can't find any blue posts updating that fact. So it looks like someone needs to get testing on this. I would but my crit chance is less than 5% right now...

So if that piece is outdated, we still can't be sure if rage is it normalized to weapon speed or normalized to weapon type? I guess that's far easier to test than the crit -> rage interaction. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

+ Reply to Thread