+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chimaeron

Ok,can someone explain when hes about to cast double attack. Because, when I was trying to do this fight today and was taunting when dbm said double attack, I was still missing them and then healers would complain that I was missing them. I did ask the other tank and in raid how do I know when he's going to double attack but nobody seemed to know.

Should have a claw icon then his next attack is double attack

Its a buff he puts on himself to clarify.

For us using one tank in 10man is so much easier.

We are currently 10/12 normal modes, so not great geared/amazing players but we found this boss really simple with this strat:

1 tank (feral druid)
    3 healers
    6 dps

1 healer (shammy in this case) on me the tank
    1 healer (pally) on group 1 with beacon on me
    1 healer (druid) on group 2 with LB's on me with he could.

Idea was the shammy healed NO-ONE but me, and the pally and druid could only heal others once their group was sorted.

Basically it means I am around 50-60% hp almost all of the time and the double attacks are not a problem. I rotate my cd's all of the time to help with healing me.

With this amount of dps it means we only get 3 feuds and we kill him very quickly in final phase. For example I managed to tank him down to 10% of his hp, he ran to our spriest next, he faded, he ran to the mage, and before he got to the mage he died. During 1st feud we use a tranq from me the feral tank, second the spriest divine hymn, and 3rd the resto druid tranq.

And of course, i was using full dodge/agi trinkets for max dodge. Was around 38% dodge during the fight which let me dodge alot of double attacks.

Did this fight tonight and was a lot of fun!

Setup:

Fury Warrior
    Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

I main tanked the boss as fury and even in zerker stance, getting misdirects and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint (because of the bile-o-tron bot) every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings. (hello ragebar )

My Prot Paladin would taunt (without righteous fury up) a second or two after the boss got the double attack buff. (i think the buff is like an 'on next swing' type of thing. this is why he delayed it so that i would rip aggro right back off after he took the hit)

Very fast fight! we were kind of sloppy at the end, but we are definitely going to do this fight like this from now on.

link to the video (hopefully youtube processes it quickly to view above 240p quality)
    PoV of a Mage DPS guildie. (he dies lol! he thought the phase2 was at 25%)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzYNwUg4rk
    Last edited by supmeow; 01-25-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added video link

Quote Originally Posted by Carighan View Post
    It's healing done.
    Meaning the healing the tank does is reduced, not the healing he takes.

This was probably done to not make DK tanks ridiculously powerful as they start taking more and larger blows (since their DS-healing includes absorbed damage, Break would increase DS'es healing steadily).

It has 0 effect on the 10k healing the tank needs after every melee swing to survive the following one.
    I'm not sure on the wording, I do know as a fact that it reduces the healing your healers do on you as a tank. Our paladin is in charge of healing the tanks and he uses one spell to heal through one break [above 10k], one spell to heal the tank with 2 stacks of break, but then he starts using 2 spells to top the break taking tank over 10k. [Not too sure on spell names, but it proves that the healing the paladin does on the tank is less efficent with every stack of break.]

And since I'm already commeting, another commet, tactic wise:

Imo, as mentioned before a MUCH easier way to do it is not swap tanks for break.

What we have to do is having the MT [me, warrior, slightly better geared then the OT] take the double attacks and a paladin take the normal hits. Normal hits will never kill a tank as long as he's above 10k hp [which even with 4 stacks of break, the maximum you'll have before a fued is easily doable. Another healer can help if really needed - we have the OT in range for priest's prayer of mending and I think he also had ES off a shaman.] and he only does double attack 2 or three times between fueds - enough time for our pally to top me to 60-70%. I can take 2 hits then easy, spacially if I save up my shield block and tinket CD's [both avoidance, + parry + dodge on use] for that double attack. Do no fear break stacking above 4, as that's when fued comes and stacks reset.

Generally speaking, the weaker tank gets whacked all the time and only healed to above 10k, the stronger geared tank takes the double attacks. You just aim the boss, and whenever the icon of 'double attack' apears, have the double attack tank taunt. When it's off, the other tank taunts back.

Once our pally tank sorts a DPS os, we're going to try and do the fight with 1 tank. As mentioned in the hc version, a plate dps can work for soaking normal hits just aswell as a tank. Theoreticly, it can even be a cloth healer that takes tho hits...

We only had a couple of attempts on this boss last night, and I have some questions.

25 man. 2 tanks, 7 heals, 16 dps.

I've got the healers to the point where they are healing raid to just over 10k HP, and the tank healers are keeping the tanks up (we were tank swaping, but we're going to change that tonight).

The issue is when he Massacres and knocks the Bile-o-tron offline. We all stack in front of the boss where the tank is. The boss starts feuding. We are healing as much as possible. I can't say that everyone in the raid is at 100%, but we're healing as much as we can, for the full 30 seconds. 15 seconds later, he starts throwing his Yuck-Bolts at us, the first one hurts, the second one kills, and the third is just a big *middle finger* to us.

We have never lived through one Feud phase.

What are we doing wrong?

A would rigg a few things.
    1. Try 8 healers abit harder enrage wise but works well if you got the dps.
    2. Make damn sure your dps helps out. Healthstones bandages etc is a key thing here.
    3. Disc priest in raid? Use barrier.
    4. Make sure your healers have assiigns and push out every ground healing effekt U got.

Quote Originally Posted by supmeow View Post

Setup:

Fury Warrior
    Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

I main tanked the boss as fury and even in zerker stance, getting misdirects and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint (because of the bile-o-tron bot) every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings. (hello ragebar )

My Prot Paladin would taunt (without righteous fury up) a second or two after the boss got the double attack buff. (i think the buff is like an 'on next swing' type of thing. this is why he delayed it so that i would rip aggro right back off after he took the hit)

Very fast fight! we were kind of sloppy at the end, but we are definitely going to do this fight like this from now on.

link to the video (hopefully youtube processes it quickly to view above 240p quality)
    Holy shit, that's a great idea. Can't wait to try it out with my guild.

does Darkmoon Card: Greatness work in lifting you above the 10k mark?

I can do the math, so it makes sense that it would. just wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
    Worse than you.

Has anyone had any experience with a double attack being clipped off by massacre? I've noticed this but on certain attempts it happened later in the fight. However it seems when the first double attack gets clipped it's certain every other double attack will get clipped

Roughly it's like

double attack -> double attack (massacre is at like 5 seconds or less) -> massacre happens instead of double attack -> feud -> repeat

It seems like it should be a good way to free up raid heals to get everyone 10k+ for the upcoming massacre. Since the sponge tank only needs to be above 10k for it. Is this something anyone else finds useful, or have they found any particular way to manipulate or use it to their advantage?

The hardest part of the encounter is surviving feud. In order to surive it you can do the following things (there is also a good guide on this at: http://25man.com/cata-guides/chimaeron). Basically you do the following:

- Feud last 30 seconds, so dont pop every cooldown in the first 10 seconds, take 30 seconds into account.
    - Use light-well left and right of the middle: and let everyone click it when stacking up

Use the following cooldowns:
    (Prot) Paladins – Divine Sacrifice (aka raidwall) and/or Divine Guardian
    Resto Druids - Tranquility
    Disc Priests - PW:Barrier
    Resto Shamans – Healing rain, Shadow priests use hymn,
    Holy Paladins - Divine Favor and Avenging Wrath (+Holy Radiance) and Guardian of Ancient Kings
    Holy priests spamm PoH

- Especially PW: Barrier helps gigantically much. If you struggle let one priest spec disc and get PW: barrier.
    - Also let DPS Shamans/paladins etc help with healing during feud (let them Stop DPS and help with healing).
    - Having more than 7 healers shouldnt be needed (8 is a bit on the high side).
    - If you still struggle it might be something with assignments or gear.

As my guild's healer lead, I've assigned healers this way:

Holy priests: 6 targets. Stay in heal chakra, Heal if one target gets Caustic Slime'd, Heal+HWS if two, PoH if more than two, Binding Heal+PoH if yourself and 2-3 in your assigned group. Pick a ranged DPSer to be your PoH target that's somewhere within 30 yards of the rest.

Druids: tank healing. Roll LB on the MT and keep the OT (double strike tank) at full

Rsham: 3 targets. HW if one, RT+HW if two, RT+HW+HW if three, or RT+HW+Unleash Elements. If RT's on CD start using HS instead. If the HW glyph heals for enough, they can take 4 targets including themselves, but I'm not sure.

Hpal: 5 targets, including themselves. Bacon on one target, HL for one non-bacon target, HL+WoG if two, 2FoL+WoG if three. There's JUST time in between Caustic Slimes (5 seconds?).

Disc priest: GTFO and respec something useful. Sure PWB is good but PoH+CoH is good too, and this way you won't be forced into tank healing.

Shadow priests at least, maybe retardins as well do not need to be healed for Caustic Slime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooburn View Post
    Disc priest: GTFO and respec something useful. Sure PWB is good but PoH+CoH is good too, and this way you won't be forced into tank healing.
    This gotta be one of the most ignorant things ive read in here. Playing disc at chim currently and honestly I can easily win any meter on this fight and I can REALLY easy keep up 5 ppl during the hole encounter hence I keep 5 ppl up no issue at al. Adding barrier during feud and I can do this blind. So if you are assigning your healers to 1 group and got a decent disc folling U this is face roll on atleast 1 group

Yeah, I was being flippant, chill out. I didn't think Discipline was well suited to Chimaeron and I'm not the only one that feels this way. Being forced into PoH on Caustic Slime doesn't seem great, are you using Penance/Flash for <2 targets? Either way seems mana inefficient, but if you're comfortable taking a group and don't have issues that's great. I'm not sure what you mean by "folling".

Also the meter part is irrelevant obviously.

What is the addon that the hpally is using for his holy power? i would like to use that as well if they are willing to share addon thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by supmeow View Post

Setup:

Fury Warrior
    Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

fury gear, tank gear, or mix?

We completed this fight tonight after about 2 hours of wiping. Our setup was as follows:

Tanks:
    Protection Paladin
    Retribution Paladin

Heals:
    3x Resto Druid
    1x Resto Shama

DPS:
    Rogue
    Warrior
    Hunter x2

We had no problem with the enrage time on this fight what so ever. We also found the use of the retribution paladin as a break absorbing tank to be ver effective. Just have the prot pali take the actual hit from Double Attack. Also as ret its hand to have Divine Storm on spam to help keep ppl above the 10k.

Over all a very fun fight. My heart was racing in those last few seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post

Intervene doesn't work on double-attack because it's a style instead of a regular hit.
    Intervene works to absorb a double attack hit. I know this because we did this tonight.

This method relies a bit on RNG because the warrior ran in to intervene and both him and the DPS tank got hit with a caustic slime then the double attack so they both died. Out of about 6 attempts this only happened once.

..and to clarify what's happening, because I think it's unfamiliarity with the skill..

Chimaeron casts the double attack buff. The warrior intervenes, which leaves a 10 second buff on the target intervened. Chimaeron eventually attacks (and then attacks immediately again). First attack goes to the warrior.. 2nd to whoever is highest on threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    Intervene works to absorb a double attack hit. I know this because we did this tonight.

This method relies a bit on RNG because the warrior ran in to intervene and both him and the DPS tank got hit with a caustic slime then the double attack so they both died. Out of about 6 attempts this only happened once.

..and to clarify what's happening, because I think it's unfamiliarity with the skill..

Chimaeron casts the double attack buff. The warrior intervenes, which leaves a 10 second buff on the target intervened. Chimaeron eventually attacks (and then attacks immediately again). First attack goes to the warrior.. 2nd to whoever is highest on threat.
    If I understand this correctly this would make the double attack mechanic MUCH easier, whilst freeing up healer capacity.
    i.e. The Main Tank takes Chim the whole time stacking break up high. A warrior intervens the MT in time for double attack, such that the warrior takes the first hit and the MT takes the second effectively meaning that no one needs to be kept topped up, only kept above 10K so much less healing is focused on the tanks.

Posts i've read else where suggest that the intervening warrior would infact take BOTH of the double attacks (even without the glyph) which would make taunt swapping a better way.

edit: typo's corrected

Quote Originally Posted by TitanPrime View Post

Posts i've read else where suggest that the intervening warrior would infact take BOTH of the double attacks (even without the glyph) which would make taunt swapping a better way.
    We were doing this on regular 10 mode. When executed properly (IE: the intervene is done in time).. the DPS tank and intervening warrior were both dropping to 1 health after a double attack.

Dunno what to tell you. I should start logging more :P

+ Reply to Thread