+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Twilight Ascendant Council

Twilight Ascendant Council

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Bastion of Twilight Raid Guide! My name is Aliena, and in this video I'll show you everything you have to know about the Ascendant Council, the third encounter in this new raid instance. We completed this fight with 2 tanks, 6 healers and 17 DPS, but similar raid configurations may work just as well.

The council is a three-phase encounter and you face a total of 5 opponents. In the first phase, you're up against Ignacious, a fire elemental Ascendant Lord, and Feludius, an ice elemental Ascendant Lord. In the second phase, you face off against Arion, who's an air elemental Ascendant Lord and Terrastra, an earth elemental Ascendant Lord. In the third phase, all four entities combine into an Elementium Monstrosity, which combines all four elements in one.

While the first two phases require near perfect execution, the third phase is definitely a soft enrage DPS test. As soon as one Lord in both phase 1 & 2 hits 25%, you'll trigger the next phase, but you want to make sure both Lords are equally low before doing this each time, as the Elementium Monstrosity starts out with a combined amount of health of all four lords. In short, getting all four Lords as close to 25% as you can gives you the best chance of defeating this encounter.

Ignacious and Feludius will be your first opponents, and as you can probably tell as soon as you engage them, their abilities are meant to counter each other.
    Ignacious should be tanked on one side of the room, surrounded by a tank and melee, while Feludius should be tanked away from the raid, with ranged raid members loosely spread out across the room.

This is because of one of Feludius' abilities - Glaciate, which deals Frost damage to your entire raid but deals less damage the further away you are from him. As such, your ranged raid members should be assigned to DPS him while your melee are safe on Ignacious.

You'll soon notice that each Lord occasionally puts a debuff on random raid members - Feludius has Heart of Ice and Ignacious has Burning Blood. These deal increasing damage to the target but are very vital to the fight, as they give nearby raid members a buff that increases their damage done to the opposing Lord. Players with Burning Blood should make sure to run through the ranged raid members to give them increased damage on Feludius, and players with Heart of Ice need to join the melee pile to give them increased damage on Ignacious. These can be dispelled, but you should give it 10-20 seconds before doing so.

Heart of Ice is especially important whenever Ignacious is about to cast his most devastating ability - Aegis of Flame. This gives him a shield that absorbs a million damage and he'll start channeling Rising Flames, which deals increasing fire damage to every raid member. To interrupt Rising Flames, his shield needs to be burned down asap. Letting too many ticks of rising Flames go off can easily result in a raid wipe. If needed, have ranged help out with the shield, but make sure they go right back to Feludius afterwards so you bring their health down equally.

Ignacious will also occasionally leap at a ranged target, which knocks everyone around the impact point away. On his way back to his tank, he'll leave a trail of flame on the ground. While I always preach not to stand in the flames, this one is actually USEFUL. This is why: Feludius has a Waterbomb ability, which basically looks like small water missiles flying through the air. When they hit a raid member, he'll get a Waterlogged debuff which reduces movement speed.

Running through Ignacious' flame trail clears the waterlogged debuff and NEEDS to be done by everyone affected. Shortly after casting the Waterbombs, Feludius will cast aforementioned Glaciate, and any player that still has a Waterlogged debuff at that time will get frozen in an ice block and take extreme amounts of damage. This is healable, but it's not something you want to happen.

Feludius' last ability is Hydrolance, which deals big single target damage to a random target and should be interrupted. Make sure your ranged raid members and the Feludius tank watch out for this. Ignacious' last ability is Flame Torrent, which is a channeled cone AoE spell that deals major damage. To counter this, don't be in front of his face unless you're the tank.

To recap: In phase 1, interrupt Rising Flames by burning down the Aegis,power up your raid members appropriately by running near them when you have a debuff and clear Waterlogged debuff by running through the flame trail. Once you get one Lord to 25%, the next phase will trigger. It's vital that both Lords hit 25% at about the same time.

Phase 2 will greet you with Arion and Terrastra, which also have mechanics that counter each other. Ranged raid members are more effective on Arion, as he likes to teleport around the room, so leave your melee on Terrastra. As soon as the fight starts, Arion will summon a cyclone that'll move through the room and Terrastra will summon a gravity well. Hitting the cyclone will give you a sort of levitate, while standing in the gravity well will give you a grounded debuff and clear your levitate.

Both of these are very important as both Arion and Terrastra have very devastating ultimate abilities that deal about 100k damage. They'll alternate in casting these about once per minute. Terrastra has Quake, which can be countered by getting Levitate from the cyclone and Arion has Thundershock, which is cancelled by getting grounded from the gravity well. If you don't have the right debuff at the time either of these are cast, you're very likely to die. The wells and cyclones are summoned in random spots around the room and like to move on top of each other, so make sure to get the appropriate debuff early. They always alternate in their casts - so if you just survived a Quake, get grounded to survive the impending Thunderstorm.

There's one exception to the "get the debuff as soon as possible"-rule, and it's called Lightning Rod. Arion will randomly bestow 3 players with this debuff, and they'll have a yellow arrow over their heads. Players with Lightning Rods need to get out of the raid immediately and hug a wall away from anyone else, since Arion will cast Chain Lightning at anyone affected with Lightning Rod after 15 seconds. If any Lightning Rod is still near people at that time, you'll probably have a few deaths.

If you have Lightning Rod and it comes down to having the choice between being near anyone else or not getting your appropriate grounded or levitate debuff, always leave the raid. You can survive a Quake or Thundershock, but if you're firing off a Chain Lightning in the raid, there will be deaths.

Almost as important is Terrastra's Harden Skin ability, which makes him deal double damage and take half damage. This cast can and should be interrupted whenever possible, but if you fail to do so, have your ranged help out on Terrastra to burn his shield down. Lastly, Terrastra will occasionally cast Eruption, which will look like a few spikes burrowing in the ground, and after a few seconds the spikes will impale anyone still in the area for about 50k. Melee should be aware of this, although it's not the end of the world to get hit by it.

Again, the goal in phase two is to bring both Lords to 25% at the same time. If you execute this right, your Elementium Monstrosity should rise up with about 25% health left, which translates to approximately 18 million health.

Phase 3 is the burn phase and any kind of bloodlust should be saved for this. The Monstrosity will consistently spawn water puddles at his feet that kinda work like Defile on the Lich King, except the puddles expand when the Monstrosity stands in them, not your raid members. Aim to keep the Monstrosity towards the middle of the room so your casters don't have to consistently move to keep up with it. The middle area will be covered in puddles at the end, but that way you get the most DPS on it.

Throughout the whole phase, the Monstrosity will use Electric Instability, which is basically a chain lightning that deals more damage the longer the phase goes on. Eventually, your raid will just die to this, so you need to kill the Monstrosity before Electric Instability becomes overwhelming.

It has two more abilities that it'll use occasionally - Lava Seed and Gravity Crush. Lava Seed looks like little flares of fire hitting the ground, and shortly after they do so they'll explode in a little fire patch. This is the bad kinda fire. Don't stand in it.

Gravity Crush will lift 3 players up into the air and trap them in a gravity bubble. They cannot act during this and will take major damage in the bubble, so healers need to concentrate on them. When released, they'll fall to the ground and also take fall damage when they hit it. It's easy to let people die in this but important not to, with current gear level you need every bit of DPS you can get.

If you have enough DPS to defeat the Monstrosity before your raid collapses, it's more or less a tank&spank phase. This might sound like a complex encounter, but since the abilities all play off of each other, it'll be a lot easier once you engage it. Good luck and have fun!

Nice video and gratz for the kill!

you keep improving...i really like the new focus on viewing through the whole fight after explaining all the mechanics tbh....very helpful indeed...still this boss seems like a block for a lot of ppl i would say

oh and the resumé with the cartoonhero was just awesome....more of that plx

Thanks! I think if anything's a block in BoT, this is. The DPS requirement on 25m was harsh, we spent a night wiping at sub-2% consistently until we kept him in the middle, which allowed us to crank out that last bit.

i like this expansion tbh...everything is more about tactic than a gearblock....maybe chimeron for healers but other than that great....it makes more sense tbh....btw i see you do both 10 and 25....do you practice in 10 first and then say ok we can do this in 25 better or what´s the reason about the different setups (10/25)

Will the chain lightning or gravity bubble ever target tanks?

Wowhead shows glaciate as a 200,000 dmg value spell, I'm assuming from the dead center of it.

Should the tanks be moving out when he casts as well? Whereas the fire elemental tank is supposed to just take the flamethrower attack.

As a melee I as having a lot of trouble in p3 when he drops the water pools, I just couldn't seem to find the right distance to attack him while staying out of the pools as he has a tiny hitbox. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahed View Post
    Wowhead shows glaciate as a 200,000 dmg value spell, I'm assuming from the dead center of it.

Should the tanks be moving out when he casts as well? Whereas the fire elemental tank is supposed to just take the flamethrower attack.
    We had the tank move out a little bit for the glaciate, but I don't think it's 200000 honestly. I'm really reluctant to put numbers on anything atm since they seem a bit off. Regardless, if the tank moves a bit when he sees Glaciate casts it means less damage taken, which is always good.

Glaciate does extremely high values of damage when you don't move, my record as of 30 minutes ago was 3.7 million damage before overkill and resist.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 12-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Glaciate insta kills you when you're near the large glowing aoe within 8 yards of the boss. If you're 10 yards from the boss it does about 35k, ideally you'll only take 20k from distance + 187 resist. Heroic leap out and it does 10k.

The final burn phase is pretty painful on 10man even with a perfect 25%/24%, this is the first time in a long time we struggled with a DPS check, either that or we should gkick the 2 melee and just get 5 ranged for a much easier kill.

We were also having a lot of trouble with the ten man soft enrage in P3. we started losing people to chain lightning and the bubble at around 1500k, our best attempt was at around 900k hp left. Does anyone know how long you effectively have for P3 before the chain lightning becomes unhealable?

Also the tanks need to really watch out for the tornados in P2, last night I took two hits from the spikes and two melee swings from Terrestra In just under a second - around 130k damage.

What should the second tank do in P3? hang around the edge of the room and hope that chain lightning hits him and doesn't chain to the raid?

Additionally, either have a tank paladin or a ranged dps ready to interrupt the first "frost bolt" after glaciate as the melee interrupters might not manage to get back into melee range to stop it going through.

The earth guy spams knockbacks every 1 second on the tank midway to the point that I'm swearing in anger on how completely idiotic and retarded he is, how can you heroic leap 1 yard away from a tornado then be punted 20 times in a row and miss the buff? I usually save my shield wall because he will do that at least once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by tehownerer View Post
    Will the chain lightning or gravity bubble ever target tanks?
    He won't target tanks with lightning but the tank not tanking in the last phase can get targeted with the bubble.

Hi,

We are having some issue with Ignicious as he sometimes decides not to jump and leave us without fire to remove de Felodius debuff... Is there any other requirement that having people at range?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fgicon View Post
    Hi,

We are having some issue with Ignicious as he sometimes decides not to jump and leave us without fire to remove de Felodius debuff... Is there any other requirement that having people at range?

Thanks
    Forget it, they just fixed that.

It seems that when one of the 3 farthest people were less than 20 yards from Ignicious and he was selected then the leap CD was lost.

hi! our guild did a different approach for p2 and its much faster and easier.
    1.) get tornado buff
    2.) clump at mid
    3.) zerg 2 adds lol

if earthquake is casted on the clump just side step. we just eat 2 storms which is tbh really easily healable.

try it you'll be amazed how the fight turns into a joke. GL!

On 25m, I am having issues with Ignacious. His flame torrent is ravaging me for 66k with 17k resisted. I am carrying approximately 189k hp and it just seems that healers cannot keep up with torrent. While I can easily sw through one of the torrents the other ones are just ripping me down faster then my healers can keep up. Externals may be the answer but that is very tough to do from a coordination standpoint. Is anyone else running into this situation? The frequency of the mechanic doesn't seem to merit the use of constant cds.
    Execute for show, tank for dough.

The majority of the tankdeaths on Ignacious were after shieldphase and when he was buffed that his flametorrent actually did alot more damage, which i hope you are referring to since normal damage flametorrent shouldnt be a problem for your healers. We made our tank us his cooldowns after first shield phase(when he gets his +firedmgdone buff through the casting of his aoe), and priest cd' (guardians) for the next ones, usually got 2-3 with each p1 so it worked out fine with just few cooldowns. And it made them be up again for p3.

I don't see anywhere in the notes where Aegis of Flames is actually applying a buff. This would probably be great information to add. What is the name of the buff Ignacious gains? I blacklist most buffs/debuffs (hide them except the ones that are important).
    Execute for show, tank for dough.

+ Reply to Thread