Thread: Blackwing Descent - Maloriak

Blackwing Descent - Maloriak

Tried this fight 2 nights now with no luck. I have yet to see a kill video post-beta so I'm not sure what the best strategy is for it. We are doing this on 10 man with 2 tanks and trying to release the adds slowly and burning them in the green vile phase. Anyone out there with a kill please post your raid composition and strategy. Hopefully tankspot will release a video for the fight soon. If anyone has a kill video post beta post a link if you can.

What exactly is your problem with this fight? If you're looking for recent videos just hit up youtube, search for "Maloriak" and use the search filter for uploads from either today or this week.

Setup: 2 tanks (or 1 tank and an excellent kiter), 2-3 healer; we used 2/3
    Strategy: Kick storm, keep raid up, release 9 adds, nuke them in the first green phase. Kill the other ones in the second green phase and tank him at execute range against the walls, slowly draging him through the room (far away from the seperated adds).

We killed it on monday.

two tanks, warrior on boss, paladin (me) on adds. 9 adds on first green phase, 6 on second. When the 9 adds were up our mage put down a ring of frost to allow me to get some distance. thus we had 3 little adds up in the burn phase, which didn't really bother us. The offtank needs to dps the boss when no adds are up, in our kill try I did 800k damage to Maloriak which made the difference between kill and wipe (5:51 try duration, 9 seconds before berserk). All 5 dps were above 15k, two broke 16k, about 88k raid dps. Blood lust for the final 25%.

The Warlock's Felhunter was set to automatically purge Remedy instantly, our DK interrupted the abberation casts, our warrior tank took care of the arcane storm casts. curse of tongues made the casts interruptable. I am not sure of how our tank dealt with the kick-up in the last phase, but he managed to completely avoid it in the kill try after dying within seconds of it happening in previous tries.

Comp:
    Warrior tank
    paladin tank
    UH dk
    feral dps druid
    fire mage
    affliction warlock
    shadow priest
    resto shaman
    holy priest
    holy paladin

2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 6 DPS

Have you're Raid spread out to the left and right side at the start / on frost phase, leaving the entire mid section for your tank to kite/tank.

Interrupt the first 2 abberation casts and let the other 3 abberation casts through. Approx. 10 secs before the green phase you will have 9 adds up, resulting in heavy damage on your add tank -> kite + use cds. Bomb the adds asap in the green phase.

Be on your toes to purge the self heal off the boss and interrupt every lightning asap.

In the red phase have everyone stack on your tank and the one with the debuff exit to the left/right immediately. If its on the tank, just pop cds and heal it.

Dont nuke the iceblock in the frost phase right away, let your healers heal it full and then give the destruct command.

Nothing special about the boss - just purge/interrupt everything asap, time your add spawns (5 casts in each cycle, 3 adds per cast, 18 adds total - 2 x 3 casts with 9 adds total in each cycle seemed to be the best solution for us).

We're having trouble with the final phase. I'm tanking the boss and absolutely getting destroyed by Magma Jets. From what I understand is we need to be making a circle around him so that they never hit more than a single person at a time, correct? At least that's what we'll be doing next time, because the way we were positioned when we got there I would get hit by them 2-3 times within the first 20 seconds and it just got unhealable. Is there an actual reason to kite him in that phase because I don't see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvaria View Post
    We're having trouble with the final phase. I'm tanking the boss and absolutely getting destroyed by Magma Jets. From what I understand is we need to be making a circle around him so that they never hit more than a single person at a time, correct? At least that's what we'll be doing next time, because the way we were positioned when we got there I would get hit by them 2-3 times within the first 20 seconds and it just got unhealable. Is there an actual reason to kite him in that phase because I don't see one.
    Well, maybe I'm mistaken there but Magma Jets are only supposed to hit the tank. At least thats what happened to us on our 3 kills so far - always hit the tank. Just have your Tank pop CDs for it - remember to always face Maloriak away from the raid though. Avoid the Frost Bombs, OT the adds out of harms way and just dps down the Boss. It has always been the easiest face for us, as long as you heal your tank and face Maloriak away from the raid.

They hit a random target, or at least they should... but there might be a bug... god knows there are plenty of bugs so far
    Also as far as I know the only reason to kite him is to keep him away from the Prime Subjects.

Blackwing Descent - Maloriak

Quote Originally Posted by Archy View Post
    They hit a random target, or at least they should... but there might be a bug... god knows there are plenty of bugs so far
    Also as far as I know the only reason to kite him is to keep him away from the Prime Subjects.
    We killed him on 25-man last night. From what I saw he only ever targeted his high-threat target with the huge flame-of-doom(tm). If he's targeting people in the raid tell your tank to step up the threat and your dps to hit their aggro dumps at 23% or so.

Assuming the attack turns out to actually target the high threat target.

Yes... I presume the tooltip in wowhead is wrong... if we manage to get 10 people together tomorrow I'll test it for sure
    And gz on the kill

From videos I've watched recently, the spell is instant cast, but about 2 seconds before he casts it he will hold his hands up like he's casting a fire spell. That little animation is what I'll be keying off of to move tonight, hopefully it'll let me avoid it completely.

Yes I was right, you can avoid it.

Last edited by Luvaria; 12-29-2010 at 11:33 PM.