+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Math-a-mistake

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    435

    Math-a-mistake

    I need help figuring out what I'm doing wrong here with figuring out combat ratings and diminishing returns.

    reference: http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29453-c..._85_cataclysm/

    Using my armory page as an example:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...denthal/simple

    According to the armory, I have 1905 Parry rating, giving me 10.78% Parry (before DR) with a total of 14.62% Parry after DR is calculated.

    Using the formula in the EJ link:
    Parry% before DR
    = 1905 / 176.71899
    = 10.78

    Same as the toolip on the armory, good.
    Factoring in Diminishing returns:
    = 1 / (1 / 65.631440 + 0.9560 / 10.78)
    = 1 / (0.01523660 + 0.08868)
    = 1 / (0.1039166)
    = 9.62%

    Add in 5% base Parry = 14.62% - which is exactly what the armory shows. Outstanding.

    Now for Dodge.
    Armory mouse-over shows 1481 Dodge rating gives 8.38% Dodge before DR - with a total of 11.77% Dodge after gains from Agility, and DR are taken into account.

    Using the formula in the EJ link:
    Dodge% before DR (from Dodge rating)
    = 1481 / 176.71899
    = 8.38%
    Exactly what the armory mouse-over says, good.

    Using the formula in the EJ link:
    Dodge% before DR (from Agility)
    = 120 / 430.69289874
    = .2786%

    Total Pre-DR Dodge chance = 8.38+.2786 = 8.6586%

    Factoring in Diminishing returns:
    = 1 / (1 / 65.631440 + 0.9560 / 8.6586)
    = 1 / (0.01523660 + 0.11041 )
    = 1 / (0.125647)
    = 7.9588

    Add in 5% base = 12.9588%

    This is what I can't figure out. Calculating my diminished Dodge is about 1.19% off of what my character sheet says it should be. It's not something as simple as a rounding error. I also thought about mistakes with adding Agility into the equation, but removing Agility doens't change the numbers a whole lot. (from 7.96 to 7.73 diminished Dodge).

    What am I doing wrong? I can't figure out how to make my Dodge rating come out to the correct percentage using the above formulae.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    22
    Your dodge calculation is twice inaccurate :
    * the dodge that is outsourced from base agility is not subject to DR()
    * the base dodge isn't a flat 5%, it's 3.758% (for Warriors, as it's class-specific) plus whatever comes from base agility (for a level 85 Orc Warrior, that's 120 agility; it does change, albeit slightly, depending on race/class/level)

    pre-DR() dodge : ~8.38% (as per armory profile). DR(dodge) : ~7.73%. Non-DR() dodge : ~4.04%. Grand total : 11.77%.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    435
    goo


    Thanks, was sure I was missing something.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts