+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Prot Warr] Mastery over Stamina?

[Prot Warr] Mastery over Stamina?

Fellow warriors,

I have seen few top world warrior tanks priotizing mastery over stamina in yellow gems/enchants but still keeping 2 stamina trinkets, I am sure they know what they're doing, but is there a specific level of stamina you want to get before doing so, and is there a real gain in survivality, other thain saving healers mana ?

quote from xav via elitist jerks: (http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t110315-...on_warrior/p2/)
    Quote Originally Posted by xav
    The idea behind having a very high amount of mastery (and thus block %) is to have full coverage, and guarantee you have a permanent 30% damage reduction, at minimum, vs melee swings (the bulk of all damage nearly all bosses do). The easiest tanks to heal are those that take steady damage, not those that take spiky damage. Even if the spiky damage tank is taking say less than half of the overall damage (compared to a 'steady' tank), it can be more difficult to heal because of the wide variance in swing damage.
    2 stam trinkets and heroic blue gear is usually enough stam to survive in beginning boss encounters once you have raid buffs. gemming full mastery, mastery/stam, and parry/mastery to get socket bonuses will get you to 100% dodge+parry+block the easiest and smooth out incoming damage to conserve healer mana and to avoid taking too much spike damage and resulting in a tank death.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Alright, thanks for quick answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    quote from xav via elitist jerks: (http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t110315-...on_warrior/p2/)

2 stam trinkets and heroic blue gear is usually enough stam to survive in beginning boss encounters once you have raid buffs. gemming full mastery, mastery/stam, and parry/mastery to get socket bonuses will get you to 100% dodge+parry+block the easiest and smooth out incoming damage to conserve healer mana and to avoid taking too much spike damage and resulting in a tank death.
    Just to make it clear... It will not get you to 100%, just on a start to that goal. The better geared warriors are hitting around 75% from what I've seen.

Also, I feel that this question actually has yet to be answered. Why do tanks usually gear with stam trinkets and gem for mitigation? Why not stack on a couple of mastery trinkets and bring ourselves closer to that goal? Or if there is a minimum stam needed, just gem to what we need?

Is it due to the quality of the trinkets we can get atm? As in, the stam trinkets are just more effective in giving the stats?

You need to look at the stam trinkets they are typically wearing: Symbiotic Worm and Leaden Despair. Both provide procs sub 35% - almost un-hittable in the case of the former, and mitigation when you need in the case of the latter. If there were stam trinkets with stam use, I doubt you'd see them bouncing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Booi View Post
    Symbiotic Worm and Leaden Despair. Both provide procs sub 35% - almost un-hittable in the case of the former, and mitigation when you need in the case of the latter.
    ^this

the only other stam trinket worth mentioning imo is the jewelcrafting trinket to hold you over until you can get both.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTheTank
    Just to make it clear... It will not get you to 100%, just on a start to that goal. The better geared warriors are hitting around 75% from what I've seen.
    100% is optimal but 75% is where you at least want to be at to turn shield block into a "mini shield wall" to get the last 25%.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I would make a strong argument for the Hellscream's reach trinket: Mirror of Broken images.

It provides 321 static Mastery, which is a great lead-in to the block cap. Moreover though the 1 min on-use 400 resistance is an awesome ability to have for many raid encounters. Use it on Magmatron's aoe in tron council, Magmaw's lava spew, Maloriak's red potion, and so on. There's almost always a magic aoe that lasts for a few seconds in each raid (Fire breath in halfus, clustering for haliona/theralion's blackout, clustering for Chimaeron's feud, etc).

The better geared warriors are hitting around 75% from what I've seen.
    I don't consider myself from the better geared warriors. Got everything pre-raid (blue+epics). I've yet to see 1 tank item drop in raid *saidpanda*. My gear could be tweaked a bit (through reforging, as in parry -> dodge if parry is way higher). And my total avoidance is 83.46%.

But to go back to OPs worries. Do you keep logging out in what's your all around best gear? Haven't you ever swapped gear according to the situation? But yea.

Why not stack on a couple of mastery trinkets and bring ourselves closer to that goal? Or if there is a minimum stam needed, just gem to what we need?
    Because swapping trinkets doesn't cost you resources?

Basically, what you want to do is : Gem and enchant to get to 77.4% avoidance, you will mainly use mastery at first. once you reach that point and you keep gearing, slowly replace blue gems by stamina, and get more and more of that 77.4% in avoidance instead of block.

Considering the rating budget we have for both heroic and normal mode. It is not possible for a warrior,even Night Elf to reach 102.4% avoidance. Also, there isnt really much threat problems from what I have seen so far with veangence, but make sure to be hit capped to be reliable for not missing any shield bash on spells.

You'll reach about 30% dodge/parry/miss and 50%+ block chance by the time you're in 346+359 gear. However even in full 372 you cannot reach passive unhittable even if you go pure avoidance and have like 150k hp unbuffed as opposed to 185k.

@ Narph:
    I'm abit surprised at your statement. From what i've gathered from various posts/quick napkin math, mastery becomes even stronger post-102,4% due to the critical block element.
    I myself am sitting at 165k'ish health unbuffed, but after having done my first Neffie run (and kill) last night, i'm definately replacing 10k'ish for mastery/avoidance even if i might be at abit more than 70% "unhittable". The excess health is not needed at all and it will gradually increase itself due to the increase in stat budgets on incomming items.
    Having a bigger chance for the 60% block seems alot more efficient to me, than going back to stamina post-77.4%.

@ Migoll: I fully agree. That trinket and perhaps even the similar with the +strength use, are awesome for block tanks atleast.
    A shame they both cost 125 tokens.

I'd like to clarify a few things before going the all-mastery gemming route. Is there a particular HP level one should get from their gear before gemming mastery? I'm in heroic blues and entry level crafted/rep purples atm because of my guild's raiding schedule. I have about 145k unbuffed health and I'd stand to lose a small bit going mastery. Should I wait until some raid gear before doing so or just go balls out in a lower gear level?

I'm not thinking so. Having looked over the logs from most of the fights I've been running, I'm getting hit 9 times out of 70 hits where it is unblocked/unavoided. Unblocked hits are around 70k on magmaw which is hard for healers to heal.... so blocking = happy. In blue gems: Stam/Mastery, Yellow = Mastery, Red = I'm undecided whether to go mastery/parry or parry/stam.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

+ Reply to Thread