Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heroic BRC Steelbender

Quote Originally Posted by Tekai View Post
    Why bother complicating it with adds? With most healers you can simply kite him in a triangle as mentioned above and get one stack each time. DPS should have no issues burning through him as you stagger cooldowns when his buff stacks higher than 12ish.

As a (barely)heroic-ready warrior tank I had no issue with this strategy. Sure, I died, but dps burned him dead a second or two after I bit the dust.
    A lot of the complications with this encounter have been nerfed substantially by the buff being effectively increased by almost 50%. Since you extend the time between kites, healing the damage taken by the prior kite has become trivialized. Keep in mind a great deal of the posts in this thread are from before the encounter was nerfed and the buff duration extended. It was significantly more difficult encounter when your tank had to renew the buff stacks every 10 seconds instead of every 15 seconds (buff duration was 12 seconds, now is 17 seconds, assume about a 2 second buffer for margin of error in renewing the buff in either case). Basically on a two tick kite (while ideally you only get 1, can you guarentee you will always only get 1, probably not cause mob pathing is never perfect) instead of needing to heal 220,000 damage in 10 seconds, you need to heal 220,000 damage in 15 seconds, lowering the HPS required to do that by a third. Instead of needing 20k HPS, you only need 13.5k HPS (that's just to account for all 5 party members losing about 45k health from multiple ticks on a single kite, not including the additional damage on the tank).

Now that the encounter has been nerfed it is exceptionally easier than it was when this thread was originally created. Keep in mind the historical changes to the encounter and the date that prior advice was given. When things are changed, a lot of advice becomes invalid, however it does not mean those people giving that advice were wrong. At the time the advice was given it was correct.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-21-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I just stack him to somewhere between 15 and 20 stacks every time and blow hero. Quick kill (nice having a fully raid geared paladin at my back).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolpho View Post
    I just stack him to somewhere between 15 and 20 stacks every time and blow hero. Quick kill (nice having a fully raid geared paladin at my back).
    When you overgear it, just burn it isn't that great of advice. Keep in mind you're trying to help people who actually may struggle with it. What's your target audiance in a thread about a Heroic Dungeon Boss, probably people who are at the level of running Heroic Dungeons, not beyond it. You aren't offering advice for people who are decked out in heroic raid gear.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I tried this boss for the first time on heroic last night and had a lot of trouble tanking this boss because I couldnt see the debuff stacks. I use a lot of addons but my main UI is SpartainUI, which changes a lot of interface including size and placement of buffs/debuffs. If anyone is using this UI, please can you tell me what the debuff looks like and/or where it is placed? Also, are there any good debuff watcher addons for Cata heroics that would show this? I am using DBM and noticed it would flash "Superheated Obsidian Armor(#)" but i never knew when it was about to fall off. Thanks!

one strategem

Here's what I've been doing on this fight in heroic, keeping in mind that I've been running with players who aren't very good at downing the adds. I make sure my healers know beforehand that this is my plan:

Pull him through the middle of the molten steel first. You should have ideally 3 stacks on him at that point (if for some reason he stops in the stuff for an attack, you may have as many as 6. I'm a paladin, so if that happens I pop Holy Radiance and Divine Guardian if he isn't following). Before the patch, I kept him out until 5 sec. remained on the debuff. That hasn't changed, and it's allowed groups I've run with to down him much faster due to the extended debuff time. At 5 sec left, I kite him through for the standard 1-2 stacks. Rinse and repeat until he drops.

I've gotten his debuff as high as 16 and had only one complaint (from a rogue in my guild, and he's only 13. Take that for what you will). I've had the added bonus of getting 5-6 people the achieve on the fight. I'm at i-lvl 346 as of last night's run, so I'm definitely not raid tier geared or anything like that. The biggest thing in my mind is letting the group know your plan, and knowing before the fight if your group can handle the adds. If they can, then go with other strategies in this post.
    Last edited by ArmaSektos; 02-22-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Most of the suggestions arround actually intentionally allowing the buff to fall off and kill the adds are around the pre-nerf version of this boss (the 12 second buff instead of 17 second buff). Earlier on when the fight was both harder and people on average were closer to the minimum item level to do the encounter it was significantly more difficult for the healer to deal with that much damage on the party between kites. Now with basically 50% more time between kites, the healer requirement is only around 66% of its original in order to simply heal through ever increasing stacks instead of allowing them to drop off. The only reason you allow the buff to fall off is if healer throughput is unable to keep up with incoming party damage. Since the encounter nerf, even healers in 329 item level can generally keep up with the demand so it is relatively rare that dealing with the adds would be required now.