+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atramedes

Atramedes

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Blackwing Descent Raid Guide! My name is Aliena, and in this video I'll show you all you have to know about Atramedes, the blind dragon you'll encounter in the second tier of this new raid instance. We completed this fight with 1 tank, 6 healers and 18 DPS, but similar raid configurations may work just as well.

Atramedes is a very unique encounter. As mentioned, he's blind, so all abilities he does are centered around sound. When the fight starts, you will have a sound bar pop up in your UI. Getting hit with any of Atramedes' abilities will increase your sound level. When the bar is full - ie you hit 100 sound - Atramedes will know where you are and kill you in about two seconds.

The fight is split into two phases that'll keep repeating. As soon as you engage Atramedes, you start out with the ground phase which always lasts 80 seconds. Let's go over the abilities that he'll use during his ground phase. The first ability you'll see is Sonar Pulse - Atramedes will release 4 sound discs that start at a random point in the room and spread out from there. Touching a disc adds 7 sound to your bar and inflicts some damage.

They move slowly and aren't that hard to avoid. If you get unlucky and they spawn on you, move opposite of the direction they're moving into. You'll stack up some sound, but it shouldn't bring your bar to 100.

His second ability is Modulation- this will look like a gigantic sound disc reverberating through the room. Modulation can not be avoided or dodged and will inflict 40000 shadow damage to your entire raid on top of adding 7 sound to everyone's sound bar. He'll use this occasionally throughout the ground phase.

His third ability is Sonic Breath - this is cast at the target that currently has the highest amount of sound. Atramedes will face his target (boss mods figure out correctly who it is and this should be called out on vent) and start a 2-second cast. At the end of the cast, he'll follow his target with flames, and anyone getting caught in the fire will take massive amounts of damage and stack up sound. The more sound Atramedes' breath target has, the faster the flames will follow him.

Most often, a ranged raid member will have the highest amount of sound. To counter this (and to make healing easier for Modulation), your ranged raid members and healers should be loosely stacked up. When Atramedes picks a target and starts casting his breath, his target should move to the right and 'kite' the breath, wheras everyone else in the ranged pile should move to the left. If his breath target has a movement enhancing effect available like body and soul, no one should get hit by the breath at all. The breath is channeled for 6 seconds, so everyone needs to make sure that they're out of its way while it's being kited.

Atramedes' last phase 1 ability is Searing Flame. He'll cast this once per ground phase and it's his most devastating ability. For 8 seconds, he'll channel a fire AoE that inflicts about 20k damage to every raid member per second and stacks up a fire damage debuff. It is crucial to the fight that you do not let Atramedes cast this. To interrupt Searing Flames, you can hit one of the ten gongs that are aligned around his chamber.

Hitting a gong will cause Vertigo to Atramedes, which stuns him for 5 seconds and makes him take more damage within that time frame. However, after he recovers from vertigo, he'll shatter the gong that was used, so you can only use each gong once. This serves as soft enrage timer - when you run out of gongs, you're probably screwed.

After you survive 80 seconds of the ground phase, you'll trigger his air phase. This one only lasts 40 seconds. As soon as Atramedes hits the air, he'll once again target the player with the highest amount of sound and this time he'll chase him down with flame breath from the air. Everyone should be moving when the air phase hits to increase the chances of getting away from this flame breath.

The fire will move faster the higher the target's sound level is and on top of that will speed up the longer Atramedes is chasing someone. You will eventually want to interrupt this by using a gong, which once more will cause Vertigo to Atramedes. After Vertigo is done, he'll shatter the gong and go on to chase the player that used it. You want someone with a huge movement speed increase to be the person to hit the gong during the airphase, like a rogue for instance.

Obviously, any other movement speed enhancing buffs are are big help in this phase. The flames will leave flame patches on the ground that deal damage and increase sound when touched, so try to not kite them into the most idiotic direction you can think of. He'll also use Roaring Flames during his air phase, which adds more flame patches on the ground in random locations. Obviously, we'll do what every person with a brain does when they see fire on the ground - TOUCH THE BRIGHT SHINY MESMERIZING THI- I mean.. don't stand in it. Ever.

His last air phase ability is Sonar Pulse, which looks like the discs from the ground phase, but these ones will spawn in the location of random raid members, and shortly after they appear, a little missile will hit the center of the disc. Getting hit by the missile will deal damage and add 7 sound, so it's important that every raid member stays moving during the air phase to avoid these.. and the fire.. and the arcane ball.. and the fire breath. So yes, keep moving during the air phase and avoid getting hit by anything.

Once the 40 seconds are up, Atramedes will land again and phase 1 starts over. This cycle repeats until Atramedes' health pool is depleted. Make sure to only have reliable raid members hitting the gongs - getting the interrupts right is the most crucial thing about this encounter. Other than that, this fight is all about dodging stuff and kiting fire. If executed correctly, Atramedes should die rather easily. The soft enrage is very lenient and unless half your raid is dead, you should not get close to it. I've attached footage of the whole fight to show in detail how we dealt with his various mechanics. Good luck and have fun!

Hey, I have a question regarding your UI. What addon is the one showing POM, Chakra, COC, and Holy word. Also, which addon is showing your CD's from left to right?

The first ability you'll see is Sonar Pulse - Atramedes will release 4 sound discs that start at a random point in the room and spread out from there
    After doing this boss for a few hours, the pulses always spawn from his tail. The only time it appears random is when he turns after a breath, they'll spawn where his tail just was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankathon View Post
    Hey, I have a question regarding your UI. What addon is the one showing POM, Chakra, COC, and Holy word. Also, which addon is showing your CD's from left to right?
    Think its SexyCooldown (or something similar)
    Last edited by daedalus_au; 12-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.

In air phase, wonder if its viable/possible to make circular(like corn field) patches by running outward spiral with the flamebreath that need kiting to minimize risk of standing in shiny fire.

Your paint skills rules.

I'm curious do you have wol link from this fight? I know it wasn't perfect. But really like to see how the deferent classes etc, stacked out (especially for the healing)

interesting mechanics tbh...even though it looks easy, itīs at least something new

Respawning Gongs

Doing this encounter on 10man my guild found that the gongs respawn after a certain amount of time, we where doing 1 for searing flames and 2 during the air phase. By the time that we would hit the final gong others would start respawning.

Re: Atramedes

I can confirm that it also happens on 25 man.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The gongs are very odd. Sometimes when they respawned it'd show the graphic but the gong wasn't actually usable for us.

My guild is in its second ID with 2 days of 3 hour-raids each and we're currently at 7/12 and Atramedes was by far the hardest boss for us until now. The reason for this is totally odd... we wiped about 2 hours in a row and did a lot of attempts and our priests (we were raiding with 2 holy priests because our holy pala was abroad) were complaining their sound level was incresing totally random. They were nowhere near those sonar things but still got their sound levels pushed to the limit at almost every sonar breath, even if everybody moved perfectly.

After a while we found out what was happening. The lightwell triggered the sound levels of the priests!

Has anyone experienced something similar in the last week, because Aliena lightwell definately doesn't trigger the sound level.

After we decided to not use lightwells any more (which made healing the encounter a little bit harderbut still doable), we managed to down him after 2 more tries. I can confirm that the gongs start to respawn after the third air phase, so you can use a few more than you have to if somebody accidently pushes his sound level.

It's also very easy to get away from the laser in the air phase. I as a warrior was running towards a gong at the beginning of the air phase and when he laser started to chase somebody I hit the gong when the laser was to close. Then I used whatever possible (heroic leap, intervene, priest shield, engineering belt to get away from the laser and if it was too close I hit the gong again (I was running around there anyway) this way ranged dps could easily stay in the middle and concentrate on the boss. I strongly recommend not to use ice block or bubble or whatever to reset the beam because this way you cannot control who gets the beam next. Everytime somebody actively uses a gong he will be chased next. This way you can easily avoid too many flames in the center of the room.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...atramedes.aspx < was the biggest help for us, identifying slackers and helped our dedicated "gong-boy" rescueuing sloppy players in time.

Invulnerbility spells for the sound leading player at the beginning of the air phase may conduct to have him track another player (which get the tracking debuff, all bossmods yells & mark him) but instantly swap to the originally intended target without any warning and leads to confusion on top of a containment line through half of the room.

It's a good thing you can underman this guy by almost 50% on normal mode, his breath is NOT on a reliable timer(gong doesnt even stun him instantly and I have 200ms from asia, the best you can possibly get) and anyone from oceanic guilds will unavoidably eat 50k from his aoe + 40k from modulate immediately after the stun.

Quote Originally Posted by Symph View Post
    The gongs are very odd. Sometimes when they respawned it'd show the graphic but the gong wasn't actually usable for us.
    From what I can tell, these aren't gongs that respawn; they're gongs that have been activated at the same time as another gong. Both gongs get used, but Atramedes only destroys one. However, both still become unavailable to click.

just wanna say love your drawings

We're having issues with this fight, like when in the air phase the fire breath doesn't stop after the gong is broken, and if you hit the gong opposite to the player running, then the fire will move across the room to follow the gong hitter, leaving a nasty trail in the 2nd ground phase. So either have either the player with aggro hitting the gong or some1 close to him.
    Also the modulation is destroying the raid right after searing flames, even we stop it, we always get one or 2 ticks and is a lot of dmg, does any1 knows if curse of Tongues works to slow the casting?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    We're having issues with this fight, like when in the air phase the fire breath doesn't stop after the gong is broken, and if you hit the gong opposite to the player running, then the fire will move across the room to follow the gong hitter, leaving a nasty trail in the 2nd ground phase. So either have either the player with aggro hitting the gong or some1 close to him.
    Also the modulation is destroying the raid right after searing flames, even we stop it, we always get one or 2 ticks and is a lot of dmg, does any1 knows if curse of Tongues works to slow the casting?
    The fire breath in the air phase (Roaring Searing Flame) follows anybody that uses the gong. Ideally you want a rogue/druid to interrupt the Fire Breath in the air phase. They can use sprint to outrun the flames.

You want to kite the Roaring Searing Flames to the sides, so the middle is empty. You have to adjust positions if the room is covered in flames.

You will get 1 or 2 ticks of Searing Flame, even if you interrupt Searing Flame on time. This is normal and can be very tricky in 10 mans (a lot less in 25mans).

Make sure to download the new Atramedes addon (called: Atramedes) at www.curse.com. This addon tracks the soundlevel of all people.

If you guys are stuck on this encounter, you can also go to: http://25man.com/cata-guides/atramedes. The guide over there is pretty comprehensive (shortcut: 25man.com/atramedes)
    Last edited by Yoakie; 01-25-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added in quote

Altramedes

Most often, a ranged raid member will have the highest amount of sound.

You mention ranged will usually have highest amount of sound, but our tanks and melee are convinced that ranged have the easiest time avoiding damage because the rings spawn under their feet.

Can you speak to this theory a little?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by l220 View Post
    Most often, a ranged raid member will have the highest amount of sound.

You mention ranged will usually have highest amount of sound, but our tanks and melee are convinced that ranged have the easiest time avoiding damage because the rings spawn under their feet.

Can you speak to this theory a little?

Thank you.
    The tank yes, melee no. Atramedes has a hit box the size of Texas, there is no excuse for melee to ever get hit by the sonar pulses that move outwards from his body unless they are tunnelling like crazy. As a melee player, I can safely say that with confidence it's true. If you tunnel vision and not pay attention to the mechanics as melee, you will get shound higher then anyone else in the raid, however even ranged should never get hit if they are focusing on the encounter and not getting hit. The air phase is the only phase where it's actually easy to blow yourself up by increasing your sound bar to 100% because the pulses plus the fire are both very abundant and tricky to dodge as they don't have a clear damaging radius. The hit box literally is almost at hunter minimum range for ranged attacks as well, I am literally 5-10 yards away from our ranged at the furthest point possible from the boss while still hitting him and can pretty much just side step each pulse.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

+ Reply to Thread