+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DPS and you - A guide

Minor stuff really: "Use them to good use and establish your own icon and say that you will be CCing this target..." If my remark offended, please accept my sincerest apology as it was not meant derogatorily.

Not offended at all!

Like I said, I'm always trying to improve and now reading what you quoted, I can see where it could be hard to read because of the multiple 'and'.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Investigating the Rapid Fire/Serpent Sting filler a bit more. Jeez... I thought I was done with math when I graduated!

Thank you kindly. As you are interested in helpful feedback, multiple occurrences of the word "use" is also a bit of a speedbump. If I may, it might be rewritten:

"Announcing both your CC target as well as your preferred icon to the party..." then close the sentence with its benefit.

Cheers!

Awesome, thank you.

I'm always ALWAYS looking for feedback when it comes to my writing skills. Many people don't know this but I want to branch off and start writing full time when money allows me to. As such, any improvements I may be able to do and people can catch up would do nothing but benefit me.

Feel free to comment on any guide that I write a quick pm. I know I use a lot of words too often lol

Tankspot Moderator

Great article Kren. As a shadow priest I found a tank that pulled 2 of the casters in H deadmines, I know these as party killers so I took upon myself to MC one to beat down the other and not let her go until she was the last mob standing. This follows your line of thought here. I could have just DPS'd to a possible wipe due to dead tank but chose to CC instead regardless of what that did to my DPS. This decision was made "for the good of the party" and to let a mob grab aggro and tank a few other mobs in the bargin. I believe this happened due to either to a less experienced tank that was either unfamiliar with CC options available in group or mob abilities and kill order. Once again thank you for the quicky guide / reminder to not stand in fire.

Well good tanks with a lot of raid gear can do this groups with out CC, now. But that's probably one of the few trash groups left in 5mans where I think CC is a good thing to use even then.

Grim Batol can be fairly difficult as well. Hence the reason that I generally banish one of the elementals on my warlock whey they are pulled to the tank. That's one CC that won't be broken until I break it or it runs its course :-)

Krenian

Nice one, this should be on every forum to start with not only for dps but all classes in case they might forget again that this a team based game and you need to work together 9+ everything can get some improvement hey ;-)

regards

I like this thank you.... I will try and practice it.....thanks again

Really good stuff in here. I was Wrath Holy Priest and healed majority of the time and since Cata came out I went Shadow and DPS now. I cna say Cata is a whole new monster and there is a lot to learn. I do agree with everyone that communication is a must with the new dungeons.

OMG, all my fustrations in Cata have been addressed right here. I mainly play a holy paladin healer. Most often the DPS are total assholes. While my situations are drastic, they are starting to become far to common. Any game where we get an intelligent tank who talks strategy and communicates well to me often get berrated "Just ****ing pull" "WTF R U WAITING FOR" "ATTACK SOMETHING DUMB ****" (Note: those are all real comments made to tanks in my last few games.) So when the dps does something a I recognize as stupid, it immediately becomes the tank's or the healer's (my) fault. And when all hell breaks loose, I'm healing the tank, expectations just got ridiculous, I had a hunter whining I didn't heal his pet!!!!!!! If I try to point out that DPS made a mistake, i get kicked. It has gotten so bad, that I've only finished 1 cata dungeon, during which we had 3 different tanks. One of them was bashed so hard by our retard DPS that he mass pulled and rage-quit, leaving us to die. WHich I'm not defending, but the DPS really deserved it.

Anyway, that is my rage rant on DPS. This guide needs to be read by evry DPS on my server. But If I make that suggestion I'll probably get kicked....

You don't need a little dagger icon next to your portait in order to be an ass. You can be an ass with a little shield or a little plus sign as well. The role you play says nothing about your character as a person. You would do well to remember that.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I feel ya bro...

I have a Pally tank that's taken a ton of abuse in PUGs because of my patience waiting for healers to mana or CC marking instead of charging right in. Case in point... recently a huntard in Violet Hold (before the 4.2 patch) had his pet on aggresive with growl on and wouldn't turn them off. I politely asking him if he would do so and he told me to stop QQing and just do my job.

Something Blizz needs to fix is the player kick function. It sucks when a player everyone wants to kick can't be kicked because his/her kick timer is still on cooldown. They need to get rid of that timer and add a "penalty box" of sorts that disallows an account (not just a toon) to enter a PUG for at least one hour once they've been kicked more than twice in a row - regardless of time between PUGs.

What I've learned in RL (which has been incessantly reinforced over my 6 years of playing this game) is this: there is no cure for stupid.

So now my tank has a library of party chat macros I call upon during fights to hopefully quell QQing. If they don't work, I won't rage quit. I'll just click my final macro apologizing to everyone that I have better things to do than babysit pubescent nerd rage, bid them a fine day and hope they enjoy their next 20 minutes revisiting the queue. Then after the fight I'll drop... because there are WAY better things to do than put up with their... stuff.

Seeing how I'm not really playing WoW anymore, I feel like I cannot actually be a judge of the upcoming expansion involving the roles of DPS. With the fact that I haven't touched any dungeon and do not know the feeling of how they flow, I cannot keep this thread stickied and have it have my stamp of approval. Although most of this stuff should be common knowledge, I'm going to remove it from the sticky zone.

I suggest any one of you that has a good grasp that would like to explain the basics of DPSing in MoP to try their hand at this. If they ask for advice, I can freely give that; it's mostly common sense anyway.

In any case, I hope this guide has helped you through your Cataclysm work. Happy hunting in MoP!

Tankspot Moderator

+ Reply to Thread