+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Discipline Priest PvE Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    Of course it's a nerf. The problem with a 30 sec duration is that a Disc priest can bubble an entire raid by themselves. Gets a little out of hand.

"Oh no, PvP nerf"
    The mana increase was a bit of a disencentive to do the raid bubble - this will be a real disencentive.

Meh, PvP is an annoyance.

Well there are times you wanna use shield raid spam no matter what the mana cost is so 15 sec cd is nerf,and a big one. the reason you want mastery is that PoH gives DA 100% time no matter if it crits or not. so that is like a bonus healing to you PoH which is used most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysocks View Post
    Well there are times you wanna use shield raid spam no matter what the mana cost is so 15 sec cd is nerf,and a big one. the reason you want mastery is that PoH gives DA 100% time no matter if it crits or not. so that is like a bonus healing to you PoH which is used most of the time.

It's not a 15 second cooldown of the shield spell but the duration it will last for, imo shield spam even in 10 mans is not really doable or needed in today's raids shielding 10 players will cost you around half your mana pool and is only = to around 4x prayer of healing casts 2 per group in terms of healing amount.

So in my honest opinion this nerf to shields should force those still stuck in wotlk ways to get with the times shield spam on entire raids is a thing of the past.

As for our mastery I don't see it as a great stat sure enough PoH makes the best use of it but for single target healing on tanks I would much rather faster casts and more crits then something like 100 extra absorb per 1% of mastery.

Actually does anyone know the exact amount of DA absorb per % of mastery we get?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    As for our mastery I don't see it as a great stat sure enough PoH makes the best use of it but for single target healing on tanks I would much rather faster casts and more crits then something like 100 extra absorb per 1% of mastery.

Actually does anyone know the exact amount of DA absorb per % of mastery we get?
    The value of the three secondary stats changes a lot based on the fight, your raid comp, your healing style, etc.

I read an interesting post the other day, it suggested that you should gear according to one of three playstyles. Single-target healing would be Crit/Haste, primarily PoH spamming would be Haste/Mastery, and primarily PW:S spamming would be Mastery alone. I don't agree 100%, but the base of the idea I think is sound - you should figure out what you're doing the most of and min/max around it.

But that's somewhat off-topic. To address your post specifically, no I don't know the exact modifier but I presume it would be a flat %. So DA is 30% of your original crit without any Mastery, so if you have 50% mastery (yes I know that's currently impossible) then DA would equal 45% of your original crit. This is my assumption at least.

Mastery really shines on raid-healing, where you get a ton of DA from PoH and of course will be throwing out quite a few bubbles. If you're primarily single-target healing, then of course Crit and Haste would take precedence, although Mastery is no slouch - PW:S and DA will still be a decent chunk of your healing.

I always suggest tailoring around the fights you're working on. For example, we were just working on Heroic Maloriak, so I was stacking Mastery to smooth out tank damage in the Dark phases. Now that we killed the bastage we're going to work on H Atremedes, where I'm going to need a good chunk of Haste because you're running around so much (I'm reaching the 12.5% haste mark for Renew, and past that it's still a very good stat to help get casts off quicker before you start running around like a lunatic again).

Although I may wind up just going Holy for Atramedes. We don't need more speedbubbles in our 25, but just the bonuses to Renew and of course having CoH seem like they may be worth using up my offspec for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebadoh View Post

I always suggest tailoring around the fights you're working on. For example, we were just working on Heroic Maloriak, so I was stacking Mastery to smooth out tank damage in the Dark phases. Now that we killed the bastage we're going to work on H Atremedes, where I'm going to need a good chunk of Haste because you're running around so much (I'm reaching the 12.5% haste mark for Renew, and past that it's still a very good stat to help get casts off quicker before you start running around like a lunatic again).
    See, I disagree with this. getting 12.5% haste is total waste. You will go oom with renew spam as fast as with shield spam doing 1/2 of the healing. if you need someone to spam hots go druid. Disc has talents to overcome haste and crit. If you use Shield every time you can get rapture back you have haste up for you every 3rd spell. unless you spamming FH. Also we have 25% crit every 45sec. If you spamming GH you will get this down to around 20 sec and every 3rd GH is fast with BT. So with mastery as your primal stat your GH that has over 30% crit now and then you can get DA high. Even more on tank with help healing stats. on Maloriak HC I solo heal DK tank that tanks Maloriak in black phase and still do somewhat of raid healing. I can crit 55-60K GH with cds.

Also with mastery and shield spamming with Inner will can be the difference between kill and wipe. Fights like maloriak HC phase 2 when poison rain is on the raid. Also fights like chim hc when raid is going down.

Not a total waste, haste is still a tremendously useful stat. People tend to look at the number crunching and forget the fact that getting out a heal a split second faster can mean keeping someone alive - it reduces reaction time. Borrowed Time is a wonderful tool but it does not completely negate the value of haste rating.

Likewise, Inner Focus does not "overcome" crit rating. It is a nice boost, sure, but not enough on its own.

I too solo heal the tank during the dark phase. It really isn't so bad if you time your heals properly.

Not a total waste, haste is still a tremendously useful stat. People tend to look at the number crunching and forget the fact that getting out a heal a split second faster can mean keeping someone alive - it reduces reaction time. Borrowed Time is a wonderful tool but it does not completely negate the value of haste rating.
    The haste thing is very true a lot of people tend to jump ahead and think high haste = oom in no time and in a way it can come down to that but the real benefit from it is getting that heal off just quick enough to prevent someone dying, people just need to control them self and stop thinking in HPS.

The value of the three secondary stats changes a lot based on the fight, your raid comp, your healing style, etc.

I read an interesting post the other day, it suggested that you should gear according to one of three playstyles. Single-target healing would be Crit/Haste, primarily PoH spamming would be Haste/Mastery, and primarily PW:S spamming would be Mastery alone. I don't agree 100%, but the base of the idea I think is sound - you should figure out what you're doing the most of and min/max around it.
    My play style is very adaptive dependent on the situation, I raid 10 mans as the tank healer with a druid and holy priest and I use every play style listed and more including smites but as I said it depends on the situation, I suppose it would be nice to be able to stick with a single role but I also find having the ability to change to a situation quickly is one of the fun things about disc priests.

As for how my own stat choice goes crit > haste > mastery and I have reforged mostly that direction but because of my gear options I still have more mastery then haste even with reforging 470 mastery into 376 haste giving me:

Crit 14.33%
    Mastery 12.00%
    Haste 9.63%

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    The haste thing is very true a lot of people tend to jump ahead and think high haste = oom in no time and in a way it can come down to that but the real benefit from it is getting that heal off just quick enough to prevent someone dying, people just need to control them self and stop thinking in HPS.
    While this is technically true, it was a much more important concept in the Wrath style of healing than it is in Cata. In Wrath we had very short windows of time in which to get a heal off before somebody would die. Haste could make a huge difference because split seconds mattered. With the larger health pools in Cata, landing a heal .2 seconds earlier is very rarely going to save somebody from dying. In the cases where a faster heal is needed you can simply use a different tool, like Flash Heal. In my experience thus far, Penance and PW:S are fast enough that I rarely have to resort to using Flash Heal in those situations.

That said, I think we may see haste gain value as we move up the tiers. Gear will continue to offer more and more regen, and I don't see fights getting longer and longer with each tier. It's possible we will burn through the extra mana with haste. Alternatively, we may continue to ignore haste and just burn through our mana with more expensive spells. Stacking mastery and casting more PW:S doesn't sound bad to me.

So in a nutshell, the Cata motto seems to be that spell selection is the key to timely healing, not haste stacking.

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieDave View Post
    While this is technically true, it was a much more important concept in the Wrath style of healing than it is in Cata. In Wrath we had very short windows of time in which to get a heal off before somebody would die. Haste could make a huge difference because split seconds mattered. With the larger health pools in Cata, landing a heal .2 seconds earlier is very rarely going to save somebody from dying. In the cases where a faster heal is needed you can simply use a different tool, like Flash Heal. In my experience thus far, Penance and PW:S are fast enough that I rarely have to resort to using Flash Heal in those situations.

That said, I think we may see haste gain value as we move up the tiers. Gear will continue to offer more and more regen, and I don't see fights getting longer and longer with each tier. It's possible we will burn through the extra mana with haste. Alternatively, we may continue to ignore haste and just burn through our mana with more expensive spells. Stacking mastery and casting more PW:S doesn't sound bad to me.

So in a nutshell, the Cata motto seems to be that spell selection is the key to timely healing, not haste stacking.
    Very true it's a once in a blue moon that a situation will pop up that requires loads of haste or people die I suppose I contradicted my own statement by using an extreme example to overshadow another extreme example.

By the way I tested darkness talents 3 points vs none on Gheal cast time and you are talking 0.07 cast time reduction gained from the 3% haste the talent gives you, any further haste over the 13% mark would most likely drop you into the 0.000 range meaning haste is probably not worth it after 10 or 11% mark as far as single target healing disc priests go.

What's the consensus of smite healing in serious generic raid environments?

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    It's nothing special.

I find smiting fine on some bosses. You can do 10-11K raid healing with that, and some dps which won't make a change.
    How serious is your seriousness? you clearing normal or heroic? For normal content I find it fine, when you come to heroics, I dropped it. It is nice to be on top of charts on halfus hc, smiting last 60% of his life but after that it is pointless to take.

I've been using smite in raid these days and it's okay; it's interesting that the Dominos icon when smite hits comes up as Circle of Healing. One issue I noticed is that the Smite can miss - and I'm not going to stack hit just for Attonement. So since there's a miss chance, I'm questioning it's continued use; but when it hits it's a nice mana efficient AoE heal that reduces the time on Pennance's cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I've been using smite in raid these days and it's okay; it's interesting that the Dominos icon when smite hits comes up as Circle of Healing. One issue I noticed is that the Smite can miss - and I'm not going to stack hit just for Attonement. So since there's a miss chance, I'm questioning it's continued use; but when it hits it's a nice mana efficient AoE heal that reduces the time on Pennance's cd.
    Have you consider glyphing?

How serious is your seriousness?
    Progression raiding on NORMAL modes and trying to make sure I'm sought after over other healers (basically the GM (who also decides the raid teams and is a disc priest himself) has commented a few times on my use of Atonement.. I get the hint ).

However, generic because I'm not a hardcore raider and I don't want to change specs based on a specific boss encounter.. yet.

I do like Atonement for heroics, but I find that usually the only times I can risk using Atonement in raids is if there's no demand for serious healing and everyone is stacking up or if the boss has a damage debuff of some kind (Maloriak, Halfus).

I thought Atonement would rock on Chimaeron.. but it kept healing the rogue and no one else

Just wondering if I should drop it and get something else.

Have you consider glyphing?
    No, completely forgot about the glyph, and it's a major too http://www.wowhead.com/item=45758/gl...ivine-accuracy.

Thank you very much.

Progression raiding on NORMAL modes and trying to make sure I'm sought after over other healers (basically the GM (who also decides the raid teams and is a disc priest himself) has commented a few times on my use of Atonement.. I get the hint ).

However, generic because I'm not a hardcore raider and I don't want to change specs based on a specific boss encounter.. yet.

I do like Atonement for heroics, but I find that usually the only times I can risk using Atonement in raids is if there's no demand for serious healing and everyone is stacking up or if the boss has a damage debuff of some kind (Maloriak, Halfus).

I thought Atonement would rock on Chimaeron.. but it kept healing the rogue and no one else

Just wondering if I should drop it and get something else.
    I would drop it. It is not really worth it. In 10 man you have to take care of tank and in 25 man you do multiple tasks. I would consider it for Hlafus hc if you ever have a chance to do him. It actually helps a lot after few drakes are down. but I would pick other talents over smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    No, completely forgot about the glyph, and it's a major too http://www.wowhead.com/item=45758/gl...ivine-accuracy.

Thank you very much.
    in 4.1 will be even better if you glyph for holy fire so your smites do 20% more dmg and that means 20% more healing for about 3 smites then HF again. Can not say if it will be useless, will have to wait what the encounter will bring and if dmg will be increased on bosses.

I toyed with Atonement for a bit on HM-Halfus and then quickly dropped it. I now carry a pure tank healing disco spec and a pure raid healing holy spec and that has served me best. I used to have a raid-healing bubble spec but holy is better for the AoE healing when it really counts (P3 Cho'gal or Council or P2 Nefarian). Unfortunately I cannot gear right for both (tank-disc wants crit/haste, holy raid want's haste/mastery), so I end up in a blend of gear ... but it's not too bad.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Glyph of Holy Fire isn't nearly as good as it sounds from an Atonement standpoint. The DoT portion is so short that you lose a lot of Smite healing time trying to maintain Holy Fire uptime.

+ Reply to Thread