+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Discipline Priest PvE Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    done!
    Danke!

Zevia,
    Thanks a lot for posting this detailed guide!! I've been healing Disc since I joined the game years ago, and the guide has been helpful for me to adapt to the Cataclysm changes.

Great guide and it has been a tremendous help to me. My guildies have forced me to take on a healing spec and I wouldn't have been able to perform without this guide. I am still learning but wanted to thank you.

I do have a question for you. When you have major damage to your entire 5 man group (first boss in SFK, casts asphyxiation), what is the best spells to top everyone off in the most efficient manner. I had a lot of trouble with this the other day and went OOM because we missed two of the interrupts. Please advise and thanks for the help.

Well for similar situations to what Diyaz's mentions I'll utilize one of a couple things depending on what sort of spec I'm toying with for optimization purposes.

1. Hymn makes for a pretty good 'big' top up, providing you don't need to move for the channel time
    2. If your smite spec'd I like: Blow Archangel to eat your Evang stacks, then pop Focus and Prayer of Healing
    3. If your not smite spec'd: Bubble someone(Tank or someone super low) (for the speed), pop focus, prayer of healing

Being able to 'pre' PoM the group before big damage like that can help so it gets max bounces, as most of that sort of damage applies over a few ticks.

Anyway that's what I'm doing at the moment, probably some room for improvement, but I'm happy to share what I can. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsmond View Post
    1. Hymn makes for a pretty good 'big' top up, providing you don't need to move for the channel time
    2. If your smite spec'd I like: Blow Archangel to eat your Evang stacks, then pop Focus and Prayer of Healing
    3. If your not smite spec'd: Bubble someone(Tank or someone super low) (for the speed), pop focus, prayer of healing

Being able to 'pre' PoM the group before big damage like that can help so it gets max bounces, as most of that sort of damage applies over a few ticks.
    Pretty much. You don't want Stay of Execution interrupted immediately unless you want the achievement, but you should let it heal you for 1 or 2 ticks just to get above 1 health so wracking pains doesn't wreck your day. Prayer of healing is an amazingly efficient AoE heal, especially when coupled with divine aegis procs, so really any kind of major AoE healing should just be taken care of via prayer of mending and prayer of healing spam coupled with whatever you feel comfortable adding in - power infusion, borrowed time, power word: barrier, whatever works for you.

Just want to say, on behalf of many Priests, reading this thread is informative and easy to understand without feeling like an idiot. I have been a Disco/Holy priest since start of TBC, knowing about your character's spec & essential stats is the key thing and this guide not only helps people just starting out, it also just helps some clarify some points regards to enchants gems if you are just struggling with a decision.

Thanks Narv

Quote Originally Posted by Zevia View Post
    Major:
    I wouldn't recommend the glyph of smite because holy fire will often miss, and the DoT from it simply doesn't last long enough to take advantage of.
    I want to chime in again here about the Glyph of Smite.

If you're smite healing, even in a raid, you want the Glyph of smite. Even with a 17% miss chance and a 10 second DoT a 20% buff to, what is in effect, your efficient heal cannot be overlooked. You miss on occasion. So what? You're talking about ~16.6% more healing over long periods of time with the best-scaling efficient heal in the game. That's more +healing than any talent, and all you have to do is work one fast casting DoT into your rotation and not worry that it doesn't always hit.

Actually, looking at our talents, it's possible to pick up twisted faith and just stack enough spirit to reach 17% hit rather than leaning on the glyph of divine accuracy. If you're going full smite-atonement it could be worth it if you can figure out where to take talent points from because hit rating on holy fire is worth almost 4% towards your efficient heal which isn't bad for 2 talent points considering that it will make up more and more of your effective healing, the better geared your tank gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollin View Post
    If you're smite healing, even in a raid, you want the Glyph of smite. Even with a 17% miss chance and a 10 second DoT a 20% buff to, what is in effect, your efficient heal cannot be overlooked. You miss on occasion. So what?
    You're also looking at trying to squeeze in smites in that 10 second window - realistically, you'd only be able to get off about 2 or 3 smites, and that's assuming that in that 10 seconds nobody's taken AoE damage or spike damage.

Of course, the major glyph choices are fairly slim pickings - I don't think I'd replace the mass dispel one with smite, but you might think about replacing dispel magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollin View Post
    Actually, looking at our talents, it's possible to pick up twisted faith and just stack enough spirit to reach 17% hit rather than leaning on the glyph of divine accuracy.
    This, on the other hand, would require us to skip out points on either reduced cast time on smite and our heals, or increased efficiency on our primary heals, and on a 10% reduction to physical damage on the tank.

Smite is a great spell for disc priests, but remember that the spec isn't really centered around it so much as it just happens to include it as another option for healing.

Smite heal is amazingly efficient for trash packs in heroics 5 mans. And even some bosses.
    It is very good if you manage to keep your stacks. I find I rarely manage to squeeze in
    enough Smites after a HF to justify the glyph. Or HF which doesn't renew your stacks.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

"If the Truth can be told, so as to be Understood, it Will be Believed." - Terrence McKenna

Sticky please...
    If the world didn't suck.
    We all fall off...

I have found that, being new to disc, I am unable to squeeze enough Smites in to keep my Evan stacks up. Although Smite spec'd, I rarely cast it. Would you recommend I change to the non-Smite spec? Can the non-Smite spec be viable in raids? We just started on Magmaw and they are looking to me to tank heal.

Also, when is the best time to cast Pain Suppression? Is there a time or just when off cooldown.

Thanks again to all for making me a better healer. I still have a way to go but the posts here help tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Diyaz View Post
    I have found that, being new to disc, I am unable to squeeze enough Smites in to keep my Evan stacks up. Although Smite spec'd, I rarely cast it. Would you recommend I change to the non-Smite spec? Can the non-Smite spec be viable in raids? We just started on Magmaw and they are looking to me to tank heal.

Also, when is the best time to cast Pain Suppression? Is there a time or just when off cooldown.

Thanks again to all for making me a better healer. I still have a way to go but the posts here help tremendously.
    Non-smite spec is most certainly viable in raids, and I recommend it (especially if you're tank healing!). I'm a disc priest in a 25 man guild and have only used smite spec on one gimmick fight: Halfus. Otherwise, I use a non-smite spec. In the next patch, disc becomes an even stronger tank healer, so smite spec is even more "ew" in that role.
    I'd go with a spec that looks like this: http://wowtal.com/#k=veN3nvAm.aei.priest.
    If/When you're more comfortable with mana, I'd shuffle around some points from Veiled Shadows to Inner Sanctum(for survivability) or Darkness(throughput).
    As for the "how to" of tank healing:
    - Keep weakened soul on the tank at all times
    - Toss out PoM on cooldown, assuming you can afford to
    - Penance / GH for heavier damage (obv. only use GH if penance is on cooldown)
    - Heal for filler/light damage
    If your tank is sitting high and good, it's always nice to toss out a PoH or two to help with raid damage.

Pain Supp is an "oh shit" button. When you use it really depends on the fight. Some fights, the tanks expect me to save it for when they need an outside cooldown. Some fights, it doesn't really matter. That's something you have to figure out from the fight mechanics, trial & error, and talking with your tanks. If you don't need to save it, you can use it whenever you really need to lessen the tank damage. Maybe something went wrong and you need to help the raid healer(s) out. Maybe you're blowing through your mana and need to drink a potion of concentration. It's obviously not powerful enough to make it so that you don't have to heal the tank, but it buys you a little extra time to focus on other things.

You'll probably use smite a little less often in raids than you would in heroics just because the incoming damage is usually large enough that you'll want to use penance or greater heal, instead. However, stacking evangelism does *also* decrease the mana cost of penance, and provide you with an on-demand healing cooldown, so I wouldn't immediately discount it for all raid settings.

Again, the discipline spec is not really centered around smite so much as smite is made available as a good tool to use. If you're finding that you just don't need or want the tool, then by all means, don't pick it up.

A note about pain suppression:

Because it reduces incoming damage, you need to use it when you *know* a lot of damage will be incoming shortly. For example, on Magmaw, I'd largely save it for when a tank is being mangled - make sure they're not already using a cooldown, then put it up.

You can't really use pain suppression as an oh shit button in the same way that you could use, say, guardian spirit, in that it's ideal to use it long before they're about to die.

If a tank only has 10% health left, for example, then the damage reduction may not save their life either way.

If you're not sure when the big damage moments are going to be, then just use it any time the tank dips to about 60% or so for the sake of conserving mana while you use your more efficient heals.

By the way, the rotation and talents for discipline will be getting enough of an overhaul that I'll be making a new video when 4.0.6 comes out, as well as taking the time to update the text guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Diyaz View Post
    I have found that, being new to disc, I am unable to squeeze enough Smites in to keep my Evan stacks up. Although Smite spec'd, I rarely cast it...Also, when is the best time to cast Pain Suppression? Is there a time or just when off cooldown.
    I'm still focused on 5-mans and 5-man Heroics, and thus have a slightly different perspective ATM than Liliyah.
    • Not enough time to Smite - Only bother with Smite if you also have Atonement (and Divine Fury). Without Atonement providing heals at or near the level of your Heal spell, it makes little sense. I learned the timing of Smite casting/healing while doing solo PvE. I've also done a couple of runs as a DPSer using Smite. While I have nowhere near the output of a SPriest, the experience had the twin benefit of teaching me Smite timing while teaching my guild to trust me with Atonement healing.
    If you do have Atonement and aren't finding the time, the I'd suggest you look to your level of Haste. I'm currently at 1139 (8.89%) and I still want more, more, more. While Haste doesn't have as dramatic a buff on many of our abilities as it does on Renew, I personally believe that it's worth it for the slight improvement to casting times and the delivery speed of Penance. You can test if you need Haste by casting Smite while Borrowed Time is in effect. If you like the casting speeds while you’re buffed, then you need more Haste.

The coming changes in PTR will help. A lot. Especially the non-Smite spec. But in the meantime, you should be comfortable casting Smite whenever you would normally be casting Heal, to much the same net effect.
    • I love PS. In fact, I went Disc back in Vanilla for PS. In the current environment I recommend being fairly liberal with PS, with the following things in mind:
      • PS is the only spell that we have that can be cast while stunned, if Glyph'd. This works even during cinematic stuns, allowing you to asses and correct a situation while a boss talks his/her head off.
      • PS is less than 1/2 the cost of PW:S, so it's nice to drop it on a DPS'er that got in too deep.
      • PS is damage MITIGATION. If you know there's a huge power or effect that's incoming that's not a % of stat, cast it.
    "If the Truth can be told, so as to be Understood, it Will be Believed." - Terrence McKenna

I can only reiterate. When you feel comfortable to use Heal you can as well use Smite. In 5 mans it is able to reach quite a lot of people. Also remember that it will reduce the CD of your Penance. Which you shouldn't use to DPS but as a super fast heal for the tank. There are times when you have to spam GH and PoH but that's when something is going wrong.

Additionaly, Smiting equates to actually doing something. When I'm on my Holy spec, I don't use Heal. I rather wait a second longer and cast a GH. Old habits(I mastered toying with the FSR) die slowly, I guess.

Once your gear level reaches the 340ies and your group mates wisen up, things don't look so bleak anymore.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Thank you so much for all of this information. It has been priceless since Cata came out. I've a question though. There is a lot of 'do this/do that', that I've heard in regards to stat priority (mostly from a holy priest I know - which I've never played). I was told that roughly 12% haste should be good and to reforge crit over into haste or mastery.

So should my priority list go something like haste>mastery>crit or crit>mastery>haste? The haste thing has me confused. Is it because we no longer reforge into haste that we don't take the haste talent in the shadow tree? (Yes, I'll probably need to respec). Also, the talent Power Infusion. In Wrath that always seemed to be a 'take it if you want it or not' talent, which I never did. Do you NEED it now?

Hopefully this was readable, I've not posted on one of these forums before =)

The information you're getting from the holy priest is correct... for holy. Current talk in the disc community is that we need to try to balance our crit, haste and mastery. No stat is really "king", they increase our throughput synergistically. Given the way cloth healing gear looks right now, that generally means you end up reforging crit -> haste.

PI has never really been a 'take it if you want it or not' talent. For 1 point, it is amazing. Either use it for yourself during big damage phases for extra healing output or give it to a caster dps to boost their performance.

I agree with Liliyah, although I'd like to add a couple of refinements. I'm prioritizing Haste to 12% (currently at 9.62%) because of my play style. Not because we gain as much as Holys do with their HoTs. I like and need the slight edge that it gives me, since I don't have the reaction time of some other players.

As to PI, I agree with Liliyah that it should be viewed as mandatory. I macro both PI and Inner Focus (targeted to myself) to most of my main healing spells in order to ensure that I'm keeping them rolling. I have an alternative toolbar created that bypasses these selfish macros, so that I can buff another caster in a raid. But I never use it. My/our job is to keep the party up. PI is a HUGE asset in doing that job. The DPSers can take care of their own buffs... most of the time. :-)

I've started to play around with my healing style a bit to see just how far I can stretch my mana out.

Normally when doing heroics ( I am only doing heroics atm guild is not ready to raid yet ) I would mostly smite and use greater heals if the tank needed and most of the time I would be pretty low on mana by the end of the fight sometimes even after using all my cooldowns, it but lately I have been testing out just plain old Heal and I am actually quite surprised at how well it works.

I can pretty much spam 10 or so heals pop a shield spam some more and when the shield breaks I generally gain all the mana back meaning up until the bosses start hitting harder I would be sitting pretty on 100% mana knowing that if poop hit the fan I can cast what I want to get the tank back up and not have to worry about being already through half of my mana.

+ Reply to Thread