+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tankspot Magazine?

Tankspot Magazine?

Donations are a great way to keep a website running but... well I got to thinking. This is usually a dangerous situation so let me take some time to think over what I've got to say about this.
    Okay. I've been a fan of tankspot for a while. I enjoy the raid vids and alot of the discussion. The malygos 25m raid guide helped me bigtime with my tanking strategies. It was the first tankspot vid I watched and it probably got me up and running. At that time, the only addon I had was some knockoff threat mod I don't even remember the name of. Anyway, as I was saying...
    Theres a ton of information on this website. Why not make a magazine of it? Give it a reasonable price and keep pumping out great guides like you already do and alot of us gamers would likely be overjoyed. I'd buy it. I'd subscribe! Theres tons of WoW gamers.
    Guides for classes, raiding, addon lists, even some lore from wow on sidenotes when you cover certain topics. That would make a great magazine.
    Anyone who agrees or disagrees, you are free to voice you opinions. I want the feedback even.
    Oh. This is my first thread to TankSpot. Just registered an hour ago or so.

Side Note: 'anyone know how to change profile pics?'

I'd buy it, if it focused on pvp more. I mainly read TS daily for the community stuff in the donor forums and occasionally the pvp sub forum stuff. I don't raid.. at all, so.. most of that wouldn't pertain to me. Of course thats just me but I'm sure others out there would also like more stuff devoted for pvp

Nobody here is capable of writing a magazine, let alone editing, publishing, printing, distributing, selling ads or selling subscriptions.

Those are all separate departmental functions, and no one here does any of those jobs, let alone run such a department.

Yes that's a snag. But that could all be fixed if it were to go through the right doors. I don't think it's very fair to say the admins of tankspot are incapable of writing a magazine. The whole site is basically an overclocked magazine. Besides. Look at People magazine. Not much skill there. They just copy other magazine rumors. Out of the whole thing they probably have 2 pages of actual words. The rest is just a bunch of mugshots and sniped photos.

Anyway. All those separate functions could be offshoots. Publishing through other companies as a start. What I was thinking was starting a fund for an estimated sum that it would take to get started, based on a count of how many members would buy the magazine. Start with donations working up to that amount and when it is met, then start working on the actual meat and potatoes of the idea.

Oh, man...

The problems with the concept:

#1: as Jammer Six mentioned, we'd need a lot more staff
    #2: print media is not exactly a booming business at the moment (primarily because websites like Tankspot do everything cheaper and faster)
    #3: since the print process takes so long, the guides would actually be outdated by the time they got to your door. Plus, we wouldn't be able to do video content, which is really the big draw to our guides

It's an interesting idea, but unfortunately I don't think it would work out in practice.

Hum... yeah I guess so. Can't blame me for tryin though.

Not to mention money.

Now, I don't know how the comparison looks, but what I DO know is that magazine production and distribution is not cheap.

In an observation that I would criticize others for making, on the surface, to an uninformed participant, it appears that electronic publication and distribution must be cheaper, faster and more accurate than hard copy print.

+ Reply to Thread