+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plagued by bad Deeps

Plagued by bad Deeps

Hello, I've been raid leading since the first few weeks of Wrath. Since then i've been plagued by bad dps. These people are my friends and i enjoy playing with them but with the changes to the game there's no possible way for us to carry them through content anymore. I've talked to them, tried to spark competition but nothing seems to make them want to improve.

I'd like to resolve this problem without booting them from raid. any advice will be appreciated.

the best way to have someone really bring their dps up is to spark competitve raid spots where you take the best people to raid, that forces them, if they truely want to raid, to step their game up by researching whats best for them stat, food and gear wise. another tip would be designating the best dps for every class who is reliable as the class officer and having them talk to anyone who is low on the meters and post or refer people to online sources that will help them either in game or through a guild website. and finally once theyve done some research convince them to go to a test dummy and literally engrave their new rotation into their head by making them run through their rotation endlessly on the dummy until they can do it in their sleep

This game isn't that hard. Honestly, I would consider teaching. Get guides on rotation and gear optimization, and share it with them.

Explain that to do boss X you need them to pull XXXXX + and that this is the best you can do to help. If they are being obtuse about it, then I would consider raiding with a different crowd, and keep other moments with your friends, like pvp, or something.

If a person does not have a burning desire to get the most out of there character and to kill every boss in the game, they do not belong in a raid. Something I have made use of in the past is to open up recruitment for specific slots (players that are slacking). they usually take the hint and get better

Its the Beginning of an expantion alot of people are relearning there class

The expansion has been out for a month and 4.0 (which had the rotation and class mechanics changes) has been live for over 2, levelling to 85 has not changed all that many class mechanics, the only really big change has been the rating to percentage conversions. "relearning your class" time is running out for those who played during the last month of Wrath and dinged 80 in the first or second week of cataclysm. Learning a new rotation is neither hard, nor is it a long process, and the new mechanics were playable on the PTR realm for two months before 4.0 hit for those not lucky enough to get into the cataclysm beta.

If someone still does not know how their character is best played, I would have grave concerns about their dedication to areas of the raiding game such as consumable farming and studying tactics. There is only a certain amount of time that a raid or guild leadership can tolerate this, ultimately if someone is having trouble adjusting to cataclysm then it is better for the raid for them to be replaced (and given another chance in, say, 4 weeks time).

It is all about the raid as a whole, not about single players. I would bench myself for a first kill if I thought it would get the kill earlier.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 12-25-2010 at 05:04 PM.

I think the answer to the question is obvious, but the execution is what's so off-putting as to make people look for alternatives. I have a few people on my raid team that need to improve. As our raids don't officially start until January 7th I've been running some of the problem players through Heroics and offering suggestions to help them improve. (And as much as I know this is contributing to the problem, I've been looking up class mechanics for them and offering suggestions, but it's tiring and should not be one of my responsibilities as the raid leader.)

It really pains me that some of them will have to be replaced, but it's my duty as the GM and Raid Leader to ensure we have a team ready to progress. I know you don't want to remove your friends from the team, but the only real alternative is to be held back or not progress. You'll lose the better players who have put in the time and work, and although this is worst case scenario, the team itself will crumble apart.

You may not feel like it at the end of the day, but you're not being a jerk by removing them from the raid team. If you've given them the opportunity to change, made them aware that their positions were in danger, and they still did nothing to change this ... then the burden of responsibility is solely on them.

That's my opinion on the matter, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread