+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need help as a tank.

I need help as a tank.

Was tanking Halfus Wyrmbreaker tonight, and getting crushed compared to the bear tank. He was absorbing so much more damage then me. When I did block I was getting hit for 20k area. Mostly more, and hardly less. When I wasn't I was getting slapped for over 30k. Never happened with the bear. I made the fight hard, and wasn't able to do it mostly due to me getting crushed.

The Storm Rider was up, and the other drake that increases his attack speed.

My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nikadin/simple

Please help. I've been a MT since BC and never been this discouraged before.

I don't see any particular reason why you might think you are in trouble. Things hit like Mack Trucks on Steroids these days. If you were doing Halfus on hard(er) mode, then expect more damage. I don't know what kind of mitigation and avoidance the bear has. Also, were you keeping Holy Shield up?

Are you getting the brunt of any one particular attack? (I haven't watched the vid, so I don't know his abilities off the top of my head, it's early Sunday morning and I haven't had enough coffee.)
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

I think it's interesting that you'd compare 30k hits to trucks. Arthas hit harder than that. Sindy hit harder than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I think it's interesting that you'd compare 30k hits to trucks. Arthas hit harder than that. Sindy hit harder than that.
    Yeah, and I took those to the face. Those were more like being hit by trains. Well, Arthas hit kinda like a girl. His Soul Reaper, on the other hand, was the big ass train that took my face off.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Well him having 100% faster attack speed didn't help us at all. We might have just gotten a bad combination on drakes. The bear when on the boss was taking at least 10k less damage when his Mastery worked vs's mine when it worked.

We were getting raped by him last night, could choose stormrider, epoch drake, slate dragon and the boss had mortal strike, frenzy and shadow nova. He was stacking up the mortal strike really fast, I was taking 10% of heals after about 20 seconds and it would not fall off in time if we swapped tanks. The dragon add was at about 2 million life when I died and our holy paladin was at about 20k mana left at this point. I am not one to throw in the towel, but how are we supposed to deal with this combination?

Hey there,

I have played a pally tank since release (even when they really sucked to play) but I am in no way saying that word is law, just wanted to throw out that I have done this a little while.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../avanda/simple

I solo ret so many times I log out in my ret gear but that is my charecter to compair too.

For cat I have definately made a load of changes into the way that I tank. Threat really only appears to be an issue in the very early stages of a fight when establishing it, once the ap stacks up through it isnt even a concern. Having this mentality I have come into the double Shield of the Righteous. Being generally Crusader Strike,Judgement,CS,Avengers Shield, CS, SotR, Divine Plea, Judgement, SotR.

This tends to work out fantastically as many times I will have two crits from the SotR right off the bat and will then let me focus on survial after that. Every holy power from then on is spent on Word of Glory, (unless of course it's some safe phase). A useful Macro that I do use though is to have Word of Glory cancel Divine Plea. Being able to use 2-3 Word of Glory casts in a short amount of time has saved me on a number of occasions.

The macro is simple enough,

#showtooltip Word of Glory
    /cancelaura Divine Plea
    /cast Word of Glory

I believe that it, I am not around my game at the moment to check but it is something along those lines. This lets me add Divine Plea to my "cooldown" list.

Another thing that I did notice was that you reforged most of your gear from dodge and parry into hit and expertise. I have not reforged my gear at the moment but due to the way that threat has been building for me I was going to reforge my gear from hit to more survival stats. If threat is that large of an issue I can see the problem but as long as you are able to maintain then the survival might be more prudent. Don't get me wrong I do want and need the threat stats but it is on a lower priority to surviving as long as I am not losing threat.

I mean then the basic basics, you know, dont LoS the healers, be wary of their mana if possible, using a large cooldown when they are low on mana and will have a chance to regen vs waiting till they are completely out can change things. Also I do suggest getting Divine Guardian. heals cost alot of time for a raid and alot of mana, being able to save each healer effectively 20% of that on a large aoe, really will save them mana and time which they would be spending healing groups into healing you.

What you recently see is changes I've made since no one really gave me to much input lol I've found being hit capped has helped with threat a lot. I'll be tanking the same boss again this coming wednesday so I'll see how the changes effect me.

+ Reply to Thread