Thread: Erudax HC: er...

Erudax HC: er...

I've rarely managed to get a PUG group past Umbriss, so the first Guild run we get to Erudax; We ahd some problems.

• We're moving from binding shadows, no boss healing from them
    • I am intervene, rocket jumping, rocket belting, life gripping to make sure i don't take another hit while suffereing from Enfeebling Blow
    • we're DPSing as hard as we can from the eye of Shadow Gale
    now the adds, how do we handle the adds? we can just about nuke one down before it hits the eggs, and the other will generally be up for 1 or two heals, so we may get one heal through. we just don't have the DPS to nuke the adds I reckon. so what kinf of DPS should level 85s be looking at pulling for this fight, and in general.

If your dps is only able to kill one add before they start casting, they're doing something wrong. The adds spawn immediately after the shadow gale. That means your dps should be running to get in range of them when they spawn as soon as the shadow gale ends.

If they're doing that and you still can't kill the adds quickly enough, the heal can be interrupted. Your best bet is to put 2 of your DPS on one add, and put whatever DPS has an interrupt on the other. Have the 2 kill their add then switch to the other. They can also be slowed so there's other ways to do this, like putting a dps who can slow on each add.

Don't be afraid to have your tank help DPS the adds too. Most of the time our tank will run the boss to where the adds spawn after the shadow gale so melee can have a higher uptime on DPS and the tank can DPS the adds too.

You simply have to kill them before they finish corrupting the egg.

One way in which we successfully beat the encounter was to have the healer (myself) switch to DPS. I healed it as a Balance Druid because the vast majority of the damage was avoidable and many tanks can heal themselvs for considerable time. We had our DPS dodging the Binding Shadows since all you need to do is set your focus to the boss and watch for target switches to know when it is coming. Also since we did it without a healing speced player, we wouldn't have been able to clense the debuff anyway (think one person got hit once that I simply had to heal up during the gale). When the tank gets punted all they do is back up further so the debuff falls off before the boss reaches them. So much of the damage in this encounter is avoidable that it is definately possible to hybrid heal it. Especially if the tank is a Death Knight or Paladin since they can do considerable self healing. Warrior or Druid tank would be a little harder but still doable.

Alternatively if you don't have this option, you can still have your healer help DPS one of the adds. Since healing need for this fight when properly executed should be trivial they can afford to spend some time killing the add. The tank should be able to live until the adds are dead anyway since you topped them off easily during the Gale.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 12-20-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Ran this as a pally tank in a pug the other night. For killing the adds, we had our 3 dps focus one down, while slowing the other. I would also position myself so the knock back hit me right into the 2nd add, and I would dps the 2nd while the first was being taken down. Once the first was down. The 2nd would already be down a bit.

Basically, we wiped whenever the dragons spawned, and the one pull we were able to dps the adds down b4 dragon spawns, we won. The tank should be able to dps the adds as well, just so long as he does it after the punt, and doesnt turn his back on the boss.

The adds NEED to be slowed, and your Melee/Ranged DPS need to be ready when they come out. FYI, Adds always spawn after a Shadow Gale (Or Storm or w/e it's called). So after the gale, I made sure our melee DPS were ready to run backwards, We had 2 melee and 1 ranged. I put one of the melee on each mob, and the Warlock was busy dotting both of them up. Healer didn't OOM at all, and it was a really clean kill after you manage to kill the adds before the spawn the eggs.

Only done it as a dk tank so far. Chains on one add while the dps slow and burn the other add. I like to have the boss knock me back to the entrance of the room for chaining he adds. I find there is no reason to take a few steps back for the knockback debuff since it always expires just before he gets back into range. Basically the same exact fight but adding a dps race on the adds. Easiest fight in GB if you ask me.

Cleared it with my guild yesterday. We had a lot of trouble downing/managing the adds at first and we were lacking on DPS (had only 1 person outputting 9k+, the others were below 7k). We had two mages and a rogue though, so we had a lot of options to slow them down. To cope with this lack of DPS, we had our priest healer go Shadow spec, while I, a paladin tank, would keep myself alive. Yes, if you are careful with not taking unecessary damage on the fight, a paladin tank can heal himself through all of it.

I pulled with Seal on Truth, built a sufficient threat lead, then switched to Seal of Insight and started spamming Word of Glory on myself and a couple of snipe heals on low health party members. Divine Intervention used every cooldown as well as Eternal Glory to minimize damage and maximize healing. During Shadow Gale, I used Divine Light on untopped people. You have time to cast about 2 Divine Light during Shadow Gale depending on how quick you get to the patch on the ground. Then it was back on the boss, and with Seal of Insight activated, I'd pretty much get all my mana back in less than 15 sec.

From there on it's a simple question of making sure no adds are able to free whelps, that party members are evading Shadow Bindings as much as possible, and that the tank is evading boss damage as much as possible. When you get knocked back and get the debuff, kite him around a bit. What I'd do is I'd stand on one side of the area, my back faced towards the middle. I'd get knocked back to the middle and start running away to the other side, wait for the debuff to clear, then turn the boss around to have my back again face the middle.

I can't say it was a piece of cake, and I'm pretty sure this is not the optimal way to do it, but it is still possible, and quite possibly the only way this group could have pulled it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauun View Post
    I can't say it was a piece of cake, and I'm pretty sure this is not the optimal way to do it, but it is still possible, and quite possibly the only way this group could have pulled it off.
    Actually, that is the "optimal" way to do it. If people are paying good enough attention to the Binding Shadows to avoid them, you don't really need a healer to keep the tank alive. All damage other than the direct damage on the tank is avoidable, and the direct damage on the tank is usually small enough for them to keep themselves up or only require minor healing from a hybrid dps (i.e. top off during Gale). Obviously if you can do it with four DPS instead of three DPS, both the boss and the adds die faster. It isn't the intended way to do it, but it is definately the optimal if you have the necessary skills for avoiding unnecessary damage. In either case, since damage on the tank is so trivial overall, the healer should help on the adds as well, regardless of if they are speced DPS or not.

This method however requires a bit more awareness from your group members. Easier to convey with a preformed group, harder to get properly executed in a pick up group.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I'm an arcane mage and what I personally have done is that after shadow gale, I immediately blink to the entrance where the 2 adds spawn and I cast cone of cold to slow them down, giving 2 of the DPS time to get to one of the adds and focus fire him while I solo the other one since I can pretty much spam AB and have slow be refreshed. Even if the DPS are lacking, the key is jumping to them as soon as possible and slow them down simultaneously..If you do that, the rest of the encounter is extremely easy. Mages (any spec) can bring out frostbolt and use it as a means of slow, I believe rogues and warriors and perhaps DKs have ways of slowing the adds down...They don't have that much HP so even with 6-7k dps, if they are slowed down as soon as they hit the entrance and split, you have hell of a lot time before they get to the eggs and start casting the corruption

For me the best bet is to place one dd with a slow effect on each add (almost every class has one, so that shouldn't be a problem) and the remaining _range_ dd in the middle, nuking down the target of the more troubled dd first, then having all the dps switched to the other add.

some minor tweaks:
    -if you are low on dps, the dds can start run towards the entrance just before the gale runs out. will be a little harder on your healer but may be worth it.
    -as a tank you can use the knockback of feeble body to be pushed towards the entrance, just like some people said above. I don't know the exact cd timer, but from my experience he casts it up to two times between every gale phase, the time in between being long enough to help dps the second add.

anyway, never ever face with your back against debris/eggs which you can be stuck behind. while not paying attention to feeble body I was thrown behind some debris and couldn't find my way out fast enough because of an impossible camera angle