+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: After 75% [warrior]

Sure, block doesn't help me live through magical attacks. However, every tank's primary toolbox gears them towards dealing with physical damage. Now I haven't seen any of the raids yet, but unless there's magical attacks that simply 1 or 2 shot you (possibly combined with a normal melee swing) then there's not that much of a reason to go stacking stamina. I'm a firm believer of effective health, but I think it's best applied in gearing for pushing/progressing through burst damage encounters.

The talks I've had with my healers made me see that at the end of their mana bar they usually still have people alive and then the party/raid whatever slowly withers down. Healers like a regulated damage intake, so they can get into the swing of things and time their heals to your damage intake. Long avoidance strings are 'bad' because healers might waste mana on a heal that's not needed. Being a mana sponge with a ton of health isn't all that because your healer will just run out of mana. Block is so good because it regulates our damage intake.

Also, my toon's a night elf, mistersix. (has been, and most likely will be)
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Block won't help you with aoe and magic attacks in general so i'd recommend still gem for stamina (blue), stamina/mastery (yellow) and stamina/parry (red) until you have enough gear to swap around for every encounter.
    stam/mastery for blue, mastery for yellow, and parry/mastery for red has been working well for me in 25s and very well in heroics. halfus was a bit tough but mostly due to the combo we had for the week (nether, slate, and whelps). had no problems with magmaw, conclaive, and omnitron with keeping me up...
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Shield Block:
    "Increases your chance to block by 25% for 10 sec. In addition, if your total chance to block or avoid an attack exceeds 100%, your chance to critically block is increased by the excess."

Am i missing something here? I personally have 11% dodge, 14% parry, 5% miss = 30%.

Disregarding the 3 lvl boss difference, what would be the point in going above 70% block?

you have to add block as well to your 30%.

the point in getting to 100% is that every attack will be either avoided (dodged, parried, or missed) or reduced (mitigated) through block. when you hit shield block with 100% that gives you 25% more critical block on top of the critical block you already have. critical blocks reduce incoming attacks by 60%, making shield block even better than shield wall for physical attacks.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I think you misread my post.

What i am asking is if theres any point in getting more than 70% block, if having 30% avoidance, meaning 100% chance of not getting normal hits.

for instance, in wotlk, some boses had unavoidable hits that i believe could actually be blocked instead, if this is still the case then i can see a point in going 100% block, but otherwise i would rather go for avoidance rather than excess of 100% total block+avoidance.

For all the jc/bs combos out there -- are you gemming stam or mastery with your chimera's eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hovsa View Post
    I think you misread my post.

What i am asking is if theres any point in getting more than 70% block, if having 30% avoidance, meaning 100% chance of not getting normal hits.
    Above 100% the additional amount is turned into additional crit block, which means reducing damage by 60% instead of 30%.

At that point, there may very well be other things that are more beneficial that additional crit block. Kaz was only saying that the additional isn't wasted.

Essentially, mastery is always good, but up till the unhittable %, it is tops.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    For all the jc/bs combos out there -- are you gemming stam or mastery with your chimera's eyes?
    I went with Mastery (Fractured Chimera Eyes) over Stam, just to get me closer to that magical 75%.

So what about Vengeance? 102.3% seems to go against it, and reforging exp/hit to mastery makes it worse. I personally will try to hover around 75% and only do 102.3% if its required for a fight.
    Nimchip - Warrior | Nimchy - Druid | Nimchy - Rogue | Nimch - Priest
    US BDF - SoldOut

75% total block+parry+dodge+miss is easy to get, and warriors should definitely get there one way or another so that Shield Block is like a 30% shield wall while active.

Past 75% is less of a gain since you've already reached unhittable with Shield Block. But, a lot of tanks are still pushing past 75% just for the bit of extra avoidance/block while Shield Block is down. The crit-block overflow aspect isn't coming into play that much right now. Not to mention I'd like to see it tested and proven to even work.

BTW I don't think reaching 102.4% standing is even possible for a warrior atm.

For the magical damage, from what Ive seem sp far. it really looks like havign the totem of resistance, plus having that beautiful from TB, which makes your magic resistance go over 600 each minutes, for 10 sec. I do not think magical damage is an issue.

Plus, reducing the damage input seems to be the direction blizzard wants us to take since having a lot of stamina helps survability, but it does not help our healer's mana, and that seems to be the main issue. There is no more 1 shot bosses from what ive seen so far.

Is miss now a base calculation of 5% we take as a given since its no longer displayed in the DEF tool tip due to it being removed?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    stam/mastery for blue, mastery for yellow, and parry/mastery for red has been working well for me in 25s and very well in heroics.
    I thought for a few days about your statement there, thinking you're deep into heroic modes by now. I researched tons of armory profiles, looking for tanks going the same route you're advising but the majority is on the stamina route.

Treckie <Method>
    Sco <Method>
    Kungen <Ensidia>

Outstanding is eg Xax <Premonition> with 83% combined block+avoidance so i guess both routes are possible and the major stamina contribution factor seems to the choice of trinkets (stamina ones with beneficial procc/on use effect vs tol bard + alchemist stone) which can easily be exchanged on purpose.
    Last edited by klausi; 12-30-2010 at 04:50 AM.

You shouldn't be surprised to see more tanks stam stacking... out of habit.

Or it's because some magical attacks hits like a truck and those tanks just swap their gear/gems around often.. Kungen wears now a more mastery heavy equipment. I guess it's because warrior have only one cooldown to reduce the incoming magical damage and it's on a 120s timer. Tol Barad trinket (40% magical damage reduce for 10s every 60s) fills a huge gap for us here.

I'll give mastery definitely a try but it's a long road (another ~ 2400 mastery to go) until 100%

I would honestly not follow the mentality of an full on stamina set, with the tol barad trinket being on 1min coldown, theres not much more we need to take care of the magical attacks, plus, if we manage to get extremely high on avoidance and block, we can use a rotation of shield wall, tol barad, last stand rotation to make sure we do not die from anything magical.

Ive been working with the spreadsheet of the warrior and, I think the key item would be the heroic version of http://www.wowhead.com/item=65048 which gives 1089 Mastery and is from one of the first bosses that should die in heroic modes, *easy* to get. I think it is the next step to go to as a warrior, after the 77.4% avoidance.

Why ? Because once you get that item, you can budget ur mastery and avoidance to reach a level of 93.29% (102.4% minus the 9.11% from the trinket since there is no DR) avoidance/block and any attacks that pushes you lower than 30% hp will give a 102/4% chance to be blocked, and around 56.1% to be critical without shield block.

The good thing about this strategy of budgeting your stats is that it gives you 102.4% when you need it the most, which is below 30% HP without giving up you coldowns and without gimping too much your stamina since the last 9.11% would cost you a lot of mastery rating that you can use somewhere else.

To the more pratical level, lets use nefarian normal mode 10man. This boss hits for 33934.0 to 780481 on a warrior decently geared for the encounter. Our Hp pools vary from one another but we are talking about an HP pool of around 180 000 due to lowering it by stacking mastery and avoidance. Therefore, 30% is around 57 000. Since the melee damage is very static, you can easily see the little window between 30% and 45% where the boss could 1 shot you ( Very Very unlikely, but we dont like RNG) and that is when you need to use your shield block, to push any hits that could kill you off the table, by reducing the hardest hit possible (Here is 80K) by 30% minimum. The hit will be of 54 000 in the worst case scenario, and you will be able to glimp it up since you are now unhittable, shield block is up, and you have around 81% chance of critical blocks.

That is my reasoning behind telling you that 93.29% plus this trinket is the next stage after 77.4% avoidance. I highly suggest being Night Elf to budget around this.

PS : Sorry, English is my second language.

The worm is also a nice stam trinket in general. Your English was totally fine by the way.

Actually, erase the idea I just put, it is mathemtically impossible to reach that point with the budget of ratings we have, I guess we have to stick with the old mentality, get 77.4% then rebalance for more Parry Dodge and stamina while taking more and more mastery without dropping the 77.4%

I'm a bit confused, so I want to clarify this:
    We should stack mastery/block in order to reach Dodge+Parry+Miss+Block => 75%?
    At the expense of Hit and Expertise? Don't even worry about them?

If so, then I need to seriously reforge, regem, and re-enchant gear. At least I'm only just now starting in Heroics, so haven't gone too far down the wrong road.

Working towards that end, I just modified an old macro to give me a quick total of that %:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Unhittable % currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", (GetDodgeChance())+(GetParryChance())+(GetBlockCha nce())+5))

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    I thought for a few days about your statement there, thinking you're deep into heroic modes by now.
    sorry for the misunderstanding, i meant 5 man heroics. i still refer to heroic raid bosses as hardmodes still so i use heroics to describe 5 mans.

i have been looking at method's tank sco for a few days now and wondering if i should instead go the stamina route. xav is going the avoidance route that i am basically going and it seems to be working judging by his hardmode progression. maybe both ways are viable with one maybe having a slight edge in hardmodes.

once i get more gear i will just maintain 77.4% unhittable for shield block and regem for eh and reforge for expertise.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

+ Reply to Thread