Thread: Stunning Valks in LK 10 Normal

Stunning Valks in LK 10 Normal

Im an arms DPS warrior and been doing the LK fight quite a few times now
    is it actually possible to stun them.
    i have never once managed to charge them yet and have had other people complain of the same thing with other classes

only things ive seen work so far is
    DK chains
    Hunters Frost trap
    and druid Roots

any ideas?

Stuns definitely work. I have helped a couple groups on LK10 normal kills since 4.0.3 and 4.0.3a, and all the usual stuns work. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the charge/intercept stuns work, but sometimes it refuses to let you use the ability at all on valks -- probably a glitch. But when I did it on my warrior (as prot), Conc blow and Shockwave both worked as expected. I've seen other stuns work as well.

Note though, that snares (like roots) shouldn't have any effect; only slowing effects and stuns work.

ok thanks we are doing it again tonight so ill keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyman View Post
    ok thanks we are doing it again tonight so ill keep trying.
    You're the only one with a stun? What's your group makeup?

Hamstring also works for a slow. Otherwise, all of the stuns work as Bashal has said, they are just subject to DR's.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Group make up is DK , Pala Tanks

DPS
    Arms (me)
    DK
    lock
    hunter
    ...then either another hunter or lock depending who is online

Heals
    priest disc
    pala
    druid

I know we have plenty of stuns an slows but we seem to be really failing at this and so i wanted to take charge of the situation as Raid leader i have a little more awareness than some of are other team members.

did about 5 attempts an the only thing i ever saw hit a valk was icy chains.
    again charge did not light up once

Macros really help on the valks.

You can either do a simple /tar val, or if you have a stun or slow effect, you can do something like this:

/tar val
    /cast frost shock

You just mash the macro and you're done; you have it targeted and now you can start wailing away on it.

If the dk is unholy, his pet can stun.
    If the lock is destro, he should be able to shadowfury the valk every time one comes down.
    The paladins have hammer of justice and holy wrath (the valk counts as undead), at least one of those pallies should be free to stun a valk most of the time.

These guys really need to help, get it slowed, get it stunned, get it killed as fast as possible -- you'll need to impress this on them in whatever way is appropriate to your guild's culture. You just can't take out the valks easily without at least one good stun going off, two is better, and everyone has to jump on this thing fast. You can't half-ass the valks.

As a resto shammy, I used the frost shock macro above the instant a valk swooped down, to make sure it was slowed immediately, which helped the dps a lot, especially the melee.
    Last edited by Bashal; 11-26-2010 at 08:05 AM.

I think your Paladin tank is slacking off. Depending on who is tanking the LK, he has little or nothing to do for most of this phase, he should be using holy wrath when it drops and hammer on it at the edge.

The DPS is a big thing as well, if they don't switch the second that valk comes down, you are never going to kill it. Is your warlock cheesing it as well with the port on the edge?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by woodyman View Post
    Group make up is DK , Pala Tanks

DPS
    Arms (me)
    DK
    lock
    hunter
    ...then either another hunter or lock depending who is online

Heals
    priest disc
    pala
    druid

I know we have plenty of stuns an slows but we seem to be really failing at this and so i wanted to take charge of the situation as Raid leader i have a little more awareness than some of are other team members.

did about 5 attempts an the only thing i ever saw hit a valk was icy chains.
    again charge did not light up once
    Sorry but I just had to reply to the bottom bit.

Your an arms warrior, your not a prot warrior.

You dont have warbringer so charge will never light up for you during combat.

On the stun front I would go for paladin stuns aswell as slows from your dk and maybe traps from the hunter if he is about, Although traps can cause issues with avoiding defile.

Edit always forget Juggernaut, forget the charge bit.

maybe you dont have that talent?
    Last edited by Sifer; 11-26-2010 at 01:43 PM.

stuns and dps on valks is absolutely essential to the sucess of downing lich king - i finally got my Kingslayer title last week and i'm kinda mad it appeared so easy once you know how to stun - kill valks very fast

i think the diminishing returns is the reason why ppl have trouble with that phase...

Stunning Valks in LK 10 Normal

Agreed. I think the valk goes immune after the third one. If two or three all use a stun immediately, you just wasted all your stunned time. These need to be predesignated and called out real time too.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng