+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ironbeaver's Healing User Interface - Ui

Ironbeaver's Healing User Interface - Ui

Hello and thank you for taking the time to take a look at my Ui. I just recently started designing my new user interface in an attempt to make the layout a little more "healer" friendly. Let's start with a picture of my Ui so far.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/5...1511055711.jpg

Let me start by saying I didn't post this here so that people can download my Ui and use it with their toon, although there are many people who do, do this and there's nothing wrong with it. I made this thread to show my Ui and hopefully have some people give suggestions or comments, possibly engage in some discussion about healing UI's in general, or ask questions about various addons used to create a new Ui. I personally would enjoy a larger community of people who actually "construct" their Ui as opposed to downloading someone's.

So really without hurting any feelings this thread is to discuss the construction of User interface's, not to say: Hey dude, I totally extracted ur stuff from that errrm folder, but uhh all this stuff is in the middle of my screen! Help! It won't work!

To these lost soul's I have one suggestion: Design your own.

This may seem harsh at first, but downloading a pre-made Ui and having no idea how to tweak any of the addons probably won't serve u to well anyways. So for those who are jumping head first into in, this thread is here to help.

Healing Ui.... Why?

Everyone has there own reasons for wanting to mod there Ui, U might want your bars to be smaller, less clutter, u might want to make stuff ezier to read. You may want to... Put recount directly in the middle of ur screen so u can faceroll and watch the numbers, maybe even put ur map... Something u rarely even look at, in that prime real-estate? Who knows? To every person there own. My main reason, and I think most healers main reason's to mod their Ui is really simple. We want our "Grid" in the middle of our screen, where the blizzard stock Ui has those huge nasty spellbars. There are many reasons for this, the main reason being to utilize the full ability of Dun Dun Dun "peripheral vision", if your grid is on the left and ur staring at it ur wasting the left side of ur PV, same goes for the right, so the middle just makes the most sense. (I would love to discuss this if any1 has an idea on where a better place for it would be) Other reasons for modding can be space, cleanliness, vision, hell even being able to copy stuff from your chat window to your browser, anything that makes life ezier on the player is a good thing.

So this thread all in all is for discussion, u wanna know how to change a setting on a certain addon? Ask. You wanna tell me my Ui stinks? Do it .

Here's a list of the main addons I used to accomplish my look:

Kgpanels - Make's thing pretty :P
    Prat - Chat frame enhancement
    Recount - Statistical readouts
    Omen - Threat meter
    Bartender - Alows the destruction of blizzards stupid spellbars
    Sexymap - Sexify's ur map
    Tiptac - Tooltip editing
    Moveanything - ......
    Vuhdo <- The grid I use
    Acbcastbar (I unno why but I hate quartz)
    FuBar (money/durability/performance/time plugins)
    Pitbull (Haven't done my unit frames yet, still thinking about em.)
    IceHuD <- Holy power bar / life and mana on screen HuD
    Power Auras - Cd's / Timers

I'm sure I missed one or two, and there's nothing in my Ui done with pitbull yet, but other than unit frames I'm pretty much done.

Now all the hardcore Ui builders out there just need to tell me what I did wrong. :P

Thanks for your time, and any replies.

Hey Guys Just adding some more screenshots of my Ui. Ill try to throw a video of a raid up soon so u can see in more detail.

Make sure you click "zoom in" option to make the pictures more esily viewable.

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...111_191715.jpg Quick screen of current ui, and my tooltips as it looks while in a city. (non-combat)

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...1_173053-1.jpg Without all my aura timers popped.

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...111_173125.jpg All Timers popped for power auras.

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=uishat.png Heres all the parts of my ui labelled by which addon is doing the modding.

Also in the third screenshot u can see the tank is using Divine protection and its displayed in the top right of his healthbar. He also has a debuff which is why his bar is blue. I just took these in a 5 man and like i said i will attempt to take a video in a raid situation for u guys and post it as well.

Hey guys took a video of H Ryolith 10 man to show my UI in a video. Lemme know what u think!!!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0BYjSDk-koY
    Last edited by Ironbeaver; 07-21-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Added video of UI

This is the best UI I've seen so far. The others tend to be or really messy with everything in the middle of the screen blocking your view or really lacking some things I consider mandatory. Yours seem to have a good balance, though...
    Only thing I don't like from other custom UI's compared to blizzard standard is the lack of buttons! How can you live with that few buttons? Seriously, I'm asking.

Also, could you upload some more pictures of your UI while you're in a raid? That's the point when a UI falls or rises for me, since you need to have so much info in control and not every UI manages to do that...

Anyways, congatulations for your UI, seems really pretty and useful to me

Can or will u apply ur UI??

I really liked it, doesnt have the things in front of our char and we can see where we walk, perfect for council hc

And need some fixes on omen, etc can't see everything

Thanks McMartigan. I will definitely upload some pics while in a raid. The reason I can get away with so few buttons is several answers long.
    First I use Vuhdo and keep in mind this UI is strictly for healing in my case (it could be adapted for other specs.) Vudo allows for extensive mouse over macro's to be easily set up. I also use a g13 gamepad instead of a keyboard on my left hand. My mouse has 5 buttons, and I use shift / alt as modifier keys, therefore I can set mouse buttons 1-5, alt + 1-5, shift + 1-5. This gives me 15 "buttons" which are ALL programmed into my muscle memory so I don't need to have the spelltips on my screen as my hands go where they need for each spell. The other thing allowing for so few buttons is power auras. In one of the pica I have posted I try to show how those work. Basically I made a "Heads up display" that encircles my character and allows me to gain all vital info (health/mana/CDs available/ duration of cd/ etc) while keeping my eyes tuned on my character. This helps drastically with healer tunnel vision because ur looking directly at your toon to read vitals and check cd timers instead of looking in the bottom corner of your screen.

Hope this helps explain the bars, sorry for the wall-o-text

If you have anything else to ask I would love to talk jus lemme know.
    Thanks again for your comment.

Iron

I would suggest on your screen shot pointing out which add on is doing what. So we can build from your UI post ours and compare contrast sort of thing.

Your UI looks great man excellent job most UI's are confussing to look at and understand what is going on through out the screen , but yours looks simple. Only question is in your but your raid frames in the middle of your screen how do you move them?? move UI's have a command known as /moveui Will yours have a similar command? I'll wait for the download for this UI looks interesting and wants to raid with this soon bro!
    excellent job!

-- Italus

For those of you who were asking, after work today I will be adding some more pics, a better explanation if which addons do what, and I'll also grab a shot while I'm in a raid for u guys. Thanks for posting hope to dicuss more after I throw the pics up.

will this be up for download?

Hey guys i updated the Original post and threw a bunch pics in at the bottom. Check them out and lemme know what u think. Im working on a labeled pic to show wat addons are what and also gunna be taking a video for u guys while im in a raid asap. Look forward to your comments thanks.

+ Reply to Thread