+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit Rating

Hit Rating

How much hit rating do we need? I know expertise is the same.
    If we donít make it alive, well itís a hell of a good day to die
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hadgar&n=Angur

Enough to get 8%, but don't sweat right now if you cannot get 8% hit and 26 expertise, tank threat is through the roof and half-way to the moon with zero hit and expertise. I think it is about 1000 hit rating, but I would need to check that.

Mouseover your hit% in the pull-out tab of your character pane.

It will show you how far *you* are from capping against the full range of possible opponents.

This value includes racial and talent buffs that increase your hit chance passively at all times, but will not include procs or weapon-specific buffs unless you have that weapon equipped or that proc active.

The specific value for a Prot Warrior to cap special attacks and auto-attacks is 961 (about 120.07 hit rating per 1%).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

The common response is that hit/exp are not an issue at this point because of threat, and they aren't. Unfortunately, when you must interrupt Arcanotron, Halfus, Maloriak and others without question or suffer massive amounts of raid damage, you will quickly realize the reason you need hit.

To put it into perspective, I was one of the interrupters on Halfus last night and over the course of a few attempts missed or was dodge/parried 7x. 7 Shadow Novas equates to 2.1 Million damage to our raid. This also applies to a 200k powered blast by Arcanotron if he gets caught in a vortex, or adds/electric AOE on Maloriak. I am sure this will also apply to more fights as we reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
    To put it into perspective, I was one of the interrupters on Halfus last night and over the course of a few attempts missed or was dodge/parried 7x.
    Casts can't be dodged or parried due to the cast itself, only +8% hit is interesting there.

On a sidenote: i'm on kite duty on Maloriak and missing key Piercing Howls/Shockwaves with 9 adds up is almost always equal to a wipe. Sitting on whooping +2.39% hit i was considering reforging but just went with using 2 hit trinkets. Expertise is nice to have for sure, intially shieldslam-revenge-devastate combo dodged/parried might hurt, but dropping some %ish migitation & avoidance with the actual gear status doesn't look that appealing either.

im running with 3% hit at the moment. aggro isnt a problem, but interupt immune warnings are.

this might be off topic, bbut is parry haste on the table in cata heroics/trash/raid content?

if it is then id much sooner look to cap exp b4 hit.. sure, im down several thousand dps since i droped below 5% hit and i miss a few interupts, but its managable
    "Dear Santoro, Your wisdom has enlightened me. Thanks!"

exp > hit until 26 exp (because it reduces both the chance of being dodged and parry) after 26 exp they're equal as it's parry vs miss. Unless they've changed this function.

Interrupt immune means the spell the mob is casting can't be interrupted (a lot of boss casts are this way - e.g. DBS's mark of the fallen in ICC couldn't be interrupted like LDW's shadowbolt - more of the former and fewer of the later in general) unless I'm missing the boat in which case no amount of hit/exp will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Interrupt immune means the spell the mob is casting can't be interrupted (a lot of boss casts are this way - e.g. DBS's mark of the fallen in ICC couldn't be interrupted like LDW's shadowbolt - more of the former and fewer of the later in general) unless I'm missing the boat in which case no amount of hit/exp will matter.
    He might be getting confused and seeing the Immune that comes from the silence when specced into gag order.

Quote Originally Posted by Symph View Post
    He might be getting confused and seeing the Immune that comes from the silence when specced into gag order.
    you know what.. i never even thought of that. id have to check.. i also have an addon that warns the party/raid if i register an immune.. id have to check there aswell.

thanks.
    "Dear Santoro, Your wisdom has enlightened me. Thanks!"

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Casts can't be dodged or parried due to the cast itself, only +8% hit is interesting there.
    [21:20:41.661] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [21:20:43.708] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [21:20:43.708] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Dodge

[22:15:10.286] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [22:15:16.724] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [22:15:16.724] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Parry

[22:22:20.428] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [22:22:21.628] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [22:22:21.628] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Dodge

Perhaps I do not understand, but does that not indicate I am being dodged and parried during his cast?
    irnub of Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
    [21:20:41.661] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [21:20:43.708] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [21:20:43.708] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Dodge

[22:15:10.286] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [22:15:16.724] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [22:15:16.724] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Parry

[22:22:20.428] Halfus Wyrmbreaker begins to cast Shadow Nova
    [22:22:21.628] Krg casts Shield Bash on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    [22:22:21.628] Krg Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Dodge

Perhaps I do not understand, but does that not indicate I am being dodged and parried during his cast?
    He's gotten the wrong end of the stick, he's thinking you mean that your spells are being dodged/parried not your interupt.

Frost bolt is a spell and cannot be dodged or parried or blocked, it can only miss. Shield bash as a physical ability can be dodged, parried, Blocked or Miss.

I gotta say i do really miss being Expertise and hit capped for interupts, it was bad enough when a frostbolt volley on Val got through, let alone the Shockblast from the 1st boss of ToT.

We let a DPS worry about interrupts on Halfus, the damage on the tanks is rough on healer mana so survival > threat stats.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    He's gotten the wrong end of the stick, he's thinking you mean that your spells are being dodged/parried not your interupt.
    When did this change? It at least used to be that while casting, it was impossible to dodge or parry, so only hit would matter for interrupts.

As far as the provided partial log, I can only assume that either someone else snuck in an interrupt of their own before the Shield Bash went off, or the ability finished casting. Either would mean that Wyrmbreaker was no longer casting, and thus was able to dodge and parry again. I haven't done this fight myself, but some Wowhead research shows the ability should be a 1.5 second cast time, assuming the Storm Rider is active. In that case, only the third listed Shield Bash went off early enough to be within the cast time to begin with, and is still late enough that someone else may have interrupted.
    Last edited by Stancedancer; 12-20-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added quote

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    We let a DPS worry about interrupts on Halfus, the damage on the tanks is rough on healer mana so survival > threat stats.
    This is the same for us as well. DPS have a requirement for hit cap due to their nature, to do the best damage they can. I think it's only logical to make use of that and not make your tanks gear for max hit and expertise when it is clearly not something they need. I am now 7 expertise and 6% hit and had no problems tanking Halfus last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Stancedancer View Post
    In that case, only the third listed Shield Bash went off early enough to be within the cast time to begin with, and is still late enough that someone else may have interrupted.
    I actually did a little more digging last night and used the interrupts on the Corrupted Adherents on Cho'Gall as reference. It seems every time I was dodge/parry/blocked by the adherent, my shield bash had actually gone off (sometimes milliseconds) after its cast was over. I would love a blue post as reference, but I actually have yet to find a log parse where a block/dodge/parry has happened DURING the cast of an mob's spell cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I think it's only logical to make use of that and not make your tanks gear for max hit and expertise when it is clearly not something they need. I am now 7 expertise and 6% hit and had no problems tanking Halfus last night.
    I believe this is contingent upon whether you are in a 10 or 25 man raid setting. In our 10 mans, I am a very valuable interrupter, whereas in a 25 man you have a plethora of DPS available to handle this for you.
    irnub of Bleeding Hollow

To elaborate on the above post and some results from that which can be drawn:

Interrupting is a vital role for tanks (warriors especially) in 10 man tanking, and with that a high hit rating is also equally vital; however, in the 25 man variant, you have a plethora of DPS to do these interrupts for you, so you can purely focus on avoidance and mitigation.

What's more, is that if it is indeed true that a mob cannot dodge/parry/block when they are casting -- which it very much seems to be --- then melee interrupts only require hit cap, not expertise in any way/shape/form.

With the above being said, 10 man tanks should be getting to the hit cap, or as close to it as possible, while reforging expertise for avoidance/mitigation (since threat is not currently an issue with vengeance), and 25 man tanks can probably still purely rely on DPS interrupts and go strict avoidance/mit.
    irnub of Bleeding Hollow

+ Reply to Thread