+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Halfus Wyrmbreaker

well what i mean is if you donīt have stormdrake available

...Then he doesn't do the shadow nova.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

We had the Nether Scion and Slate Dragons on our kill. In theory if your healers are really good, you can down one dragon and leave the other up. We killed the Nether Scion and hit Bloodlust right off the hop, the stun effect from the Slate Dragon makes it healing intensive but it can be done, heck we had people below hit cap and just narrowly beat enrage.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

We had Slate, Nether and Whelps. We took 3 tanks, 3 healers and 4 dps.

This really helps at the start when the damage was just too high for healers to heal through if we released only Slate or Nether or both at once. We released both Slate and Nether at the start and killed Slate first then Nether then released whelps and killed Halfus. Another tank traded with the person tanking Halfus whenever they got about 5 stacks, and the 3rd tank picked up the whelps at the end.

You can't really fail this way, individually tanking everything works wonderfully. Another tip for the very start of the fight is to taunt Halfus and run to back wall while the dragons are released to avoid those first hard hits.

Group was: prot warrior, prot pally, druid tank, shammy healer, druid healer, pally healer, ele shammy, 2 warlocks, dk all with at least 340 ilevel.

Re: Halfus Wyrmbreaker

We had slate, nether, and whelps as well.

We opened and downed nether, then opened and downed the whelp cage. Then we opened and downed slate, then took the fight to halfus; timewarped at 50%.

Dk & druid tanks, holy pally, holy priest, resto druid, fire mage, ret pally, fury warrior, shadow priest, assn rogue,.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Our guild's first successful kill was with a 10 man.

Our drakes were the Slate Drake, Nether Scion and the whelps. Our set up was 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 DPS.

We just ignored the Slate Drake. We released the Nether Scion right away and popped Heroism. One the healing debuff was to high, our tanks switched targets between Halfus and the Nether Scion (taunted off each other). We then released the whelps and did the same thing as we burned them down.

After the whelps were down we left the Slate Drake in his cage and finished off the Halfus. Our tanks would just taunt off each other every 30 seconds.

We came in just under the enrage timer.

Downed on 10m tonight, ~3 hours, 12 or so attempts. We had Nether and Slate.

Raid makup:

Prot Pal
    Prot War (Me)
    Resto Shm
    Resto Dru
    Holy Pri
    Lock (not sure spec)
    Ele Shm
    Arms War
    DK (not sure spec)
    Mut Rot

What ended up working, was we would pull one drake, I would tank Halfus to 12/13 stacks of MS, then switch. Pally bubbles DO remove the stacks. However, it worked better on the Pal only, because after switching, I'd be about ready to open the whelps. At low-mid teens of the MS stack, we had it timed well so I'd get whelps, first drake was dead, second incoming, pal would bubble off his current stacks and go from there. By the time the whelps were down, the 2nd drake was dead, and I would be taunting Hal back to me.

Repeat taunt swaps until dead.

The few key points though, to having Nether and Slate...

1) Don't tank both drakes. The healing debuff, tank switch, and Hal melee haste are just too much raw damage. In a few weeks, or months, sure, but not now.

2) Tank apart, so the tanks aren't also getting fireballed. The switches aren't often once you hunker down on the cooldowns.

3) Cooldowns. Don't use early. I had two unlinked trinkets to use and (glyphed to 40%) shield wall to use. Around 7/8 stacks, I would start rolling all of my CDs. Shield Block was very, very useful here (~45% block unbuffed). Using 3 or 4 CDs, I could extend the 7/8 stack out to 12-13 (14+ was nearly 90% healing debuff, and the healers said they had to spend way too much time healing me through the AE). Hal did feel to apply the MS debuff stacks slower once the first drake was downed, but that's totally anecdotal at this point. I haven't looked at my logs yet.

With those two drakes up, your cooldowns are MUCH more useful the more stacks of the MS debuff you have.

Once the second drake was down, the fight was just about stroking the dps meters.

Our main issue was the healing, and after the 5th or 6th try, something clicked and we we made huge progress. Tanking was simply managing the timing of switches, and positioning so the tanks intercepted whelps first when uncaged. Nether and Slate require a ton of healing.
    Last edited by Blarghe; 12-28-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Just because we didn't have a decent listing of the dragons + abilities on here yet.

All Dragons and the whelps:
    Releasing a dragon or the whelp cage applies a stack of Dragon's Vengeance to Halfus, increasing his damage taken by 50%.

Nether Scion:
    Having this dragon present activates Halfus's Frenzied Assault, which increases his attack speed by 100% (120% on heroic?).
    When the Nether Scion is released: It applies Nether Blindness to Halfus, reducing his chance to hit, attack speed, and damage done by 25%.

Orphaned Emerald Whelps:
    Having the whelps present activates the Proto-Behemoths Superheated Breath ability, which allows him to cast Scorching Breath. This is a raid wide aoe that must simply be healed through.
    When the whelps are released: Each whelp applies a stack of Atrophic Poison to the Proto-Behemoth, reducing the amount of damage its scorching breath does (Possibly it's fireball barrage also).

Slate Dragon:
    Having this dragon present activates Halfus's Malevolent Strikes, which is a stacking healing debuff applied on each successful melee swing. This requires a tank swap.
    When the Slate Dragon is released: It applies Stone Touch to Halfus, stunning him for 12 seconds every 35? seconds.

Storm Rider:
    Having this dragon present empowers Halfus to cast Shadow Nova. If this dragon isn't one of the dragons you have to fight, you don't have to worry about interrupts. However, if you it is one of the dragons you fight, then it should be the first dragon you release.
    When the Storm Rider is released: It applies Cyclone Winds to Halfus, making it humanly possible to interrupt his nova.

Time Warden:
    Having this dragon present activates the Proto-Behemoth's Fireball Barrage, which is handled by the video.
    When the Time Warden is released: It applies Time Dilation to the Proto-Behemoth, which allows you to move away from incoming fireballs.
    Note: The Proto-Behemoth has a single target fireball that is not affected in any way by this drake.
    Last edited by Gravy; 01-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

Our first night on this, we had Storm Rider, Slate, and Whelps.

We tried releasing 2 in various combos. We tried releasing one at a time. Storm Rider always first so we could interrupt. But nothing we did seemed to work. The amount of raid damage from the scorching breath, coupled with tank damage usually meant a wipe in 30 secs to a minute. We had 3 healers, and we had almost 40K hps in heals going out, but the damage seemed insurmountable. We even tried 3 tanks. No dice. Tanks were rotating to never take more than 4-5 stacks of the MS debuff, but at least one tank was always dead within 30 seconds (and not always the one on Halfus). I think our longest attempt going one at a time was maybe 1:45 before we suddenly lost both tanks and a healer almost simultaneously.

What are we missing? We have to be missing something. Granted, We're in mostly 346 gear, but this is the first boss, it has to be doable in that gear.
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 12-31-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: info added

We got the same combo as Disenchanted. The Proto-Behemoth does Fireball Barrage no matter which drakes you get, so spread out. We put 2 interrupters on Halfus and released the Storm Rider and the Whelps together. One tank tanked Halfus, and the other tanked the Drake and the Whelps.

DPS AoEd down the whelps first. This was important. The damage from the Storm Rider will not slow down until he dies but the whelps will die staggered with some dying very early. This made the damage on the drake tank manageable faster.

When the Halfus tank got 12+ stacks of the healing debuff the drake tank taunted off and our Holy pally BoPed the Halfus tank to drop his stacks. Then the Halfus tank taunted him right back before the drake tank received any stacks. This allowed time for Dps to kill the whelps so the drake tank could handle having Halfus' healing debuff.

Once the Whelps were dead, we killed the Storm Rider, and by then, the 2 interrupters had gotten Halfus down to 60%. We just burned him down and kept tank swapping for the debuff.

-Edited for fail grammar and clarity
    Last edited by Deathsvalor; 01-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    -My DK is a Healer

Got it tonight after only 2 attempts in a manner very similar to how Deathsvalor did it. But we cheated it a bit by having our DK go offspec tank for a third tank. Ignored slate, popped Timewarp and burned Halfus the instant Storm was dead (killed whelps first by dragging everything in a pile and AoEing like mad). I'm fairly certain a 3rd tank was overkill and we can do it easily with 2 tanks now.

Still unsure now why everybody was dropping so fast our first night of attempts after tonight. We didn't do it that much differently the other night.

10M Halfus

2 weeks ago we did halfus for the first time with slate, whelps, scion (2 Tanks, 3 Heals, 5 DPS). That came with relative ease once we released scion then slate then whelps (1 at a time). Maybe an hour or so of learning since no one had seen it...

This week we broke our faces on Slate, Storm, Whelps thursday night trying to use 2 tanks, 3 heals & 5 DPS. We would constantly lose a tank during the halfus debuff transitions (switching around 6-8 stacks).

We went back in last night and managed it in about 6 attempts.

Strategy and Setup:

3 Tanks:
    Feral - Halfus
    Warrior - Halfus
    Prot Pally - Drake/Whelps

3 Heals:
    Holy Pally
    Holy Priest
    Resto Druid

4 DPS:
    1 Mage
    1 Hunter
    1 Shadow Priest
    1 Rogue

Keeping the halfus tanks strictly on halfus never tanking a drake/whelps with a Debuff or halfus + Drake/whelps *really* made a difference. So much so that it almost trivialized the encounter completely. The warrior and I (feral) used our 10 second interupts on an every other basis and had relatively little issue with the shadow nova (aside from the odd tunnel visioning on the nova too much and not watching healing debuff stacks from halfus).

Initial Pull:

Feral + Warrior on halfus with Warrior tanking first and attempting to catch that first .5 second shadow nova cast (we never did). Prot Pally released the storm dragon, hunter released the whelps & Prot pally tanked whelps + Storm on top of halfus.

DPS Strategy above 50%:

First focus was on downing the storm rider (anyone with the ability to "cleave" off of halfus and onto the whelps/storm was encouraged to do so). Hero was used as soon as we felt the pull was stable. The second storm went down we had the hunter standing ready to release the slate dragon. Prot pally picked up the slate and by that time the whelps were either dead or very close to it. We finished off slate quickly & moved on to halfus

DPS Strategy Sub 50%:

During this phase halfus does furious roar (3 consecutive stuns). We had the mage blink and interrupt the nova he starts casting after that 3rd stun and it worked flawlessly.

Key points (listed in highest priority):
    • Tank Taunt & Interrupt Communication - Nova's going off would almost always get a tank killed just due to knock backs interrupting a healer. We had some leeway because of the fact that we had 3 tanks but it was really tight (our kill attempt we didnt lose anyone).

• Releasing Storm & Whelps at the same time - Storm is not an optional first release, without storm being released you cannot interrupt shadow nova. Whelps really were just a minor annoyance but they ease a ton of the raid healing requirement when they are released.

• Releasing slate as soon as the storm dragon was down - His 12 second stun on halfus is incredible. It allows for raid stabilization, tanks to get both of their interrupts off of CD, stops him from casting nova, and healer regen.

Question - is there any way to *reliably* avoid that first shadow nova? (when storm rider is doing is activation animation and not affecting halfus cast time yet..)
    Last edited by Tailsz; 01-04-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    [A]Laughing My Azeroth of Mannoroth is recruiting!!

Last night we managed 10 man halfus with storm, whelps, and slate. We had a good deal of trouble with this over the past week so I figure I'll post what we did in detail to help anyone who might have similar issues.

Group:
    prot warrior
    blood dk
    holy pally
    holy priest
    resto druid
    ele shaman
    demo lock
    ret pally
    shadow priest
    fire mage

We activated storm first (alone), popped hero, and burned storm with all dps on him save our ele shaman who was on halfus the whole time using 5 second cd windshear to do all the shadow nova interrupts. Our warrior tank was on halfus, dk on storm. Around 10ish stacks of the debuff on our warrior tank our holy pally bop'd him, warrior cleared it, and taunted back. When he reached 7 stacks our dk would taunt off of him.

Based on when the storm drake died, we would wait for a fresh taunt on halfus and have the tank who was free release the whelps. From this point we had a mix of aoe (our warlock/mage did some) and single target dps to bring the whelps down (ele was still on halfus for interrupts). Throughout this both of our tanks maintained a sort of spread threat on the whelps while continuing to trade halfus whenever one or the other's debuffs wore off.

Once the whelps were down everyone switched to halfus. We had a mage blink out of the third wave of the roar and he was able to counterspell the shadow nova every time, worked like a charm.

We wiped with this strat once after hitting the enrage timer and tried some variations but we eventually got our kill with a very smooth run of the strat above, with a good 10 seconds left on his enrage timer.
    Last edited by Kari; 01-04-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Not sure if this has now been shared with the wider community but it is something that saved my tank during Mortal Strikes - Have a Paladin use Hand of Protection on your main tank after the initial pull on Halfus.

I can keep my DK tank up until about 10 stacks of Mortal Strikes at which point I HoP him, he quickly clicks off the buff and taunts Halfus back before he starts smacking on any of the raid members.

This allows the off tank to tank the two drakes you opt to release first until their death before having to worry about tank switching on Halfus.

Did this last night on 25 and had the unfortunate combo of Nether, Slate and Time Warden and only two tanks, which put a lot of stress on our healers. We burned the drakes down one at a time (Nether, Slate then Time), saving Blood Lust for right after the Time Warden went down. Some things that helped:

- When the current drake was at 5% health a hunter would activate the next drake and Misdirect it to a tank
    - Pally healers used Hand of Sacrifice + Divine Shield to help tanks
    - Pally tanks can use Divine Shield + /cancelaura to drop stacks (The Paladin going from drake to Halfus would have both for a second)
    - Divine Guardian as a cooldown for the other tank

The two problem areas were dps pulling aggro on the tank swap and keeping tanks alive during the stun phase. He's untauntable at that point so we'd have the person who was second highest on threat run to the opposite side of the room to kite him.
    How does a PC gamer change a light bulb? He doesn't. He goes on the forums and QQs about it being dark.

Another Strat

We were able to down this on 10 man last week in a little over an hour worth of attempts. We had Storm, Slate and the whelps.

For the pull, we immediately released Storm and the whelps and they were picked up by our main tank (a warrior). Our off tank (DK) grabbed Halfus and started cooldowns around 8 or 9 stacks. Once Storm was at 15% or so the main tank taunted the boss. For the rest of the fight the tanks taunted off each other once their debuffs dropped.

We had everything stacked up together to maximize cleaves and make it easier for our enh shaman to DPS and interrupt the novas. We popped hero and burnt down the Storm drake first, encouraging the use of cleaves. We actually ended up getting the achievement because of all the incidental AOE (fire mage, unholy DK, enh shaman).

After the Storm drake and the whelps were down we didn't even bother releasing slate. We just focused on Halfus. For the nova after Furious Roar we had our mage blink out of the stun and counterspell. Once we had our strat tweaked and working, the kill came pretty easy. There's minimal damage sub-50% as long as you've got someone interrupting the nova.

Killed in a pug with Slate, Nether, and Time Warden. Even though it was my first time there, it seems to me that any combo with Slate, Time Warden, and either Nether or Storm Rider is the hardest before your tanks overgear it due to the simple fact that you have to delay releasing Time Warden.

Group makeup: Prot Paladin (me), Prot Warrior, Two Holy Paladins, Resto Shaman, Mage, SPriest, Warlock, Rogue, Fury Warrior

The pull: Everyone started near Nether with the warrior tank ready to release ASAP. I pulled the boss from 30 yards with DPlea+AW+Judgement and drank a swiftness potion. This gave me about 5-6 seconds before I got a single stack of the debuff. I tanked the boss around the middle of the room.

Bloodlust was blown as soon as Nether was attackable. I cycled through short cooldowns after about 7 stacks (two avoidance trinkets -> DProtection). Once Nether was down to about 10% I bubble macro'd to remove the debuff and released Time Warden. Once I hit 5ish stacks warrior taunted boss and I continued to tank Warden until he died. Around this point is where it just turns into a basic taunt rotation. I actually taunted the boss as soon as my debuff ran out while Warden was around 10%.

Pretty easy fight from here. It took us a couple wipes to realize that we could strafe/run forward between stun ticks to avoid fireballs and when we killed him he had frenzied at 2%. Pretty much a classic gear check. Mechanics-wise Valiona/Theralion is slightly more complex but overall I think Halfus is tougher. If you can beat him you can beat V/T.

Tonight we had Whelps, Storm and Time Warden dragons. We managed a comfortable kill with 45 secs left on the enrage timer on our 2nd try. Setup like this (10-man).

2 Tanks (Paladins)

3 Healers (Shaman, Druid, Holy Priest)

5 DPS (Enhancement Shaman, Fury Warrior, Mage, Shadow Priest, Warlock)

MT aggro boss and release/pick up whelps. OT pick up Storm Rider. Everything is stacked in the middle circle, remember that Melee DPS and Tanks cant stand too close to each other due to the Fireball Barrage but they should still stay reasonably tight so AoE heals can be as effective as possible.

All DPS except Enhancement Shaman on the Storm Rider, pop Heroism. Enhancement Shaman can interrupt Shadow Nova alone since interrupt is on 5 sec CD. Use cleaves, Nova totems/Fire Elemantal and residual AoE to take Whelp (and boss) health down while nuking Storm. As soon as Storm is down, AoE classes start AoE on whelps while single target DPS (in this case Warrior) go DPS on boss.

Meanwhile OT who is now free pick up Time Warden and pulls to the tanking spot. This means boss is now taking 150% extra damage and the ranged DPS and healers standing at range can dodge the now very slow fireballs with ease, leaving healers more time and mana for the tanks. Whelps die really fast since they are already damaged from cleaves, tank dmg and residual AoE while Storm Rider is being nuked down.

After whelps are down all DPS nuke the boss full out. Stunning roar (of which you can expect 4) was handled by the Mage blinking out of the last wave and counterspell which worked like a charm.

Key points: You cant really afford to miss out on interrupting a single Shadow Nova, so make sure you dont. Max out heals by having tanks and melee dps close enough to each other that chain/AoE heals covers all of them.

Ranged DPS and healers should be given fixed positions and only ever move when they get targeted by the Fireball Barrage. When that happens, they run forward or strafe to avoid most of the damage, then move back to their assigned positions. Make sure that everyone is within reach of every healer all the time - fixed positions.

Make good individual use of all your dmg reducing abilities and self heals, including healthstones and healing pots. Use Fire Aura/Totem.
    Last edited by Ogri; 01-09-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smcn View Post
    Killed in a pug with Slate, Nether, and Time Warden. Even though it was my first time there, it seems to me that any combo with Slate, Time Warden, and either Nether or Storm Rider is the hardest before your tanks overgear it due to the simple fact that you have to delay releasing Time Warden.

Group makeup: Prot Paladin (me), Prot Warrior, Two Holy Paladins, Resto Shaman, Mage, SPriest, Warlock, Rogue, Fury Warrior

The pull: Everyone started near Nether with the warrior tank ready to release ASAP. I pulled the boss from 30 yards with DPlea+AW+Judgement and drank a swiftness potion. This gave me about 5-6 seconds before I got a single stack of the debuff. I tanked the boss around the middle of the room.

Bloodlust was blown as soon as Nether was attackable. I cycled through short cooldowns after about 7 stacks (two avoidance trinkets -> DProtection). Once Nether was down to about 10% I bubble macro'd to remove the debuff and released Time Warden. Once I hit 5ish stacks warrior taunted boss and I continued to tank Warden until he died. Around this point is where it just turns into a basic taunt rotation. I actually taunted the boss as soon as my debuff ran out while Warden was around 10%.

Pretty easy fight from here. It took us a couple wipes to realize that we could strafe/run forward between stun ticks to avoid fireballs and when we killed him he had frenzied at 2%. Pretty much a classic gear check. Mechanics-wise Valiona/Theralion is slightly more complex but overall I think Halfus is tougher. If you can beat him you can beat V/T.
    Yeah we have the same combo this week and just had so much trouble with it. This may actually help us in the future. Thanks!
    You sir just got pwned

Tanks: Pally and Warrior (me)
    Healers: 2-3? i didnt pay attention

Drakes up: Slate, Nether, Time Warden

Started fight by pally taking the big guy and a hunter releasing the Nether and MD to me. All DPS was on the Nether. As stacks built up on the Pally he would pally bubble to remove all stacks and taunt back. This worked great.

When the Nether was down the hunter released the Slate and MDed to the Pally while I took the big guy.

All we did was each time the healing debuff fell off the other tank we swapped targets.

As the Slate went down we did the same thing with the Time Warden.

Was a fun fight

+ Reply to Thread