+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the Bastion of Twilight Raid Guide! My name is Aliena, and in this video I'll show you all you have to know about Halfus Wyrmbreaker, the first boss you'll encounter in this instance. We completed this fight with 2 tanks, 6 healers and 17 DPS, but similar raid compositions may work just as well. This encounter has a 6 minute enrage timer.

As soon as you walk up to Halfus' room, you'll notice several dragonkin around him that you can interact with. The available dragons change from week to week, and you'll need them to defeat Halfus, cause he doesn't fight alone. As soon as you pull him, a Proto-Behemoth will come to his aid. Halfus' and the drakes abilities change depending on which dragons you have available.

Storm Rider allows Halfus to cast Shadow Nova. Nether Scion gives Halfus a Frenzy. Slate Dragon gives him a long stun. Time Warden allows his Proto-Dragon to cast Fireballs. Whelps give the Proto-Drake a Fire Breath. Always enable all three drakes over the course of the encounter to counter these abilities and do additional dramage to Halfus, no matter which you have up.

Shadow Nova deals moderate damage and knocks every person in the raid back. Its cast is pretty much instant, but this is where the Storm Rider comes in. Releasing him from his cage will cause him to be mind-controlled by Halfus and attack your raid, but it will also make his Shadow Nova interruptable.

Releasing the Time Warden will also cause him to be mind-controlled and attack you, but it'll greatly slow down the speed of the Behemoth's fire balls which makes them easily avoidable, in turn making your raid take a lot less damage. Lastly, releasing the whelp cage will - yep, you guessed it - cause them to be mind-controlled and attack your raid, but will also reduce damage done to your raid from the boss & drakes.

So, what's the plan here? You should release the two most menacing dragons straight away - in our case Storm Rider and Time Warden - and have your tanks secure them. We had our main tank tank both Halfus and the Time Warden and our Offtank took care of the Storm Rider. Ranged DPS then took down the Storm Rider while melee DPS stayed on Halfus to interrupt Shadow Nova. It's a good idea to set up an interrupt chain if you have a Storm Rider.

When the first dragon died, we released our third pick, the whelp cage. There's no need to actively kill the whelps, they don't do much damage at all. Keep them in cleave range and they'll die eventually. At 50% Halfus gains another ability that he'll use every 30 seconds - Furious Roar.

Furious roar will execute 3 stuns in quick succession. You're able to move a little between each stun, but you're NOT able to use any abilities. You can and should move out of fireballs between stuns. Your tank should have a cooldown up before every furious roar or he's very likely to die during it. After the stuns, Halfus will immediately cast Shadow Nova which must be interrupted.

To do this, mages can blink the last tick of Furious Roar and counterspell or you can use things such as Hand of Protection and PVP trinkets. Set up a rotation and make sure to only break the third stun, if you do it earlier you'll just get stunned again.

It's a good idea to use Bloodlust after the dragons are dead but before you hit 50%, when all DPS are focusing on Halfus as that should give you the maximum amount of DPS on him. Until the gear level rises, you're likely to need it.

That's all the mechanics to this fight. I'll attach a video of the full encounter so you can see how we handled the various mechanics. As a note, when we defeated this encounter we were not yet aware that we cannot use cooldowns between Furious Roar ticks, so that resulted in multiple tank and some DPS deaths and ultimately almost cost us the fight here.

The enrage timer is somewhat harsh if your raid is still undergeared, but if you execute the encounter correctly, it's definitely doable. Good luck and have fun!

The whelps also reduce the damage from the Behemoth's fire breath if I'm not wrong. Also, your tank might off survive the roar without the whelps on him :P Stun + adds = lots of damage even if those adds usually don't do any worrysome amount of damage.

We did this on 10m during the last reset and had the Time Warden with the Storm Rider up (we didn't release the 3rd drake so I'm not sure on that one. But it weren't the whelps so I guess it was the Nether Scion) - Since all of the videos and guides from Beta seemed to have more or less the same drakes active it took us a long while to adapt our strategy and see for ourselves what's actually happening when and why.

Either way, keep up the good work, love it.

For the 10-man-version, is it possible for the Halfus-tank to tank an additional dragen (in your case, the Time Warden)? Or would the damage be too overwhelming? We tried the boss yesterday and barely managed to kill the Storm Rider (we had Storm Rider, Time Warden and Nether Scion active), because the fire damage from the Behemoth was just too much.
    (FYI, it was just a test raid to peek into the new raid instances, we managed to kill Argaloth though)

Great Guide btw, as always. Keep it up.

What beneficial ability does the Slate Dragon provide? One drake slows the fireballs, one increases cast time of shadow nova, and the Slate Dragon does...

For furious roar we actually had our ele shaman equip the meta gem that reduces stun duration by 10%, worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahdhiera View Post
    For the 10-man-version, is it possible for the Halfus-tank to tank an additional dragen (in your case, the Time Warden)? Or would the damage be too overwhelming? We tried the boss yesterday and barely managed to kill the Storm Rider (we had Storm Rider, Time Warden and Nether Scion active), because the fire damage from the Behemoth was just too much.
    (FYI, it was just a test raid to peek into the new raid instances, we managed to kill Argaloth though)

Great Guide btw, as always. Keep it up.
    We didn't get the time warden our attempts but I was also wondering if the strat is the same for 10 man. Have main tank take both boss and an add right off the pull?

In our 10 man we had the first drake on the left (I can't remember his name), the rider, and the whelp cage. What we ended up having to do was open both drakes at once and kill the left drake first. When the left drake died, it removed Halfus's frenzy effect, so we had to pop lust to get that down ASAP before my cooldowns as a feral ran out since I was on MT duty on the boss. Unfortunately, it took us a while to find out the best pull strat, and that was it. We wiped due to a healer dying just as the second drake died, but before the whelps, and trash respawned so we put it off until tonight to finish.

We also tried me tanking the boss plus the storm rider for a bit, but the damage was too much with Halfus's frenzy (+100% attack speed).

Did this tonight on 10m, and ended up downing him after like 7 or so wipes trying to figure out who to pull and how things went.

We had Nether Scion, Storm guy, and Whelps.

Two questions;

1) When we killed Storm dragon, Halfus retained his nova attack. Should killing a dragon remove that buff on Halfus? Conversely, when we killed Storm dragon, we didn't get a dmg buff on the boss at all. Also, releasing the whelps didn't seem to give us a buff against the fire breath from the Proto-drake. Is this normal?

2) At lower percents, he did not whirlwind at all, and just kept going on as normal. Is this normal too?

They retain their abilities, but they also retain the 'nerfs' to it. Shadow nova stays interruptable, fireballs are slower, etc. Killing the dragons just means you don't have to deal with them anymore. The whelps should decrease the damage of the fire breath.

There's no whirlwind in this fight anymore, it got replaced by Furious Roar. This is why we don't do beta guides. =P

On a side note, we are able to easily kill him every week with a somewhat cheesy strategy--We release everything at once, gather them together, set interrupts, and just burn through everything as quickly as possible. This has been tested on two different dragon combinations so far, and was equally effective against both.

Heroic may require a different strategy, but this was nothing that couldn't be solved by cooldown rotations on the tanks, heroism/bloodlust, and some aoe-happy DPS.

We killed it yesterday in 10 man with the Nether Scion, the Slate Dragon and the Storm Rider up.
    The Nether Scion gives frenzied assault to Halfus, which greatly increases his attack speed (I believe it's 100% increased). I don't remember if he gives any debuff to Halfus when released, except from increased damage taken and slower attack speed of course.
    The Slate Dragon gives a stackable mortal strike to Halfus (6% reduced healing for 30 seconds per stack). He periodically stuns Halfus when released and increases his damage taken, like every other drake.

We released the Nether Scion and the Storm Rider at the start - otherwise Halfus was stacking mortal strike too fast on the tanks. The first tank blew cooldowns while tanking Halfus + Storm Rider, the other tank got the Nether Scion, taunted Halfus at 8 stacks of mortal strike and then the tanks just taunted Halfus as soon as they no longer had the mortal strike debuff. Once the Nether Scion is released, a tank gets 6-7 stacks of mortal strike during the 30 seconds it takes to the other tank to lose his own mortal strike, which we found manageable in terms of healing.
    As the Time Warden wasn't active for us this week, we didn't have to dodge any fireballs, the proto-drake was only doing light raid damage which wasn't a concern at all. I don't even remember seeing a flame breath but I could be wrong.

I think we should have released the third drake, as the added damage on Halfus would have helped us (we killed it 10 seconds before enrage) - we'll have to try next week.

I guess this boss is all about releasing the drakes in the correct order and it would be interesting if people could post how they handle the different drakes combinations.

I have a question regarding the 10man version of this fight, we have nether, slate and storm active or at least we can activate them.. yesterday it wasnt possible for us to hold the tanks up, the healingdebuff stacks for 6% per stack, so after 10stacks 60% less received heal, after one tank take over halfus and the otherone the drake, the previous tank had 30sec to wait until debuff went off..

we have to take the stormdrake first just to interrupt the shadow nova, but it isnt possible.. halfus hits with 100% increased attackspeed and the healing debuff is stacking to fast and lasts to long on the tanks.. Our healers were a shaman, a paly and a druid, and i think they are quite capable.. we managed once to kill stormdragon, one tank died and got BR, but the healers were already OOM. Our idea, or lets say my idea is to have 3 Tanks, just to manage the lasting debuff on the tanks..

so back to question, do you have any other ideas?? i would appreciate it very much!
    thanks in advance, and sorry for my englisch

Sincerely
    from Germany Jarecv|EU-Ysera

edit: Thanks Leyrra, i will manage to kill Halfus this evenig thanks to your just 1minute earlier released post :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    They retain their abilities, but they also retain the 'nerfs' to it. Shadow nova stays interruptable, fireballs are slower, etc. Killing the dragons just means you don't have to deal with them anymore. The whelps should decrease the damage of the fire breath.

There's no whirlwind in this fight anymore, it got replaced by Furious Roar. This is why we don't do beta guides. =P
    Thanks for the info!

I didn't see any buff/debuff explaining that we did more damage either, and we got sort of confused on that aspect. We basically just summoned Storm, killed him, and had a shaman sit on him with interrupts. We left Nether dragon alone, since apparently we could deal with the frenzy just fine. Killed the whelps just with passive AE, and killed him with like 30-45 seconds left on Enrage.

Overall, it felt a bit too easy, once everyone understood exactly why we released dragons, and what happened when they died.

We did it yesterday with 10 man.The drake combination was indeed not as good as it was last week.Tactic was as followed:You let one tank taunt the boss and run to the back wall, perhaps using the pull or bubble from a priest to get him there without the boss hitting him. Meanwhile your other tank releases the Nether Scion. Whenever that dragon is active the debuff doesnt stack that fast and your tanks can have a tanking rotation (like first boss TOC, Impale )We pop BL and burn the Nether. We eat the shadownova bullshit with a couple of CDs on the tanks and fast dps. On 10% before the Nether dies, I (a shadowpriest) active the stormdrake. I can tank it for a few seconds with dispersion aswell so we get rid of the non interuptable shadownova. THen we just nuked him down.

It is a surprisingly hard fight in 10-man, unless you have a melee-heavy comp. With Slate, Nether, and Storm, our strat was to pull the boss and Storm at the same time, have a hunter pull Nether to lose the 100% attack speed bonus that stacks MS faster, and tank as follows:

Bear on boss, slow rolling cooldowns after 8 stacks, up to max.
    Pally on both drakes, using cooldowns as well.

DPS burning Storm. As soon as he's dead, Pally grabs Halfus, and I stay away for a few seconds, poping tranquility to help out on raid heals. When MS has only 5 secs left, I taunt Nether and Pally has blown all cooldowns to survive. Kill Nether, then burn Halfus down while switching tanks to deal with the MS.

All in all, a pretty hard fight, I must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantam View Post
    have a hunter pull Nether to lose the 100% attack speed bonus that stacks MS faster
    I would love to know what this means? We had the same combo tonight: Nether, Storm and Slate. We activated Nether and Storm so that we could kill Nether first to remove the 100% haste buff and Storm so that we could interupt the shadow nova.

However, the boss has 100% haste and mortal strike, and the tanks were literally gaining a stack of MS per second, within ten seconds they were almost unhealable, 15 seconds they were dead, regardless of cooldowns used.

Anyone who has beat this combination, I would love some (very detailed and clearly explained) tips on how to get this fight under control.

Just for clarification, He starts receiving debuffs when you release dragons, both damage done to him, and the aid from the dragons themselves. The dragons don't have to be killed to get either, just released.

Halfus receives 1 stack of Dragon's Vengeance (50% bonus damage to him) per dragon released. Stacks to 3 (3 dragons per week).

He also gets a -25% dmg/to hit/attack speed debuff when releasing the Nether Scion dragon. The whelps will apply a debuff to the Proto-drake, reducing his fire damage by some % (wowhead says -750 damage done?). Releasing the Slate dragon will apply a debuff to Halfus that stuns him for 12 seconds periodically.

You won't see these on the boss next to their normal debuffs (at least, I don't when using XPerl), they were amidst our raid debuffs. Caused confusion for us early on when attempting the boss.

great video aliena. i'm a new registered member after 2 years of always coming to this site and not signing up? lame. keep up the awesome work tankspot. i'll be commenting a lot in the near future.

I'd like to say that we downed him last night on out 8th pull? We had The Nether Scion, Whelps and The Slate Dragon. We started off only talking to Nether Scion and nuking him, while our main tank was on boss. Once we had Nether Scion down, we then had our off-tank from Nether Scion taunt the boss, since our MT was getting the healing debuff. Main tank then released the whelps. Once whelps were handled, our tanks would rotate tanking Wyrmbreaker and wait until their stacks wore off. We did not even bother releasing the Slate Dragon. We played this to our advantage since our DPS was the issue and not the healing. This worked like a charm.

would it be possible to do a vid of a kill without the stormdrake? cause im curious about how to handle the shadownova without it rly (we had that the first week and it absolutely destroyed us not being able to counter it.

Kill the stormdrake first System, once it is activated the nova's are interruptable. Assign an interrupt and kill the Storm drake first. If you are in better gear, then release the storm and Scion (if you have it) at the same time and kill the scion then the storm.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

+ Reply to Thread