+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Restoration] Spiritual Guidance through the Cataclysm

The Backstory
    I spent yesterday reading all the posts on Resto Shammies and then tweaked my talents and Healbot configuration to follow along with WarTotem's advice. Let's just say I was amazed at the difference. For baseline use, my resto iLevel is 337. I also don't have all the enchants and gems that I need as I'm only applying those to gear that I'll keep for awhile.

My guild mates have always considered me a good healer, but in Cata I was always OOM in fights where CC wasn't used (pugs) and during boss fights. For fights where CC was used (guild) I was still at about 35% mana at the end. This means I always had to sit and drink after every fight.

After making the changes WarTotem talks about, I did a pug Grim Batol. Our group consisted of a Prot Warrior, Feral Druid, Ret Pally, Hunter (didn't catch spec), and my Resto Shammy. The druid and pally must've been lazy as they opted not to provide any buffs. The tank tossed out Commanding Shout on occassion. The tank had a 5500 Player Score. I include this info because the results of the changes I made where stupendous and I wasn't even fully buffed in a 5-man and our tank wasn't that well geared. I estimate that my heals would have gone up another 10-15% had all buffs been applied. It's pertinent to add that the only CC that was used was from the hunter who trapped and slept a few mobs along the way. I tried to Hex/Bind a few, but the tank always broke by CC.

First, throughout the entire instance I NEVER went below 70% mana on non-boss pulls. I believe that with proper CC, I would've seen even less mana usage on mob pulls. On bosses, I dipped below 50% only twice. I did not use my Mana Tide totem during any fight since I was testing my mana consumption/regeneration.

Tweaked Talents/Glyphs
    Here are the changes that I made (take look at the Armory for full spec at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary):

Removed
    Ancestral Resolve (2) - Just move away from damage and start casting (a movement speed enchant on boots is helpful here)

Telluric Currents - I've believe that slowing incoming damage with an Earth Shock is a much better use of mana (used exclusively on tank's target). I also like to Frost Shock mobs that are moving away from the tank due to incidental aggro spikes.

Blessing of the Eternals - If they're below 35% they're going to get a RT (if available) and GHW. Tanks below 35% get Earth Shock/Unleash Elements/Greater Healing Wave combo. Keep in mind that your Deep Healing abilities genereate more heals as your target's health percentage decreases.

Added/Included in Previous Build

Focused Insight (3) - This is great for tank healing when used in sequence Earth Shock/Unleash Elements/Greater Healing Wave

Improved Shields (3) - More mana regen and more heals from Earth Shield

Elemental Weapons (2) - Increases Earthliving and UE effects

Totemic Reach (2) - If they reach further then you don't have to drop so many. I usually drop totems between current mob and upcoming pull so that I only have to drop them once.

Acuity (3) - Increased critical strike means bigger heals

Totemic Focus (2) - Increase duration and decreased mana cost of totems.

Cleansing Waters (2) - Removes harmful effects (i.e. you don't have to heal them), reduces cost of Cleanse, and provides a nice little heal.

I'm planning to remove my Major Glyph of Chain Heal to add Glyph of Healing Stream Totem to increas my passive healing throughput. I'll comment on that tomorrow after a run an instance or two tonight.

The Combo
    You've seen me mention this combo twice: Earth Shock/Unleash Elements/Greater Healing Wave. It doesn't have to be Earth Shock as Frost and Fire work just as well, it's just my preference. This combo grants +30% (Shock) and +20% (Unleash Elements) bonus to your next direct heal. Mathematically, I'm not sure how they're applied. It could be a straight +50% or it could be a +56% (the 20% is applied after the 30%). For simplicity's sake, we'll stick with the straight 50%. If this combo is applied to the tank who should have Earth Shield, you add another 15% for a total of 65% buff. Plus, if the tank is low on health, you'll get a bigger increase from the Deep Healing Mastery Talent.

During the Grim Batol instance above, this combo generated 32-35k non-crit heals with crits in the mid-50's. On one occassion, the tank was at 52% health and I cast this combo and overhealed him!!! That's 52% to 100% with a 3 button combo. As a side note, I never cast Unleashed Elements unless it's followed by GHW.

Damage Reduction
    My belief is that damage mitigation is better than healing damage. I use Earth Shock as one of my primary damage reduction tools. I use it almost exclusively on the tank's target to slow the mob's attack time by 20%. Also, if there's a caster, don't forget to use Wind Shear and Grounding Totem to further decrease incoming damage.

Since the Blizz developers where so nice as to make Hex and Bind Elemental usable in almost all Cata instances, I use them to both protect my tank and intercept mobs chasing my ranged compatriots.

Wookie's Wules of Westo
    1. Only use Healing Surge if you're in deep. This spell is not your mana pool's friend.

2. Only use Healing Wave (it heals you too and free heals are great heals) and Riptide until you need "The Combo".

3. If you don't know the fight NEVER use Healing Rain as you could end up wasting a bunch of mana.

4. Only use Chain Heal if you are sure you can hit 3 people.

5. If you learn nothing else, learn the abilities of the different types of tanks. Seriously. Learn them. I'm not kidding.

6. Unless it's life-or-death, only use Riptide to heal DPS. OK, you can sprinkle in a Healing Wave so it can heal you too.

7. Pay attention to group dynamics. Heavy melee means you can use AOE heals more effectively. More ranged means no AOE heals.

8. Drop Mana Tide Totem early as you may get to use it twice in one fight (if necessary).

9. Do NOT spam heals. Ever. Conserve your mana and use it wisely.

10. Read 1-9 again. And again.

Kudos
    Many Kudos to WarTotem whose research and guide made my heals more successful! I'd give you a hug, but I'm worried that's not a totem in your pocket

stick!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I was planning to test "The Combo" tonight using HS instead of GHW to see what the difference in consumption and heal output would be. In the past I've found that using HS really eats through my mana pool, but I like to keep an open mind. I suppose I should've supplied the caveat that the information I provided was for those having mana issues. When you try to stay generic, you lose the specificity.

As for talent choices, I understand there's a lot of people who like Telluric Currents for mana regen. I prefer Focused Insight for it's damage reduction and heal % boost. I believe this to be similar to the haste vs. crit discussion. Some like it one way, some like it the other. My preference is crit, but that's only because of my play style. I stay very involved with damage mitigation (shammies have lots of it) so when I need to heal, I want it to be big. As long as you like chocolate ice cream, we'll get along just fine

If you like both Telluric Currents and Focused Insight, then drop Totemic Reach (see my build). You'll lose the totem range, but you'll get to pew pew

Almost forgot, I dropped a pre-heroic gear list over in the gear forum at http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...585#post483585. By no means is it the end-all-be-all list, but it'll help new resto shammies get started.
    Last edited by WickedWookie; 01-06-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot the gear list

I'm working on healing styles etc, but between faulty tooltips (FI does NOT work on all spells!!) and our new spells being ... harder to fit into our toolkit, I'm being careful with assuming or dismissing things. Basicly, it feels a bit like writing a guide for a spec I never played, which is why I'm updating slower than I'ld like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Question regarding UE used with RT. I use UE any and every time its off cd, usually before casting RT or GHW, HS if urgent.

When UE used with RT, the initial hit it usually between 7-10k. Does the UE benefit continue with each tick of RT? Or just first?

the "combo"

I'm going to note that WickedWookie is wrong about the effectiveness of using UL+GHW combo.

As long as tidal waves is up, the extra crit on HS will yield far better results using it after a UL. You get way better HPS, a better chance to proc AF, the AA smart heal (which is the best kind of heal), and have better regen via IWS.

GHW is the worst healing tool we have, not to say you shouldn't ever use it but most of the time it should be avoided. The best use for it is tied to a NS macro.

Now this "combo" may work well for individuals or specific groups, but it is not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by kahlina View Post
    Question regarding UE used with RT. I use UE any and every time its off cd, usually before casting RT or GHW, HS if urgent.

When UE used with RT, the initial hit it usually between 7-10k. Does the UE benefit continue with each tick of RT? Or just first?
    I believe it affects the entire HoT

Quote Originally Posted by kahlina View Post

UE affects the entire heal, this includes the Riptide HoT.

It does not work on:
    Chain Heal
    Earth Shield
    Healing Stream Totem
    anything else that is not a direct casted heal
    Last edited by Airowird; 01-12-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Fixed to update Healing Rain

I ran a couple of instances last night utilizing Earth Shock/Unleash Elements/Healing Surge combo as oppose to GHW. I have to say I didn't see much difference (the initial heals were a just a smidge smaller) with non-crits healing for 30-33k and crits healing for 50-52k (I did see one 56k heal). Granted, I'm only spec'd into 2 points of Tidal Waves so the crit didn't seem to proc very often. With the addition of the Ancestral Awakenings effect, I got an additional 15-15.6k in heals. And of course if you get AA, you get the 10% damage reduction from Ancestral Healing.

Tonight, I plan to respec to Acuity (2) and Tidal Waves (3) and run the Riptide/Earth Shock/Unleash Elements/Healing Surge combo.

In respect to the incorrect tooltips mentioned by WarTotem, I was wondering about the effect of Totemic Reach on the Mana Tide Totem. My tooltip says the range is increased, but I haven't confirmed that it actually is. Has anyone tested this to confirm/deny?

As far as I can tell, this talent seems to work on EVERY totem, even works on Totem of Wrath from Elemental Shamans (yay 130y SP buff!)

Keeping an eye out for PTR, in case anything needs changing.

Also working on one of my famous spreadsheets to show stat values per spell (damn, glad I got some experience with the prot war one!), which I will add/create a thread for once I'm satisfied with it's numbers.

Great guide, but note that Healing Rain is in fact affected by Mastery. You can see this by testing Healing Rain ticks at very low hp levels and at very high hp levels. Chain heal is affected by Mastery only if it hits one target. I am not certain if this is a bug, but it would definately be worth testing again after 4.0.6 is released.

You're right, HR does seem to be affected by Mastery (although it shouldn't, as far as tooltips & mechanics go, assuming that they consider HR an AoE heal ofc)
    CH seems to work while casting on myself, but the question would be:
    * If CH heals 2 people, does the first person still get the healing increase?
    * If CH gains mastery from the first, does it scale on jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    * If CH heals 2 people, does the first person still get the healing increase?
    * If CH gains mastery from the first, does it scale on jumps?
    Based on my testing, sadly no. Basically if chain heal hits 2 or more targets, it's as if mastery didn't exist (even for the first target). However, if chain heal only hits 1 target, the heal is modified by mastery.

Then realisticly, Mastery doesn't work on CH, because you'll rarely ever use CH single-target (less HPS than HW for only ~3x the cost)

Updated the guide with the new information & changes from PTR
    Unless Blizzard decides to change more Shaman spells, this should now be 4.0.6-compliant
    Last edited by Airowird; 01-12-2011 at 07:12 AM.

I found the most effective way to save mana and keep the group healed is use group cc to fullest on every pullcan and interrupt what casts may come, a handy marking addon and explaining the difference in color of the mark/class exp: moon=mage-sheep

@ wicked wookie, the debuff earthshock puts on the mob / boss doesnt stack with thunderclap or any other misc effects all tanks have that slow down attack speed, and most of the tank abilities are aoe, In a raid setting casting a shock is a waste of a gcd, and a waste of mana, if it reduced the cast of the spell by a % of the spell ur casting i'd use it, but it just reduces it by the % of the shocks cost. and not worth it to me.

Healing Macros

Some of the things required of Shamans now, more than in WoLK is cc's. I don't know about anyone else, but trying to heal AND cc is a royal pain in the butt. A guildie helped me make these macros and they are life savers.. The O Crap button has healed for 90k on a crit! When it crits, it works like a paladin lay on hands. You have to spam it a few times for each line to work, but it works.

My O CRAP button **Please note....YOUR trinket goes in the /use line, or you can remove it all together. Must have a USE feature.

#showtooltip Healing Wave
    /use Figurine - Jeweled Serpent
    /castsequence Nature's Swiftness, Riptide
    /stopcast
    /castsequence Unleash Elements, Greater Healing Wave

Interrupt the mob without changing targets
    #showtooltip Wind Shear
    /cast Wind Shear: [target=targettarget] Wind Shear

Mana Regen with LB without changing targets

#showtooltip Lightning Bolt
    /cast Lightning Bolt: [target=targettarget] Lightning Bolt

Focused Insight *any shock spell will work

#showtooltip Earth Shock
    /cast Flame Shock: [target=targettarget] Earth Shock

This is my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...risaani/simple

I stack crit and works very well for me.

can anyone tell me the theory behind the paragon healers new resto spec's from what i can gather its heavy crit / mastery focus
    but if anyone can maybe help me out by explaining the method to the madness

Topping healmeters on Chimaeron.. jk.

Helps for huge burst like Maloriak red phase, Al'Akir phase 1 etc. There are a lot of computations flying around, eg on EJ. At roughly 50% hp both giving the same hps increase. Less hp? Mastery is better. More hp? Haste really shines. And you should consider that a lot of your healing (~ a third) won't get any benefits from mastery at all.

+ Reply to Thread