+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help need

Help need

i've almost reach 85 i ran a dungeon yesterday and someone kept on talk about cc" i know that it's "crown control" but not sure what the mean for dps and me as a tank any help would be helpful

Crowd Control generally refers to something that keeps an enemy unit from doing anything. This means Polymorph, Shackle, Sap, Fear, Seduce, Repentance, Turn Undead, Cyclone, Banish, Sleep, Wyvern Sting, Freezing Trap, among others. Usually the leader will place a target mark on the head of the enemy and tell you that a particular symbol is for your type of CC, and you should use your CC ability on that target when combat begins.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

thanks for the info, so when i tank should i not use TC, SW, will that mess up the cc the leader is trying to do?

Generally speaking, if a CCed target sustains any damage, the CC breaks.

So use your shockwave, thunderclap, cleave and talented revenge with care.

I normally tag the mobs im supposed to tank and drag them a few yards away from the CCed mobs. That way I can still use TC, SW, Revenge etc without the risk of breaking a CC. There is also cases were this isnt possible, then you have to be extra careful.
    I dont make threats...I make promises~!

One thing to note. Some CC's are out of combat (Rogues Sap). If the mob is pulled prior to the sap, the rogue will be unable to Sap due to the target now being in combat.

this is where tanking becomes fun again

1) knowing the classes you have with you so that you know what CC you can use on what mob
    2) having to maneuver mobs again - as a pally tank, learning where to place consecrates so that it doesn't break CC or moving mobs so that dps doesnt break CC with their AOEs - i would imagine the same for druid with swipes/thrash, warriors with TC/shockwaves, dks with DnD/whatever aoe they have
    3) having to prioritize mob kills again
    4) LOS pulls
    5) watching dumb dps die when they don't target the marked priority target when you don't taunt the mob off them ^_^

What I've usually seen done to avoid accidentally breaking CC, is for everyone to stand back a ways, the people who are doing CC step up, do their thing, then run behind the tank, and the tank picks up what wasn't CC'd. We call it a "sheep pull" (in my guild, anyway).

There's a few other ways to do it which work better in certain circumstances, like a LoS (line-of-sight) pull, where everyone hides around a corner, the tank tags a mob and runs back around the corner. The players doing CC pop out and CC their targets and then go LoS again. Tank picks up what's left as it barrels around the corner.

LoS pulls are usually the easiest to do, and are great for rounding up mobs that are ranged attackers (like casters), but of course, require a convenient obstacle like a bend in a hallway to hide behind.

THANK YOU ALL for your help

When learning cata tanking it will take some time, common sense and knowledge of the game as a whole to get used to and learn how to properly pull and use cc's. A good general rule of thumb would be to try and have the mobs you are currently tanking at least 15 yards away from cc'ed mobs and about 20-30 yards away from unpulled mobs. Also a silenced caster will always try to move into melee range to try and melee you while silenced and they general stay there once the silence wears off.

+ Reply to Thread