+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gemming decision

Gemming decision

hello tank spot community, i was wondering what people were deciding to gem in cata.

I originally thought that i was gonna be stam stacking with all blue gems but after actually
    gearing up and looking at the socket bonuses of some of my gear im thinking about changing to use hybrid gems

any one else experience this?

I'm not geared up yet but i'll use stam gems for blues, and hybrid stam gems for other slots assuming the socket bonuses are worth it and to activate any meta requirements we may have for the meta gem, otherwise stam all the way just as before until otherwise proven wrong.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Gemming decision

Im gonna make a mix of mastery and stamina gems, seeing they both inprove my blood shield and death strike. But at this point its stil to early to say one is better then they other.

yea i was thinking the same... blue is tam hybrids for the others and only if the bonus is worth it

thanks for your replies guys

I'm leaning toward Stam and Mastery on my DK; haven't thought about the Pally yet. Have to see how threat is, hit and expertise are in the crapper on the lower level gear; but if it's like it used to be and threat is not an issue then it's Stam/Mastery for me on the DK.

As far as gemming goes, for a bear we're concentrating on two separate schools of thought for gemming.

The first is the stam stacking which took place in LK with the idea that more stam = more vengeance = more ap = higher SD absorbs.

The second school of thought contends that avoiding more hits will save more casts from the healers and thus gemming agility/stam/mastery appropriately in the sockets for the good agi and mastery bonuses. Even doing this also increases the absorbs of SD because 1 agi = 2 ap for feral druids. It is actually more effective to stack the amount absorbed from SD using agility instead of Stamina. However doing that you don't increase your health pool.

Doing either of these right now, hell, even stacking straight agi, won't put you in the wrong as a bear. You can get away with all of these thoughts right now with none of them pulling ahead from the others in any conclusive way yet.

However, if stamina was marginally better, right now I would still be doing agility/stam/mastery as I'm often bear and kitty in the same fight(argalot, halfus) and every little bit of dps helps.

It probably varies with the content you are doing. But my hunch is that for 5-mans, going for mastery and avoidance is better than stamina. In wotlk raids, tanks could get two shotted and healers had endless mana, so a big health pool was optimal. In Cata 5-mans, tanks seldom get two shotted but healers are struggling for mana.

As a palatank, I've gemmed for stamina in blue/prismatic and mixed stamina in others out of wotlk habit, but may prioritise mastery in future.

Threat seems an absolute non-issue - I tend to WoG rather than ShoR. And I think I may start using Seal of Insight. The only time I had a dps riding close to me on threat was when I forgot to apply Righteous Fury after a wipe.

yea i play a warrior tank and just recently got promoted to MT but i have to agree that the WotLK way of gemming is history.... my friend summed it up pretty well by saying that healer mana is the new enrage timer. Saying that ive decided that stam is going in every blue and prismatic slot... mastery and stam in yellow... and as of right now expertise stam in red but as i gear up more and more i find that expertise isnt a problem so it probably will become dodge stam and if i get too much more dodge than parry i plan on reforging some to get them back to equal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamiarm View Post
    yea i play a warrior tank and just recently got promoted to MT but i have to agree that the WotLK way of gemming is history.... my friend summed it up pretty well by saying that healer mana is the new enrage timer. Saying that ive decided that stam is going in every blue and prismatic slot... mastery and stam in yellow... and as of right now expertise stam in red but as i gear up more and more i find that expertise isnt a problem so it probably will become dodge stam and if i get too much more dodge than parry i plan on reforging some to get them back to equal levels.
    Dodge is yellow now.
    So to replace those Expertise/Stam would be Parry/Stam.

I am druid tank and at this time i focus on stam and mastery gems to get the socket bonus (most of the time agi).
    I also reforge haste/crit into mastery but i saw a fellow druid tank on my realm that gems mastery and a litlebit stam and reforges only dodge.
    I am still experimenting and not totaly sure what combo works best.
    Any ideas?

DK Tank
    I'm doing Mastery as much as possible. I just saw a tankspot video where the tank had less health than I do in 5 man's in his 25 man raid and was able to do the encounter pretty easily, so that's part of what I'm basing the idea of working on Mastery and to a lesser extent parry/dodge, though I'm also spreading the wealth to hit/expertise as well since I have been relying on Death Strikes to get me out of trouble and to have one of those misses can delay a big chunk of mitigation on me at a bad time( but threat hasn't been an issue at all yet )

I currently have a much higher parry than dodge rating so I'm going to reforge parry -> dodge on pieces that don't already have dodge to try and increase my overall avoidance.

I think my split currently is 1400 parry 1000 dodge, for diminishing returns if I can get those close to 1200 of each I should get more bang for my buck.

Blue: 60/101 stamina
    Prismatic: 60/101 stamina or 40/67 mastery
    Yellow: 30 Stamina+23 mastery
    Red: 30 stamina + 23 parry

Might reprioritise the JC gems to mastery if they mean knocking another few percentage points off the hit table. When my trinket (which is reforged for about 100 mastery rating) proccs I am pretty much block capped, maybe I should make that actually happen as I then have 40% reduction on melee attacks for 20 seconds about every 120 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread