+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Magmaw

First time I've posted on here hope I'm doing this right. My guild did this 10-man we had a pally just tank the adds and a dps help him burn them down and it worked great we didn't have issues with that part of the fight. Our biggest issues was whenever he did his mangle on the tank he would hit our top dps (rogue) or our top heals (my resto Druid) for 120-140k melee hit. What are we doing wrong? It was very annoying that we weren't having any issues with any ability but his random melee hits. Neither myself or the rogue pulled threat at anytime during the fight. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

He resets/reduces the main tanks threat whilst nom noming on mouth phase.

The top Dps will always take a hit unless you use another tank to taunt when your in the mouth. I'm sure there are more elequant ways of doing it like having a holy pally taunt and stay out of melee range, but as we have not tried heroic yet we are jsut letting a dps die/CR each expose phase - sometimes they dodge -its a bit of a lottery!

Make sure your MT taunts as soon as Magmaw reverts to normal after an exposed phase.

Also we have had hunters pets take the hit sometimes by having them taunt when the main tank is being chewed - if you do this and give your main dps hands of salvation during the exposed phase this could be a reliable method of keeping the dps alive and not requiring a 2nd tank.

It would be interesting to hear how people deal with this on heroic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Changer View Post
    He resets/reduces the main tanks threat whilst nom noming on mouth phase.

The top Dps will always take a hit unless you use another tank to taunt when your in the mouth. I'm sure there are more elequant ways of doing it like having a holy pally taunt and stay out of melee range, but as we have not tried heroic yet we are jsut letting a dps die/CR each expose phase - sometimes they dodge -its a bit of a lottery!

Make sure your MT taunts as soon as Magmaw reverts to normal after an exposed phase.

Also we have had hunters pets take the hit sometimes by having them taunt when the main tank is being chewed - if you do this and give your main dps hands of salvation during the exposed phase this could be a reliable method of keeping the dps alive and not requiring a 2nd tank.

It would be interesting to hear how people deal with this on heroic mode.
    My guild has downed magmaw 4 times so far and 3 times without anyone taking a melee hit during mangle. The only time I've seen anyone take a giant hit is our kitty who is uber pressed to get at magmaw's back so stands right next to that wall, when he lifts his head up our cat will either predicatbly die or gtfo and not take a hit. The other melee are still right there(more off to magmaw's side next to the spike) and do not have this same issue. Also helps to note that we only have our 3 melee in the melee pile(what a shock) the ranged and healers are all at range dodging flame pillars, pew pewing adds, and such so I guess the cat can better see whats going on.

Tldr
    Your standing in the wrong spot stand next to the spike

Surely that really depends on if the boss parrys attacks from the side/front - the cat is attacking from behind for Shred, but my warrior who normally dies as well is probably standing behind to negate parry (i'll check my WoL to see if i get parried tanking him).

I do tank as far tot he right as i can go without falling off in an attempt to turn the worm.

Edit:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../?s=707&e=1030

I was tanking on my alt paladin that night - it appears no-one got parried on that fight, there were just misses from dual wielders, and the odd parry by people (presumably hitting/cleaving the parasites).

You can see in the log a few people dying to Magmaw melee at various points in the fight (e.g. Nemos - the warrior) Although in Nemus case it appears i taunted slowly as he took 2 hits in 3 secs. The shaman Shambulance got 1 shot tho
    Last edited by Changer; 02-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.

We use a different strat than what is used in this video.

First we have all the dps and healers stand on the edge to the left of magmaw while the MT stands on the right side ledge directly in front of him, then we have myself (DK Tank using PvP Frost spec in BLOOD PRESENCE <--- very important to keep aggro and control mobs) stand out in the middle to draw the pillars.

The fights starts and as the first pillar spawns on me I move out of it, drop D&D and wait for ALL the adds to spawn (to maximize howling blast dps). Once all the adds are up I just smack HB as much as I can, throwing in Blood Boil for a lil extra damage whenever possible. The Howling blast/D&D/Blood Boil keeps the adds aggro'd to me the whole time and HB keeps the slowed and therefore easy to control. Once the adds are slowed/aggro'd I really just run around in a circle while we AOE the down.

As for the rest of the fight, Magmaws head comes down, 2 melee jump on, dps head, when the head goes up all dps stops and they step back slightly from the ledge so he aggro's back to tank (that is important) then we rinse repeat.

The only other thing to remember is big heals on the tank when he's mangle'd and avoid the steam and reset once it's done.

This strat obviously only works if you have a capable DK, but it's got Magmaw on Ezmode for us and I believe it could do the same for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Broot View Post

First we have all the dps and healers stand on the edge to the left of magmaw while the MT stands on the right side ledge directly in front of him, then we have myself (DK Tank using PvP Frost spec in BLOOD PRESENCE <--- very important to keep aggro and control mobs) stand out in the middle to draw the pillars.

The fights starts and as the first pillar spawns on me I move out of it, drop D&D and wait for ALL the adds to spawn (to maximize howling blast dps). Once all the adds are up I just smack HB as much as I can, throwing in Blood Boil for a lil extra damage whenever possible. The Howling blast/D&D/Blood Boil keeps the adds aggro'd to me the whole time and HB keeps the slowed and therefore easy to control. Once the adds are slowed/aggro'd I really just run around in a circle while we AOE the down.

As for the rest of the fight, Magmaws head comes down, 2 melee jump on, dps head, when the head goes up all dps stops and they step back slightly from the ledge so he aggro's back to tank (that is important) then we rinse repeat.

The only other thing to remember is big heals on the tank when he's mangle'd and avoid the steam and reset once it's done.

This strat obviously only works if you have a capable DK, but it's got Magmaw on Ezmode for us and I believe it could do the same for others.
    We did that one night. Unfortunately our ranged dps had serious problems with staying in melee range for some unknown reason, so we were having pillars spawn on the melee group. Ugh. When we started putting the ranged out at ranged again to deal with the pillars, and had our DK go back to melee dps again, the problems went away. I guess you just gotta know the strengths and weaknesses of your own raid group.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    We did that one night. Unfortunately our ranged dps had serious problems with staying in melee range for some unknown reason, so we were having pillars spawn on the melee group. Ugh. When we started putting the ranged out at ranged again to deal with the pillars, and had our DK go back to melee dps again, the problems went away. I guess you just gotta know the strengths and weaknesses of your own raid group.
    Having a pillar spawn on melee is not the end of the world. Just drop a DnD on top of them and do not slow/snare them untill they are away from the group. If they get slowed they will start attacking/infecting anyone near them regardless of aggro and that is where you will run into problems. The only reason I know this is because my raid tends to fail at staying in melee sometimes while I am kiting.
    -My DK is a Healer

Question: if you have a hunter at range, and pet on passive, can you misdirect to your pet and set the parasites onto your pet without it spawning more adds?

I'm thinking parking my pet at range like a guard dog, and misdirecting the parasites to my turtle and using my pet to 'tank' the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    Question: if you have a hunter at range, and pet on passive, can you misdirect to your pet and set the parasites onto your pet without it spawning more adds?

I'm thinking parking my pet at range like a guard dog, and misdirecting the parasites to my turtle and using my pet to 'tank' the adds.

Pets can't be infected with the parasites (tell that to your vet). Pets can have aggro from the parasites. Your pet is a valid target for Misdirect.

Everything required to work will work. Not saying it is a viable method though. One of the key differences between kiting and tanking, is tanking takes damage. If you simply kite the adds you're not taking any damage from them.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

The way i've seen it done is. keeping 3 groups. Tank in one mele ranged in one and a surv hunter speced into entrapment out in space absorbing the flame pillar. The hunter takes about 2 steps drops frost then snake trap. Gets back to main group and fires multi-shot. The multi-shot adds ss dot and the entrapment gives 8 total seconds of no move adds. That really helps with them going down fast. We also use a frost dk or frost mage to really help it out.

The issue with him smacking someone is hurtful to remedy. The way we did it was to use a disc priest and have them do the group bubble right before to help keep the weaker alive.

Let me know if you see a flaw in that.

Thanks

Misdirecting to a pet is completely viable. I'm not sure if that's how we still do it, but it's the method we used on our first kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Pets can't be infected with the parasites (tell that to your vet). Pets can have aggro from the parasites. Your pet is a valid target for Misdirect.

Everything required to work will work. Not saying it is a viable method though. One of the key differences between kiting and tanking, is tanking takes damage. If you simply kite the adds you're not taking any damage from them.
    I was thinking of trying my BM/soloing spec, maybe even swapping into the two piece T5 for the pet healing bonus. Might be worth a shot. I've generally been kiting them around ok besides a couple of bad attempts. At the moment it feels like our raid DPS as a whole is more of an issue. 60-65K seems to be a little on the low side to me, particularly given that a majority of the raid (and melee in particular) hardly need to move. I know there's a 'learning the fight' window, but in general I'd say the numbers should be there after 3-4 attempts. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Broot View Post

Nothing new. Was discussed 3 pages ago.

ok stupid question is this the 10 man or 25 or is it just what the boss needs to down him?

the day i was killed by a worm

i got magmaw to 3.4m health the other day. we had everyone stacked in with the melee and a frost tank out in the middle not dpsing but kiting the adds from the pillar while the rdps me another mage and a hunter were slowing/freezeing the adds. during phase two we had the dk come in for the extra dps but that was all he did. we had a healing setup containing 1druid 1shaman and 1priest (10man) we were doing fine healers were all above 50% mana when we hit 10m and idk why but they all died between 10m and 7m unfortunitly our palliden tank couldnt bubble and the lightwell was gone so we only got him to 3.4m

Quote Originally Posted by highmana View Post
    i got magmaw to 3.4m health the other day. we had everyone stacked in with the melee and a frost tank out in the middle not dpsing but kiting the adds from the pillar while the rdps me another mage and a hunter were slowing/freezeing the adds. during phase two we had the dk come in for the extra dps but that was all he did. we had a healing setup containing 1druid 1shaman and 1priest (10man) we were doing fine healers were all above 50% mana when we hit 10m and idk why but they all died between 10m and 7m unfortunitly our palliden tank couldnt bubble and the lightwell was gone so we only got him to 3.4m
    My guess is the health of your healers reached 0.

Sorry, I can't provide any divine insight as to what happened. You should view death logs in game with a tool such as Recount or in the combat logs on a tool such as World of Logs to determine how people died. Naturally, if all your healers are dead, you're not very likely to kill the boss. Tools like this are essential for raid leading.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

My guild and I are using the Strategy where everybody stacks and we keep a hunter out away from Magmaw and we get Pillar of Flames to spawn on him.

Everything is going well with this strat but, when Magmaw is down and we are burning, we don't know exactly when to move back before he lifts his head back up.

We seem to get one person swiped and killed everytime during that phase.

Would somebody mind explaining when to move back?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    Would somebody mind explaining when to move back?
    Two words for you.
    Boss Mods

You have a timer bar telling you how long the exposed head phase will last, when it's about to end, that's when.

We downed him last night, I tanked the adds in Blood spec/Blood Presence without any real issues once I got the hang of the angles to move them at; hunters put down frost traps, but once range learned to clear out of the back so I could run around it was pretty easy. DnD kept them aggro'd to me and if I had to Death Grip, Icy Touch, or taunt a stray one and maybe eat it, it worked out fine. The self healing and a Lightwell I could work my way into range of came in handy (as did the Soul Well our lock left in the back of the room, not to mention a Jeeves lying around - oh the things you try as you kite a pack of worms around the back of a room) for the fire spit, meant the healers really didn't have to worry about me.

And I came away with:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=59492

Our first (and so far only kill) was with Boomkins throwing down mushrooms and hurricans with only the hunter at range.

We did pretty good last night on our first attempt post first-kill, but that one I was WarTanking the adds. Got to love Blood and Thunder... except for the one worm that would ALWAYS seems to aggro on a healer. Damn little bugger, one per pillar it seemed. Now I'm only slightly jealous of DnD ;-) (mostly because it's more forgiving when you have worms spawning at slightly different times).

Between the two, if you're struggling, it seemed that a hunter/boomchicken with shrooms is more functional than losing the complete DPS of one player for the whole fight (tanking adds) because it shortens the fight and reduces the chance of error. If your DPS is really good it's fine, but with the shroom explosions and quick action by range DPS, there's very little down time on the boss.

Has anyone else noticed jumping on Magmaw bugging? On our first kill I had it happen once and the DK in the raid had it happen once, that when we went to jump on him, we looked like we were jumping up, hovered for a sec, then were back on the ground. It was frustrating since it was just the two of us jumping that it happened.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

+ Reply to Thread