+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Magmaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Most boss encounters have a minimum number of ranged targets required to avoid ranged abilities targeting melee. The magic number for 10-man is 3.

I dont think this is correct in Magmaws case, my guild has managed a total of 34 attempts on Magmaw 10-man and not a single time has anyone who is standing in melee range drawn a Flame Pillar.

It has always targeted the lone Hunter standing at his preset spot 25-30 yards away, except for 2-3 random screwups when a healer or ranged DPS accidentaly stepped out of melee range and thus became an eligible target for the Flame Pillar as well.

I guess its possible we have just been insanely lucky, but looking at the numbers I cant really imagine that being the case.

Fair enough! As I said, that's just what they usually do, Magmaw might well be different.

Thank you for yet another great video Me and the guild are going to do the first attempt in a few days, hopefully it will go smothely

Thank you so much for another great vid!!

Just curious, does anyone know what that addon is that is tracking cooldowns on a single bar (scrolling right to left)?

Went up against Magmaw tonight on 10-man. We were unsuccessful. However it did get a bit easier when only having a hunter on range, and the rest in melee.

We had 1 tank: Prot Warrior.
    3 Healers: Resto Druid, Holy Pala and Resto Shaman.
    And a somewhat setup of DPS: Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Balance Druid, Shadow Priest, Hunter.

As mentioned we only had the Hunter on range and he always got the pillar of flame. If it gets into your melee-position chances are one of you is standing too far out (we failed on that once).

What beat us was us being too slow on killing adds. Also when the adds came too close to melee-range, people had to move and spread out a bit too much which didn't help the healing too much. So more or less communication, lack of AoE-focus and a few other individual mistakes made us fail.

If your guild is bashing your heads against this boss I would recommend trying Defense System instead. Believe it or not it's actually easier as long as people have checked out what the trons do. It's also good practice on perception and awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvefortyseven View Post
    Thank you so much for another great vid!!

Just curious, does anyone know what that addon is that is tracking cooldowns on a single bar (scrolling right to left)?
    Looks a bit like CoolLine

Did this on our second try and this tankspot video did excellent work for us. We did it on 10man with the following setup:

1 tank, 3 healers, 2 melee and 4 range

Pala Tank
    Holy Pala, x2 Resto Shaman
    Ele Shaman
    Surv Hunter
    Fire Mage
    Boomkin
    Frost DK
    Ret Pala

We stayed in the middle of the room and moved to either left or right when the parasites where incoming. The ranged + Frost DK focused on the adds down. The DK had chillbrains and glyphed HB to really help out. The Hunter placed a frost trap and the others just blasted at the adds and any extra slows etc worked like a charm. Use your mana regen cooldowns and stuff during the nuke phase if you can and you'll probably end up with full or near full mana, rinse and repeat.

To be honest we had more wipes on the 2 Drudges before the encounter lol, about 4-5? We brought in a second tank for the Drudges and 1shotted them. Spread each Drudge to the left and right of the room and they'll charge each tank (they charge the furthest away target). The rest of the raid should stay in the middle of the room and focus nuke on 1 to 10% then focus nuke the other down and quickly take out the remaining Drudge. Make sure no one is directly in line with the charge only the tank so there's no extra damage.

Hope this helps, all the best.

Hey guys, looking for a little help. I am a prot pally solo tanking this fight on ten man. We are using the strat where everyone stands in melee except for one ranged which seems to be working out great. The one problem that I am having is getting aggro back after the head phase. He always seems to target someone right away and one shot or just about one shot that person before I can get a taunt off. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can better deal with this? Thanks for your input.

We were having trouble burning down the adds on 10 man. We had our hunter MD the Lava Parasites to his pet. Worked like a charm. Hopes this helps some of ya'll out.

As a deathknight, I switched to Frost for this fight(10 man) and it was amazing how much easier it got. Chillblains+howling blast+glyph=awesome.

Basically I would blood strike twice on the boss to get the death runes and save them for the parasites. When Magmaw casts pillar of flame I drop a DnD and spam 4 howling blasts. Works very well.

We used the "1 ranged" strategy where we had a hunter at range and everyone else was in melee range for optimal AOE heals. I noticed that when I would leave melee range to kill parasites I would get blasted by Magmaws two fire ball abilities. I would rotate AMS and IBF as much as possible when killing parasites to reduce the damage of those abilities. If your AOE people in melee are pulling aggro on the parasites try switching to Blood Presence for the adds, then back to frost when they are dead. I had zero trouble holding aggro on the parasites with blood presence.

Frost Death Knight "tanking" proved very successful on my guild's 25 man kill last night. On our successful attempt we just had all DPS ignore the parasites completely as I kited them for the entire fight.

For any folks using a similar strategy, remember to glyph Hungering Cold and use it to condense the parasite horde into a smaller area whenever you can. This will help you ensure that Howling Blast hits all of them with a single application.

We MD'd a Doomguard to tank the parasites for our 25 kill. Highly recommended.

Al in melee but one is exelent ESPES if you are using a DK as stated above. Took us 2 tries using this tach to get it down a few days ago. Against whiping a shitload before .

As to the fact that mag just random hits a melee. There are 2 ways to deal with this 1 make sure everyone is topped off when the hit lands. Its hard as hell but at full health U will not die. 2. Make sure everyone runs out abit just before he goes up and U should be able to avoid it.

Well, My guild just downed this boss on our first night of attempting him, we had 3 tanks, 2 warrior and 1 paladin, 1 warrior just kited the entire fight with 3 of our warlocks using Shadowfury on Cd, the rest of the group just sat in the corner in melee range
    The only problem with this strategy is that sometimes the tank that is kiting, or any of the casters that are outside helping out the tank who is kiting might get out of range of healers, so all you have to do is make sure your in healers range, seeing as how they have to stack very close to the boss, you cant have them coming out to heal you or else you will get a pillar when they walk out to heal you.
    Hope this helps <3

After several wipes on this guy due to the parasites we decided that we needed to be slightly more proactive on the adds rather than expecting one or two ranged members to just deal with it.

Our DPS set up for this raid consisted of;
    Frost Mage
    Demo Warlock
    Hunter
    Rogue
    Enhancement Shaman

We basically ran it like this...

Pillar of flame, all ranged run to the predesignated spot in the room with the hunter dropping traps on the way, our rogue dropped tricks on the mage and then began the FoK spam, along with a hunter MD onto said mage and multi shot spam. This allowed our warlock to start running around like a madman with hellfire with no fear of grabbing aggro. All this with a ring of frost, cone of cold and blizzard from the mage.

All in all with this strategy of EVERYONE helping out where they can with the parasites it was then a pretty easy kill and the adds lasted less than 10 seconds on each spawn.

We had great success only using 1 tank.

For adds we just had our fire mage kite every add for the entire duration of the fight. This sounds crazy but it actually worked he just ran circles with all the adds from the whole fight while we nuked down the boss with all the healers and ranged dps directly on top of melee.

We did the dk kite method tonight for our first kill tonight... kiting the parasites near the melee group allowing them to use aoe to kill the parasites before they ever got near the kite tank. We had tried the method in the video for a couple nights but seemed to lose tanks when the healers moved.

For those of you who are still getting flame pillars in (near) the melee "stack" group... tuck closer to the boss. We got one last night, and identified that the individual who caused it was standing at JUST OUTSIDE melee range. Stack up tight!!!

Also, one-tanking this is perfectly viable. Save tanking CD's for the NOM NOM phase, too.

Lastly - your healers should have near full mana by the time the head phase is over. There is no damage during this phase, so tell them to sit back and relax for 15-20 seconds. Bloodlust/Heroism is essential for this phase, too.

U can put all Ranges in the Melee Camp. And let one Tank do the Parasites.
    [ For Warriors: Rend - Thunderclap - Shock wave -> and heal yourself with Victory Rush ]
    no one have to move this way, except when mag maw is casting this one spell right after he ate the tank.
    1 Mag maw Tank
    1 Parasite Tank [ Warrior seems to be the best option, because of their immense Self healing]
    3 Healers
    5 Damage - Dealer [ if you have a hunter, your parasite tank just have to be a bit faster at picking up the parasites and the Hunter has to move a bit]

[ Sry for the bad English ]

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrakal View Post
    1 Parasite Tank [ Warrior seems to be the best option, because of their immense Self healing]
    Self healing is irrelevant, there's no reason to tank them, you are only spawning more parasites and wasting healer mana. Done this with both the frost DK with Chillblains and a Fury warrior using piercing howl to kite while ranged burns them down. AOE snares are amazing here and make the fight a lot simpler.

25 man flame pillars

Can anyone confirm the lone hunter trick works for 25 man as well? Im wondering if on 10s it only requires one but maybe 3 or 4 on 25s. If we try this week I'll re-post. Would be nice to know a head of time tho

+ Reply to Thread