+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Magmaw

Magmaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Blackwing Descent Raid Guide! My name is Aliena, and in this video I'll show you all you have to know about Magmaw, one of

the first bosses you encounter in this instance. We completed this fight with 1 tank, 7 healers and 17 DPS, but similar raid configurations may do just as

well.

Magmaw has two different phases and a LOT of abilities. In the first, regular phase, you deal normal damage to him and your goal is to keep the fight

controlled by keeping everyone healed and killing adds in a timely manner. In the second phase, when correctly executed, you deal double damage to Magmaw while

your healers can replenish their mana.

Let's start going over Magmaw's phase 1 abilities and how to deal with them. First up, positioning. You want to have three basic camps - one for your tank, one

for your melee and one for your ranged attackers and healers. Both the ranged and the melee need to have room to change their camps by at least 15 yards or so.

This is because of Magmaw's signature ability, Pillar of Flame.

Pillar of Flame has a short cast time and is usually directed at a random ranged raid members but can occasionally target a melee. When Magmaw casts it, a red

swirl shows up on the ground of the targetted raid member and 2 seconds after, a pillar will erupt in its spot and anyone remaining in the area will get lifted

into the air and take massive damage.

That's not all however. Along with the damage, lots of Lava Parasites will drop onto the ground from where the Pillar erupted. These little guys are vicious.

If they manage to attack a raid member, that person will get infected with a debuff and after 10 seconds, the debuff will explode, dealing a ton of damage to

anyone around and spawning more parasites.

To avoid this, it's really important to make sure that no raid member gets hit by the pillar and moves as soon as they're aware of it. Once the swirl appears,

immediately have a hunter apply a frost trap to the area and then have your ranged raid members - and potentially some rogues if you have trouble taking them

down in time - take out the parasites.

Pillar of Flame is roughly on a 30 second timer, so that sets the timeframe you have to kill all parasites.

Magmaw will also occasionally attempt to eat your tank with an ability called Mangle. When he places this on your tank, he takes massive damage every 5 seconds

and after 30 seconds, he will be unable to take any action while Magmaw does his omnomnom thing. To counter this, either run two tanks or, if you prefer to to

it with 1 tank, have him use a strong cooldown right before the timer is up.

All throughout the phase, Magmaw will shoot the raid with Lava Spew - ranged missiles that hit everyone and need to be healed through. His last phase 1 ability is Ignition. Ignition happens every phase 1 and will ignite about half of the room. It's easily visible since the ground starts steaming. To counter this, make sure your raid always keeps somewhat close to the middle of the room and can easily change sides.

Phase two happens when Magmaw slumps forward and the emote "Magmaw slumps forward, exposing his pincers!" appears. When this happens, three melee need to jump onto his head using the spike and spam the ability they then gain - Constricting Chains. If executed correctly, after a short while Magmaw's head will become impaled on the spike and he will take double damage while being unable to do anything.

This is the perfect opportunity for bloodlust, time warp and heroism and also for your healers to regen some mana. After a little while, Magmaw will recover and phase 1 starts over.

It's worth noting that if there's no one in Magmaw's melee range, he'll enrage and basically wipe the raid, so make sure to always have people near him.

That about covers Magmaw's abilities. I'll attach video of the full encounter so you can see in detail how we dealt with his various mechanics. Good luck and have fun!

Do you have any more info about his Mangle ability? I've been searching everywhere and I can't find anything more than wowhead spells which are very inconsistent. I watched the vid from start to finish and I can't find and really heavy tank damage in there (110k damage would be 2/3 of their hp pool or more, every 5 secs for 30 secs), and I'm wondering what the final effect of the spell is when it's over. Is that the point where he leans over and the DPS chain him?

Sorry, just trying to get all this straight, will be heading into BWD for the first time tomorrow and hopefully will be prepared.

Magmaw will always Mangle the tank, and the tank then gets stuck inside his mouth while Mangle ticks for lots of damage. The tank will be able to attack the head at this point, and is not stunned inside the head but can use survival cooldowns like Shield Wall (and he should!)

After a few seconds, Magmaw will be "mountable" by 3 players like the guide says, and when they all apply the chains and get him rooted, the tank is released and the Mangle DoT goes away. It does not have a duration, whatever time your players need to get Magmaw chained, that's how long the tank will have to eat the Mangle.

what are you guys using to mark the points to run to when he does his fire pillar?

As Vhaarr mentioned the tank should be attacking the exposed head well being mangled. Also on 10 man (I assume 25 man) there is a debuff placed on the tank for 50% armor at the end of it. Tank swapping is generally a good idea to deal with this as it is exactly the same lenth of them as the exposed head phases.

Also if you fail to chain the head the tank will die mangle has an end of debuff effect of death.

Hey thanks for the vid :]

Question about the 10-man comp: 1 tank 3 healers 6 dps? If so, do you still need 3 melee to get on his head? or less? If you have 3 melee, do you ask 2 of them to help with the adds? Thanks!

We used 1 tank, 3 healers, 3 melee and 3 ranged for our first kill, but you should probably go with 2 melee and 4 ranged for the first kill as it eases up on the requirements for the AoE adds.

Those AoE adds are the key to the fight. Control them or die.

Only 2 people are required to jump onto Magmaw's back in 10 man. It's advised that you have ranged dps the adds since they can aoe without being in melee range and wont run the risk of getting infected.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticous View Post
    what are you guys using to mark the points to run to when he does his fire pillar?
    That is the standard raid markers. Part of the default UI that the raid leader has access to. It was just flares in 4.0.1 and they upgraded the graphics in 4.0.3.

do you have a 10man version of the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by keyalanda View Post
    do you have a 10man version of the fight?
    They're identical. We may do a 10-man version, but there are no plans for it at the moment.

Hey everyone, my guild has been having a lot of troubles on this fight on 10 man.

Our group comp is:
    prot warrior & pally
    ret pally
    rogue
    fury warrior
    ele shaman
    destro/demo lock
    holy pally
    resto shaman/druid
    holy priest

We've having a hard time dealing with the parasites, we've tried a handful of different strats from tanking them and dpsing to the tank kiting them, to the ranged handling them alone with earthbind and aoe. Nothing has worked so far, I'm wondering if any of you could maybe shed some light on what we're doing wrong or could be doing better. Thanks!

So far we've only downed halfus, omnitron and argaloth.

We had a frost dk with talented howling blast help out the ranged. Worked like a charm

Get the warlock to spec for Shadowfury, and perhaps get the Shadowflame glyph.
    Get the resto druid to put down mushrooms.
    Get the paladins to put down concecrations immediately before the adds become active.
    Get your Elemental Shaman to spec Earth's Grasp (and possibly Totemic Reach), and to cast a earthbind, earthquake, thunderstorm (with minor glyph) and chain lightnings on the adds. And possibly the Fire Nova totem if possible.
    I probably forgot loads of stuff.

Basically respec and reglyph to anything that can provide aoe stun and damage, and use it to control those adds. They are very much the key to the fight.

were having problems with the adds on magmaw atm everything else is fine

I would just like to get a few things clarified. Last night my guild attempted this fight on ten man. The raid comp was 1 Prot paladin, 1 resto druid, 1 holy priest, 1 fury warrior, 1 feral druid, 2 warlocks, 1 mage, 1 shadow priest, 1 holy paladin.
    Anyways, it was a mess. Of all the ranged I was the only one snaring and dealing with add control. I would move out of the pillar and pet freeze them until I got close to the rest of the ranged so I could start using blizzard/ring of frost. I exhausted every ability I had to keep them slowed, snared and rooted, while trying to maximize aoe damage. Sometimes I had to move out of the group to try and kite them away since I always had aggro, to buy enough time for the ranged focused on aoeing and myself to not get hit.
    Here's the kicker and as a sort of perfectionist, it's eating me up. At the end of the night, a lot of the failure was put on me, and my positioning while kiting, because I many attempts I had to move from the main group to keep from getting tagged because adds weren't dying in the 30 second window. Those adds did not touch a single ranged before the next group would spawn while the first was alive, and then it would get ugly and I of course would get over run trying to pick up another pack of parasites. I did all I could do, and after checking recount for parisite damage, I was on top in excess of 2 million. While kiting, snaring and rooting. Not 1 shadowfury from the destro lock, the demo lock wasn't specced for the HoG stun. So they were free to unload, they had nothing else to do.
    What I need to know is did I do everything I could have done given the situation, and is this more likely a lack of aoe damage and more importantly lack of assistance helping me control parasites so I can also focus on aoe as well? I really feel I did everything in my power and that pinning the blame on me was unjustified. However...if by chance I could have done more I could use any and all pointers you all may have. Thanks a lot.

Your entire raid failed, not you.Last night we had our first attempts on Magmaw and guess what , we wiped on his trash more than we did on him, he was down on the 5th try and not being able to kill all the adds in the 30 second window , well I like to call this epic fail,for us they were dead in under 5 seconds.All we did was basically earthbind totem , shadowfury , shadowfury while aoeing.
    Raid comp :
    Blood DK , Protection Paladin , Frost DK , Assassination Rogue , Holy Pala , Resto Shaman , Resto Druid , 2x Destro Lock , Frost Mage

Just took this guy down with quite a diffrent tactic. We had all dps in melee range and had a hunter to run out in order to place the Pillar of Flame and put down a trap to slow the adds.

It worked out very well!

Setup:
    2 Tanks, Feral MT Warrior OT
    3 Healers, Drood, Shammy and a Holy Priest
    1 Melee, Fury Warrior
    4 Ranged, Elemental Shammy, Fire Mage, Demo warlock and MMS Hunter.

Let me start by apologizing for not posting a question that has to do with the encounter itself.

I am really interested in the music that's playing in the background. From what I've managed to find on this board I learned that the score might be found on Royalty free Genres music site. There a LOT of soundtracks there, however, so I'd appreciate any info you can provide on the one used in this video.

cheers

the guild i'm in has alot of problems with killing the lava parasites. they forced me to play elemental instead of my resto/enhance spec so i my damage isn't viable enough? is it the problem i can't do the DPS or the whole group?

+ Reply to Thread