Thread: Heroic: The Throne of Tides

Heroic: The Throne of Tides

This guide assumes that you have already completed The Throne of Tides on normal and know fairly well what to expect from the bosses. I will be going over the new mechanics for each boss and some strategies on how you can counter them, however those strategies may not be ideal for all group compositions.

This guide is written from a Protection Warrior's point of view

----Lady Naz'Jar----

New/ Changed Abilities
    1. Geyser - The watery "void zone" does SIGNIFICANTLY more damage and can one shot a person if they are not at full health. Move.
    2. Shock Blast - SIGNIFICANTLY increased damage.

Strategy

PHASE 1: TANK N SPANK...Kinda
    Okay the first phase is a tank and spank. She occasionally summons a Geyser at player's feet, so the group needs to be watching for that. She also does a Shock Blast that will hit for about 140k on the tank and HAS to be interrupted.

PHASE 2: Waterspout
    She will go into phase 2 at 50% health, summon a water hurricane, and become immune to damage. In this phase she will summon 3 adds. One melee and two ranged (witches.) Use any CC you have (Fear, repentance, etc..) to kill the adds. Keep in mind that the witches will cast a pretty nasty Chain Lightning. Then its back to phase 1.

----Commander Ulthok----

New/ Changed Abilities
    1. Dark Fissure - Once he slams the ground with his fist and forms the Dark Fissure, it will start GROWING, like the defile from Lich King.

Strategy

The only difference in this fight is that the void zones will continue to grow. This acts as sort of a DPS race mechanic in that if your DPS cannot kill him fast enough, the entire room will be covered in the fissures. Have the tank kite him around the room (kind of like Grobbulus in Naxx) as your DPS burn him down. If anyone gets the Curse of Fatigue (lowers movement speed) make sure to dispell it. Make sure not to stand in front of him when he casts Dark Fissure!

The trick is to kite him slowly, you do not want the room overfilling with Dark Fissures. Though the speed of kiting will be dependent on the group setup you have.
    ~Thank you Quinafoi for bringing this to my attention.

----Mindbender Ghur'sha----

>No new or changed abilities<

Strategy

PHASE 1: Erunak
    This fight has not changed very little from normal to heroic. First off, the Earth Shards he casts at a random player will hurt a lot more, so be wary of that. Melee DPS should not stand in front of the boss due to the Magma Splash he does.

PHASE 2: Mindworm
    Same exact thing as phase 1. Nothing new. Avoid poison AoE ground thing...DPS the worm's host until 50%, then get back on the boss.

----Ozumat----

>No new or changed abilities<

Strategy

PHASE 1: Adds!
    DPS Adds, dps adds, dps adds. He summons 3 kinds of adds...a caster, a melee and a bunch of murlocs. Have tank pick up melee and just DPS them all down.

PHASE 2: Moar Adds!
    In this phase he will spawn 3 of the Ranged adds you were fighting before, and they will all channel into Neptulon. All DPS must be on these 3 mobs. Bring them down one at a time. The tank will be picking up the Beasts that will spawn during that phase and KITING them. Do NOT try and tank them as they will apply a debuff that increases shadow damage taken. Avoid the black swirly stuff on the ground.

PHASE 3: Kill That Squid!
    Nothing new here. Find Ozumat. Blow him up! WIN!

CONGRATULATIONS on completing Heroic Throne of Tides!
    Hope this helped a bit

~Rájah <Sentient>
    Zul'Jin Horde
    Last edited by Rájah; 12-17-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Ozumat PHASE 3: My group actually died on this part of the fight and as a Death Knight tank with the buff I was able to death strike from 10 mil to a win. Just thought I would throw that out there.

lol nice, the 1st time I did it, I ended up shield blocking and killing it with like 10k health left.

I don't think Commander Uthok should be kited on heroic.

First time, I led him in a ring around the room and consequently, the dark fissures had spawned everywhere and grew quickly so that there was no where to hide and we wiped as a result.

Second time, I just took a couple of steps back during the casting of dark fissure (it is very short range). The dark fissures were then restricted to only part of the room and we had the space we needed to function.

I don't think the enrage hurts so much that you really have to kite him. Just back off when he casts dark fissure and heal through the enrage.

You still have to kite him... the speed at which you kite him doesn't change the fact that you are kiting him. Ideally though you want to move him as little as possible, getting him out of the void zones so melee DPS has access to him but beyond that nothing more. This fight becomes trivialized even more so if there was no melee other than the tank since you could minimize the kiting completely (and have the boss himself standing in the void zone while you are not).

The guide wasn't wrong in saying you have to kite him. You perhaps misinterpreted it and felt the need to kite him too much resulting in the void zones being further apart from each other causing the room to fill up faster. Kiting by definition is nothing more than "you are required to move the mob". It does not imply that you have to move them continuously or great distances, just that you have to move them.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 12-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Ok, thanks - there were no melee in my party. I can see that movement is more important when they are involved. It's semantic, but I don't really regard it as kiting. It's stepping back from a big attack and moving him out of the "fire". The key thing is move as little as possible and talking of kiting risks getting people to do the exact opposite.

(I have no beef with the OP - I did not read this guide before doing the heroic. But I did read a non-heroic guide which recommended kiting. The big change from normal, IIRC, is the spreading dark fissures which is what requires moving as little as possible.)

Edited to include the slower kiting on Commander Uthok.

Lady nazjar appears to be on a timer for the phase change, last night we had two add phases, and she ended the add phase with a naga polymorphed.

Use a LoS pull when aggroing gilgoblins. they will kill you if you don't.

There is a timer for it to automatically break, but it will also break immediately if the adds are killed. Ideally you simply want the adds to be killed such that they are dead before the boss becomes active again.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rájah View Post
    PHASE 1: TANK N SPANK...Kinda
    Okay the first phase is a tank and spank. She occasionally summons a Geyser at player's feet, so the group needs to be watching for that. She also does a Shock Blast that will hit for about 140k on the tank and HAS to be interrupted.
    I noticed that only prot warrior ability that interrupts her is Concussion Blow which is on 30 sec CD - not enough to evoid Shock Blast on second time. Or i am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcis View Post
    I noticed that only prot warrior ability that interrupts her is Concussion Blow which is on 30 sec CD - not enough to evoid Shock Blast on second time. Or i am wrong?
    Shield Bash also works, and with a 12 second cooldown it should be available every time she starts casting.

Then i suck at timing. No other explanations

It works best to have a macro "interupt" and let dps do the interupting and the tank only use his if dps "fail".
    ( or if possible be in vent and call it out)
    "It's always the Healer's fault; unless it's the Tanks fault, just ask the DPS'er in purples doing 5k!"

I normally just spell reflect shock blast , works a treat.

The same applies to the other bosses.

The one that takes control of a party member does a flame shock and the large adds on the final boss do shadow bolts both im sure you can spell reflect.

Although when kiting the adds on the last boss concussion blow does come real handy to stun the adds before running away.

Thanks for the tip Sifer!
    Good to know that spell reflect works on her.