I just swapped em out to see if it's any better, with the swaps I mentioned (fleet meta + 50 mastery to boots) I now have 100.23% avoidance, and 43% critical block chance with Battle Shout up. This means that I gain about 23% critical block chance from shield block (ability), making it a 66% chance. I understand that this wouldn't necessarily help on fights like Hagra, but would it not be optimal for fights like Ultraxion or Blackthorn? I'm Trying to figure out if it would be better maximizing my mastery instead of trying to increase my stamina. Also, does 2% armor really outweigh 69 mastery? (54 from meta, +15 mastery for swapping Lavawalker for 50 mastery to boots)
Last edited by Hartzell; 07-06-2012 at 04:08 AM.
First off Block is not avoidance. don't call it avoidance, it's a theorycrafting thing, calling block avoidance is just bad. like turning you back on the boss bad. We call Block+avoidance chances Combat Table Coverage which is usually abbreviated to CTC. so tyou have 100.23% CTC, not 100.23% Avoidance
That hurdle out the waylets compare metagems, ignoring the 81stam the Eteranl increase you block values for 30% to 31 mitigation and your critical blocks from 60 to 62% block values. essentialy its increase the amount of damage you block by 3.33% .So assuming a boss hits for 100 damage every seconds and you have 0% avoidance and 60% block chance, and 40% critical block chance. Becuase critical block doubles our block values you can essentially treat it as a +Block value, so 40% crit block means on avareage we block for 42% of the damage on average (30% x 1.4). so we have a 60% chance to reduce the damage by 42% so an overall damage reduction of 25.2% so the incoming 100 DPS is reduced to 74.8 dps
if we plug our Eternal gem in we have to increase the block values by 3.33% so we'd now have a 60% chance to reduce the damage by 43.4% (42 x 1.0333) for an aoverall damage redcution of 26% so the incoming damage is reduced to 74dps.
If instead we plug the Fleet metagem in we get an extra 69 mastery which increase our chance to block and critically block by 0.58%. so 60.58% chance to block and a 40.58% chance to criticall block, on avearage we block for 42.174% of the damage and doing that 60.58% of the time means we avarage a 25.5% damage reduction. so our 100 incoming DPS is reduced to 74.5iDPS
So the Fleet meta gem works out to be 0.6% more damage taken than the Eternal, avoidance (parry+dodge+miss) will decrease this difference and the Fleet will finally be equal to the Eternal at the point you reach 100% avoidance.(parry+dodge+miss).
PLay around with the calculator i posted its pretty instructive that once you hit the point where you cap reach 102.4% CTC with shield block Up the Austere falls behind the Eternal, unless the largest damage source is unblockable physical damage. And if the majority of damage is spell damage since neither the Eternal, Austere, or Fleet have any affect so the Efflugent wins.
If the Majority of the damage is Blockable use the eternal
If the majority of the damage is not not blockable but physical use the austere
If the the majority of damage is spell damage use the efflugent
Every fight in Dragons soul except Hagara HC, Yorsahj and madness the majority of the damge is blockable. and even Hagara falls into that too if you don't eat her focused assaults.
Ah, it's clear now. Yeah, sorry, forgot it was called CTC (haven't really dealt with this for a while). Thank you for the calculator, it did help me better.
If you fix your cloak and ring reforges to change the higher stat to mastery, you will be closer. That is if you are the Hartzell from Ner'Zul. Use chardev.org if you don't want to spend the meager amounts of gold to test it on live.
Originally Posted by Tengenstein
I am :P
Thank you for that, I actually overlooked my cloak, replaced that ring, and did what you said. I'm already anticipating reaching the cap, and am gonna start phasing out some gems, and turning them into stamina.
Is stamina stacking really best for warriors though?
I only ask because warriors benefit from an endless supply of mastery, right?
-um, I guess this can just be clarified, but I just noticed that's your signature :P
Short answer is Yes
Once you have 102.4%CTC stamina is best. Above this thresh hold all that mastery is doing is increasing the size of your blocks, prior to this its also increasing your chance to block. in terms of gem budget you get 75stam for 50 mastery, +50 mastery is about +0.28% to critically block, but that can only happen if you don't avoid the attack, and generally at the gear level where your CTC capped you;ll have about 40% avoidance so you have ~60% chance to block and get the extra chance to crit block.
On the other hand 1 stam is worth 14HP +15% for being prot, +5% for being in full plate armour, and you got to remember that that 75 stam gem is actually 82.5 stam with kings, so 82.5 x 1.15 x 1.05 x 14 or 1394 health
At the levels we have in end game, TTL starts scaling a lot better than total damage reducution.
Dreador's siq-quote is in regards to MoP acitive defences.