+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cata Priest Healing

Dstinia: What gear level does your priest have? At lower levels holy may be easier to do than disc. I'm not sure if this is true after the last patches and hotfixes, but maybe it's a way to get you back to your priest and healing even if it is not disc.

Katzazi-Her gear is showing 330..idk maybe thats to low..here is my armory page http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...stiniia/simple
    tried healing again last night and still struggling so much. Just let me know if u see anything and if you think holy maybe the way to go till i get a higher item lvl thanks

If you are at the bare minimum to run heroics, and 330 is, then it will be a struggle. Doesn't mean that you can't do it, but it will be much easier in a guild group. Also, that item level is counting gear in your bags. If you have a iLvl 278 helm equiped but a 318 in your bags that's not as good due to itemization, the one in your bags still counts. Your actual equiped iLvl may be lower than you think.

At the minimums, me and the four I ran with for heroics then wiped a fair amount. You just have to get mechanics more correctly to make it work. There is less room for error.

With the new stacking Luck of the Draw, you should be able to perform more like you are in 346 gear as long as three of the members are randomly assigned to the group. However, that does not mean you can ignore mechanics. It just lends more room for error. When I say "you can't ignore mechanics" I mean the entire group. If you have a pug tank and dps trying to zerg, the fault may not lie with you.

When I have a "failure" healing, I tend to go to recount and look at damage taken. If they want to blame me for a wipe on Throngus, they are first going to have to explain why they took 225,000 damage from Fire Shield.

Thanks That does help like i said i may need to check around on some reg instances just to make sure im not missing any gear that might help me manage healing a little more.

Just a update about my healing..still having the worst time i have given up 100% on healing and i miss it so much, i think im going to finish lvling my pally to 85 and try healing with her, we shall see how that goes if anyone hears anything good about disc priest and if we will ever get fixed please let me know!!!!

healing help for Cata

Ok, so I was shadow stubbornly FOREVER. Ive never been a real good healer.

However here is something ive learned in Cata that has saved me from barely having to heal much at all and save me from going OOM like a dream.

Seems Cata wants people to concentrate on Curses, Poisons, Debuffs etc..

Granted we cant decurse, and we cant get rid of poisons. We can however Cure and Dispell.

There are many fights (trash mobs included) where someone gets a magic debuff or a disease that you can dispell or cure and if you read the tooltip its usually something like "takes 10k nature damage every 5 sec" or "reduces health by %50" and my favorite "reduces all healing taken by %99" by curing or dispelling these debuffs you will save yourself and the rest of the party ALOT of headache.

This is usually why DPS who is standing next to you will be taking heavy damage and never understand why.

Dispelling these debuffs from DPS classes will most certainly help because you wont have to panic and flash heal them and then panic and flash heal the tank cause you stopped healing him and now hes down to %25. And dispelling from the tank is easy peasy since you have him targeted already.

Things like static cling are obvious. But others are not so plainly obvious. And most healers first train of thought is to not dispell or cure since it takes up a GD and precious healing time. Trust me. A cure on that disease just saved you from having to heal another 50k hp.

Now this isnt going to completely solve the issue of our mana pools sucking, not having many instant casts for when we need to keep a dying tank up but also have to run out of the fire and it certainly wont make your tank any better (thats what shields are for) BUT I promise you if this is not something you have taken into consideration or if its something you are NOT doing. DO IT. Youll thank me later.
    Last edited by Magorio; 04-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Oh ya, and I forget the 5 man its in, but there is a magic debuff that actually damages you when you move. Something like 50k for every few seconds of movement. This one is killer since most DPS have been conditioned to move around to avoid "the fire" and every elf in every group ive ever been in just love to run around and do flips while trying to kill the mob.- Most people have no clue about this debuff as every group ive randomed with and told are like "wow thats so neat, I didnt know that"....dispelling this turns the fight from a multi target healing hell fest, to an easy time healing just the tank.

And do your party a favor in the DPS department by dispelling those nasty debuffs from pets and such. Poor pets get no love.
    Last edited by Magorio; 04-10-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinia View Post
    Just a update about my healing..still having the worst time i have given up 100% on healing and i miss it so much, i think im going to finish lvling my pally to 85 and try healing with her, we shall see how that goes if anyone hears anything good about disc priest and if we will ever get fixed please let me know!!!!
    Don't give up Destinia. Things get MUCH better as you get better gear and better groups. Everyone wants to blame the heals but its just as easy that DKs fault for trying to top the DPS charts and pulling aggro off of everything. Also keep in mind the other class that helps you get through the dungeon, the tank class, has also gone through major changes as well. Building and holding aggro are very hard for lower leveled tanks, as well as damage mitigation (since parry and dodge and block are now rare if not completely gone stats from gear) once you hit 85 and then break the 340 ilvl mark things start to get much easier. Granted I still get the occasional crap group with the tank in PvP gear or less than 120k hp, but now and again I get the dream group where everyones ilvl is around 340, the tank knows what hes doing, everyone knows the fight and people care more about getting though to the next boss and MUCH MUCH less about who is topping the DPS charts.

If you armory Magorio youll see I dont even have very good healing gear (actually pretty crappy even, no gems in my slots and no reforged items...and the ones that are gemmed and forged are from my DPS set.) yet I manage to do pretty well, especially in a group with 2 or more guildies.

When your tank is a honest to god tank that knows the mechanics of the fight, and when your DPS is trying to help the group and the healer by using FD, vanish, fade etc. things go very very smoothly.

You can usually tell how good your group is on the first pull of most dungeons. The first pull always seems to be a little rough, if no one is CCing and you wipe on the first pull...leave or get proactive (not the pimple cream) and tell people to CC and focus fire one target.

Also a real good way to get the healing mechanics down is to stick it out in regs even though your ilvl says you can do heroics. If you have a guild standard or a rep tabbard, wear it and try and get some of the epics from rep vendors. A well practiced well geared priest can carry a group much like a crazy over geared tank can.

Anyways...ill stop blabbing on and no for now. Mostly cause I need to go buy a game card.
    Last edited by Magorio; 04-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thank you Magorio I may try to do some more regular instances, cant hurt anything at all I def miss healing with my priest it was always my fav class. What made me finally give up was i was healing Herioc Halls of Org and on that 1st boss by the 2nd time jumping down and hitting the switches i was oom and had tried to pop my hymn to get mana back but those damn snakes kept getting me and then the whole grp just disbanned in the middle of the fight,just made me feel fail lol but ill give it another shot thanks again

Ya that is an odd fight for healing ive found. TBH I think its everyone elses job to get down there and get those switches and handle the snakes. The tank should still be tanking the snakes, and someone with AOE should be killing em dead..too many times I see the tank hit the switch while a mage tries to DPS and TANK the snakes.

And if no one says anything about where to jump down before the fight, just tell people "All left, then all right"

I'm stubborn though and still jump down to fear the snakes to help a bit. However I don't think thats very smart of me and Ive lost a few tanks to being OOM trying to keep the tank and party alive.

Also I haven't done it myself but I see other healers stay up top and heal people from above. Not sure what kind of things happen up there, but it might be worth trying.. >_< don't come back here and yell at me if you try and get one shotted by that song he sings (its Friday by J Black isnt it?)

Its really kind of disappointing that Holy Nova has no place in that part of the fight.

Just last night I finally went and reforged my DPS gear to be better suited for healing as I got called into a BOT trash run. I changed anything (except haste) into spirit and if it couldn't be changed to spirit it got changed to haste, and holy smokes was I blown away. I've always shied away from raiding as a healer as I never felt comfortable enough but after stacking all that spirit and haste i'm having a MUCH better time keeping a decent mana pool, even in the heroics.

I think you said already that youve done all you can to reforge into those stats, and others have already suggested so I apologize for repeating things.

I've also broken down and finally watched some YouTube vids of some of the harder fights (I'm also stubborn in that regard. I tend to shy away from things that take the immersion factor out of the game, ventrillo, WoWhead, Mods, etc...) but its hard to deny how much they help. One watch of the Steelbender fight and I knew not only what I had to do as healer, but what everyone else had to do and it helped me anticipate surprise damage spikes.

Sorry if my advice is kinda nubish, I am still learning myself and just giving tips on things i've noticed myself trying to avoid the same pitfalls you all are facing too.

Not nubish at all!!!!! Trust me any advice i can get that will help me get back into my healer i will gladly take!! If i get that instance again i may try to stand up top on the ramp i dont think it does anything that far back just if you stand in the area with the boss...i may also give holy a shot seems like they have a easier time keeping everyone up, i noticed there really arent that many disc priest when i get randoms anymore so idk it maybe time for me to try something new!! Thanks again so much for your advice and ill def give you a update on whats going on!!!!

No what heals are best for party healing (as holy)

Your holy word (single target) is your most mana efficient heal, keep it on CD on the tank. Have enough haste (12.5%) to have renew5 (5 ticks of renew per cast). Then just stay in single target chalk and drop heals on the tank while weaving in holy word AND gheal as needed.

For party damage. CoH heals for more then PoH, but distance limitations come into play. So be careful. Binding heal is very handy in large damage scenarios binding heal tank, then PoH with serenity is quite the boost.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Well I tried healing again...and I'm not doing to awful! Healed heroic throne of tides today which i know isnt the worst one out there, but did it with no wipes and got a nice offhand which a elemental shammy tried to need roll against me grrrr lol but im going to keep trying to heal and see if it stays nice like this..ty all for all the information and advice!!!

Gratz.

H ToT gives me fits; not that the damage is that tough, it's that the dps is that stupid. Staying out of green stuff on the big adds, avoiding the water spouts on the first boss and staying out of the black stuff on the floor (while burning the adds around Neptulian and not the big adds being kited) on the last boss all seem like very difficult concepts to the average dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Gratz.

H ToT gives me fits; not that the damage is that tough, it's that the dps is that stupid. Staying out of green stuff on the big adds, avoiding the water spouts on the first boss and staying out of the black stuff on the floor (while burning the adds around Neptulian and not the big adds being kited) on the last boss all seem like very difficult concepts to the average dps.
    I guess im a mean healer..cause i smooth tell ppl you stand in the green stuff knowing you have to move i refuse to heal you threw it. Now the other day i was doing h grim batol and the 1st boss was giving me issues and it wasnt me im sure, the fact that all the troggs were kicking my ass cause tank wouldnt get them off of me and dps wouldnt attempt to help either, needles to say after the 3rd wipe from me getting killed 1st i left. Other then that im enjoying healing again and its nice to see my mana pool not dieing after every trash pull

Im starting to see the benefits of Leap of Faith and Body and Soul. Especially in ZG pugs. I swear they made that encounter to make holy priests pro at Leap. So many times Ive pulled people out of that green stuff in ToT.

-I have to ask, even though I know this isnt the proper place - Is there a mod available that enables me to create 1 big button (or more) that I can move around and scale? Id love to make one giant Leap Of Faith button.-

So another tip for people reading this with mana issues.

There always seems to be a down town in damage in most fights, a moment where you get to stop healing (even if its just for a second ) I use this time to send out my Shadowfiend and pop Hymn of Hope. HoH gives you a intellect increase buff that lasts about 8 seconds. With this buff up the shadowfiend will generate more mana per tick than without the buff and youll get a nice bit of mana from HoH itself. (plus all mana users in your group will get a nice bit of regen not to mention the increase in spell power and crit.)

Even if you only have enough time to HoH for a few seconds and not the entire channel, its still better than nothing.

Also if youre an Engineer you can use Synapse Springs in the same manner to get more intellect regen out of your shadowfiend. And of course Springs+HoH+Fiend = OP

Well hopefully by now your healing fine with the buffs to disc in the latest patch. If your having problems still here is my stratagy for healing. as the tank pulls use PW: Shield followed by Prayer of Mending, next watch for him to drop then cast pennance then start spamming your greater heal until you can cast shield and PoM again.. rinse and repeat. for longer fights I will use my shadow fiend and my trinket (core of ripeness) to restore mana. watch for needed dispells (careful in ZA/ZG) there are ones there that are needed for the fights. if you are in a large pull dont be afraid to cast a cooldown if needed such as prayer or hymm, also use your pain suppression when needed, usually on big pulls after your initial PW:S and PoM. fist thing to buy with valor is the trinket core of ripeness will save you over and over, and also get the Darkmoon card: Tsunami if you can.

I'm not doing to awful anymore i think i have gotten it figured out. I did make a HUGE boo-boo tho, i was so desperate to get into ZA/ZG heroics that i bought the valor cloak and just took that sea star trinket with the spirit from TOT, i mean im still doing good on heals so its not hurting to bad but yes my next valor item will be the trinket. Also another boo-boo im doing i keep using flash of light but im not draining my mana and it is much faster then greater heal so that is a plus and a minus cause i know it does not nearly heal for as much.

I'm quite "meh" on Core of Ripeness for Disc, and never bothered to purchase one. By the time I had finished purchasing all the other VP gear I wanted, I already had Tsunami and the Doll from archaeology. I won't replace either until we've got heroic Cho'gall and Sinestra down.

The VP cloak is a wise investment for Disc, as the only upgrade comes from heroic V&T. The VP ring is another great choice. My first purchase was the T11 chest, as it's part of my ideal Disc 4pc set and can only be purchased through points. Plus, chest pieces are a great thing to upgrade due to the effect of ilvl scaling on slots with larger amounts of stats. Going from a 346 chest to a 359 gives +39 intellect. Upgrading 346 boots to 359 boots gives +28 intellect, and a 346 wand upgraded to 359 yields only +12 intellect.

Yeah im slowly lvling my arch in hopes of the trinket, working on getting t11 gear now good to know that wasnt to much of a boo boo lol thanks for all advice

+ Reply to Thread