+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: so I'm a lvl 15 Warrior, I Q'd as TANK, my LFG is ready, I run into my first mob...

not sure if you realized this or not Relem but just so you know devastate doesnt do extra threat anymore granted its great for applying sunder armor while doing extra damage but it doesnt generate the extra threat like it used to but thats just an fyi in case you didnt know.

but it doesnt generate the extra threat like it used to but thats just an fyi in case you didnt know.
    Since as low level tank, the Op haven't other ability, tabbing and apply sunder make atleast white do build more damange and more aggro.
    atleast...
    Coz the race dosen't matter...For anyting else use MasterCard!

so I'm a lvl 15 Warrior, I Q'd as TANK, my LFG is ready, I run into my first mob...

Quote Originally Posted by shiver View Post
    This is an invaluable thread for me.

I have also spent most of my WoW time in the background healing as a resto druid. To a large extent this has given me tunnel vision where even on dungeons I have run countless times, I still don't know the combinations of mobs or their specific abilities. All I see is little boxes...

I have been wanting to get into tanking for a long time, but knowing how demanding other players can be of perfection and me not wanting to ruin their fun, has put me off a little. I also made the mistake of RAFing my warrior up to 60 without having run any dungeons which leaves him in about the same position as my druid.

@wórg
    It would be really awesome if you could document your adventures tanking your way to 85. I know it would be a really useful resource for me and perhaps a few others. Regardless, good luck and have fun.

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread.
    You know, I just might do that.

I've ran deadmines, sfk and wc so far, using the suggestions here.

I really helped me relax, having some info on how to approach things, also being relaxed made it easier to be confident, and I'm beginning to pick up a rhythm.

I want to create a macro to switch to battle stance, charge, then back to defensive stance to get access to taunt.

Clicking between stances has been a pain.

Also something that bugs me about what blizz have done with heirlooms. They have created high spec items that are better than what a newb can pickup on ah or instances, then given them to more experienced players as a reward. The result is a newb can end up in an instance with experienced overgeared prats who pull different mobs, have the tank running about like a madman sometimes resulting in a wipe

/rantover

I've found that marking has really helped with this. Although some folk, (usually hunters as I've found over the past few days) like to pull someone different and then bitch about aggro.

There fault?

/bitchover

Erm will post later when I'm finished work.

Howl

Quote Originally Posted by wórg View Post
    Also something that bugs me about what blizz have done with heirlooms. They have created high spec items that are better than what a newb can pickup on ah or instances, then given them to more experienced players as a reward. The result is a newb can end up in an instance with experienced overgeared prats who pull different mobs, have the tank running about like a madman sometimes resulting in a wipe
    Having Tanked in Cata Dungeons with my 85 DK, it doesn't get any better.
    So many DPS are still used to being able to rain down a mass orgy of AoE without concern or to burn down mobs on their own, that they end up wiping groups in Cata Dungeons where CC and focused DPS are actually required, especially in the Heroics.

All I can say is at lower levels you are just going to be running around like a madman trying to keep things on you.
    I have 2 Pally tanks the smaller one is level 53 and I spend more time trying to grab mobs that DPS think they should be pulling and killing instead of actually tanking with some groups. My other Pally is almost 82 and it isn't any better half the time.

Hey OP, how are ya?

I'm in virtualy the same situation as you. I was a healer for a couple of years than dps, now i decided to try a worgen prot warrior to try something new and i'm LOVING it. Well, at least the solo part. Instancing has been so far very anxiety filled and rage (pun intended).

I'm trying my best to follow the newbie guides, but nothing can quite prepare you as real practice and trial & error runs.
    I've made a lot of mistakes and gone to some flaming from dpsers that expect that a worgen warrior with a couple heirlooms is a dire-hard tanking veteran (wich i'm not), so things go wrong sometimes.

Some expect me to chain pull and get agro on 10+ mobs, some expect the instance doesnt even need a tank so they pull everything as dps, some expect the healer to have infinite mana, etc.

I'm realy trying not to give up but between being flamed and geting lost in dungeons and being angered by being pressured into keeping up a high pace its not being easy.

One thing that i've noticed that helps a little is rend+thunderclap (with talent), and at level 25 using the glyph of cleaving. ALso, dont go nuts on heroic strike/cleave unless you have realy realy high rage, or else you risk missing on a shield slam or thunderclap.

Also, one thing that REALY helped me out is tidy plates - threat. Config it so that when you have agro, its colored green on nameplates, and when you lose agro, it turns orange/red and changes to 150% size, so that you can easily check what to grab.

I think geting warbringer and imp. revenge will help a lot for added mobility and also geting big revenge hits on 2 mobs, lets hope!

Oh and i wanted to leave a question, is there any map addon that kinda shows you where the bosses are and the way to go there faster? i tend to get lost a lot... the new blizzard zone map is "ok" but still not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPT View Post
    Oh and i wanted to leave a question, is there any map addon that kinda shows you where the bosses are and the way to go there faster? i tend to get lost a lot... the new blizzard zone map is "ok" but still not the best.
    i'm using atlas. I'm going to organise what I've done so far so that i can build a what i did log, that might help others, and that other can help me improve on.

I REALLY like being a warrior!

I REALLY like being a warrior!
    You know why that is my friend its cuz us warriors are just the biz and we pwn

I want to create a macro to switch to battle stance, charge, then back to defensive stance to get access to taunt.

I'm new to tanking as well. just started a warrior. I had no idea we could switch stances in combat like that. So doing a charge then switching stance to defensive is the normal way of things? I really like this thread and how it breaks things down to the simplest of simple. Finding a low level "Tanking for Dummies" guide for prot warriors is pretty tough. Most guides assume you are already at lvl 80+ and know all the lingo.

Before the days of Warbringer, I used a similar macro. There's more than one way to go about it, but I used a single button macro that I put in the same place on my battle stance and defensive stance bar.
    it went something like this: (Choose the ? icon, so the macro shows you what you're going to do when you click or press it)
    Code:
     #showtooltip 
    /cast [nocombat, stance:1] Charge; [nocombat, stance:2] Battle Stance; 
    [combat, stance:1] Defensive Stance;[combat, stance:2] Taunt;
    That macro has the #showtooltip so that when you mouse over the ability, you get info about what you're going to cast, rather than the macro name.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Making_a_macro has a ton of information about macros, but I'll break down what I used in this one for you:

Conditions inside brackets determine whether or not that part of the macro is used when you press the button. all the condition modifiers have to be true (it's a logical AND, for you programming types) in order for the spell after the brackets to be cast. The semicolon is used as a separator between spells, the comma as a separator between conditions. The colon is used to denote modifiers (stance type, modifier key, etc).

combat and nocombat modifiers: These conditionals show true depending on whether you're in the combat state, or out of the combat state.

For warriors, stance:1 is Battle Stance, stance:2 is Defensive Stance, and stance:3 is berserker stance.

What this macro does: If you are not in combat and in Battle Stance (nocombat, stance:1) it casts Charge (which will most likely put you in combat).

If you are not in combat and in Defensive Stance (nocombat, stance:2) it will put you in Battle Stance.

If you are in Combat and in Battle Stance (combat, stance:1) pressing the button will put you in Defensive Stance.

Finally, if you are in combat and in Defensive Stance (combat, stance:2) pressing the button will cast Taunt.

You can put whatever spell you like in the (combat, stance:2) location - just highlight Taunt in the macro interface and shift-click the ability in your spell book that you'd like to replace it with. Just make cure that the ability can be cast while in defensive stance. I just put Taunt there because it made sense to me - I use Charge to close the gap outside combat, and Taunt to close the gap while in combat.

Glad to see someone new joining the tanking ranks, don't let bad DPS discourage you - just tell the group from the start what the rules are, make sure the healer is on the same page as you, and keep communicating - it's amazing how just one really cool person can make an otherwise crappy run awesome.

I've found the following addons to be useful:
    • Atlas – for dungeon maps
    • Bartender4 – to tidy up the interface
    • Omen - Helps show your putting out enough threat
    • Recount - Records data of fights, like DPS, healing etc
    • TidyPlates – cleans up the nameplates, and can be configured as required

hello id recommend just going for the closest mob and thunderclap as much as possible if there are any other warriors in the group tell em not to use thunderclap and to everyone else to not dps till u get thunderclap in first and also to make sure they are ready before u charge in someone may need to change specs, drink, or may have to go afk for a bit always be prepared also id recommend using recount, atlasloot(for loot tables), bloodyscreen(shows bloodsplats when u crit) every now and then also i didnt read if u had it figured out so just disregard this post if u have it under control.
    Last edited by JordanB500; 12-20-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo

i tanked with everything but a warrior up until i quit wow. came back for cata and wanted to play a worgen warrior. what i noticed leveling up my warrior is how nasty some of the pugs are. feral droods in feral gear (in the healers spot) telling you to pull the whole room... um, the whole heirloom thing, 85% of heirloom geared peeps just want to suck up your healers mana while they solo the instance... they first to call you a noob too when group wipes coz they didnt feel like following a kill order or you took the time to taunt something off healer i/o them... i found that the most sane thing to do most of the time is thank party for the group, exit, and eat the debuff till i can wait for a new group. the few times you do get a decent group tho is golden, really liking all the lil tanky tools war's have, and mine is only 32.

also in my opinion every dps should focus target u..i have a keybinding for it / its way down out the to my normal keys i smash as a druid,but this comes from exp. as a dps to never pull aggro but some dps just think they can do whatever an expect tanks to save them...focus tank=no deaths lol

From a vet tank, (6 yrs as prot war and counting) the biggest thing I can tell up and coming warriors is RELAX. Yep that's it relax. Tanking is a personally rewarding role, but often thankless to the masses. If you have angy DPS yelling at you bout being a noob or not knowing your way.. just relax.

Honestly, leaving the group just feeds into their rage. Calmly, recover from the wipe and continue. If a dps chooses to pull a mob(s) and not follow kill orders or marks let them die. In fact state it at the beginning of the run that over zealous dps will be left to fend for themselves.

Even now in 85 heriocs I have a maco I punch up when I enter a Pug that says:

"Hello, I'll be your tank for this run. Please adhere to CC marks and the kill order given. Over zealous dps that can not adhere to these simple request will be left to tank the mobs they pull themselves."

That little phrase and I have maybe 1-2 dps a night of multiple runs that just don't get it. Usually, after the 3rd or 4th death, they leave which we pick up a new DPS and continue.

Remember, you have arguably chosen the most tank class requiring the most finese(won't say hardest cause that really is subjective to the group and encounter) to play in WoW. If you aren't going to have fun learning the class why bother.

I am at the present moment leveling both a prot warrior and a prot paladin and realy i dont advice starting out as a prot warrior as your 1st tanking class (if that applies to you as never had a tank before).

I play wow for 5 years now and never had a tank so i decided to start cataclysm with one. After having a few problems with my prot warrior with AOE agro and overzealous dps i decided it was too much stress for me loging into wow after a hard days' work and still have more stress in a game i was suposed to relax and cruise-chill my night.

But, i havent completely forgot my idea to have a tank so i rolled a protection paladin and its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier (after you have your aoe abilities ofc). Tanking with a prot pala is way more relaxed, slow paced and definately more "safe" for aoe agro.

- With prot warrior i am constantly in panic of losing aoe agro (and sometimes do lose it) and i have to constantly mash my buttons and watch carefully for my rage (for cleave) and the thunderclap cooldown.

- With my prot pala it feels that i press one button and unless i fall asleep i won't lose aoe agro, i just need to press one button every 4,5s and press another button on my main target and everything is cruise mode.

This creates two completely diferent tanking experiences. One is forgiving (but boring), the other is stressfull (but fun).

TLDR:

Protection paladin could be more suited to more stressful players while protection warriors could be more suited for people who are looking for more excitement in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    If a dps chooses to pull a mob(s) and not follow kill orders or marks let them die.
    Easiest choice in the world just let them die. Tell your healer not to heal them, healers in general are prone to listening and being your buddy.

Also this is just a side note. I started a low level druid and another warrior to become tanks to go with my paladin and dk. Druids...omg it sucks at low lvls no real easy way to grab multiple mobs. For warriors I would suggest getting the talent to have rend appear on all your targets. You can lose it when you get to be a higher level but for a lowbie I found it invaluable.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

+ Reply to Thread