+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Is prot warrior threat/damage too high?

i was under the impression that post 4.0.6 devastate would replace revenge and revenge just like that short time in icc would be dropped from the rotation for max tps? not sure what the max dps rotation now is. is that how the opening rotation is then?
    SS > revenge > devastate > SW > rend > SS > stack up dev statcks and hit TC(refresh rend and stack up thunderstruck)?
    ofc hit SS whenever S&B procs and basically resetting the order. but with that in mind, is it worth 4-6secs in to the fight to dedicate 3-4 GCD's on devastate to stack up sunder armour x3? or let it build up as the fight progresses. and then during the fight keep that as a prio (SS > revenge(talented) > devastate > refresh rend with tc and hit shockwave with 2x thunderstruck.

where does Conc blow/HT fit in the picture, is it a filler for shockwave when thats on cd? also is it worth saving shockwave for 3 stacks of thunderstruck or hit it as soon as it comes off CD (glyphed SW).
    Last edited by Achilliesx; 02-11-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Revenge is still worth using (just) if you have Improved Revenge. However, specing into Improved Revenge is situationally arguable and not as large of a TPS increase as some other talents such as Cruelty and (especially) Deep Wounds.

Trying to stack up Devastate quickly is probably not a great idea in most situations if you have having issues with burst threat at the start of the fight. It certainly doesn't 'hurt' to do if you are fine on threat, but it's not all that advantageous either.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

ah ok. i was stacking up the sunderarmor debuff after the first cycle which can be penalyzing if you're opening a fight, just didn't know how bad it would be if i just let it stack up itself instead of going out of my way to do it.

i was running BWD last night and i did notice some rage issues, running with:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

atm, while i have cruelty & deep wounds, i'm considering putting the points from thunderstruck in to 3/3 shield spec. yea i am guilty of spamming HS/Cleave a bit too much after popping inner rage. but what i'm trying to get at is, is the points dropped from thunderstuck enough to validate maxing out shieldspec for the xtra rage gained to spam heroic strike a bit more, is it a net gain or loss?

ps. don't mind the other spec, was an experiment and am too lazy to respec into something more viable

Thunderstruck is only okay'ish for single target aggro (at max 1-2% more dps), shield specc is just awesome. Try it out yourself, i'd go with more rage any day There are only a few fights where you're rage capped and there when Inner Rage comes into play.

yea i guess i can use the secondary spec and orientate the other spec for aoe/trash.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Thunderstruck is only okay'ish for single target aggro (at max 1-2% more dps), shield specc is just awesome. Try it out yourself, i'd go with more rage any day There are only a few fights where you're rage capped and there when Inner Rage comes into play.
    This is only true if you have to keep up thunderclap (which is typically not the case). If frost fever or equivalent is up, trying to organize a thundstruck shockwave is a dps loss.

You don't have to organize a thunderstruck'd shockwave alone, it's the increased damage from thunderclap/rend that adds up over time as well that i included into my assumption.

Hitting thunderclap once every ~ 14s is roughly 4400 initial damage plus 8500 damage via rend ticks for me without the option to be partially blocked, dodged or parried. And there are six chances of getting a deep wounds procc for only one global. It's at least okay, on par with a regular shockwave damage wise and slightly ahead of devastate on the third global after using shield slam.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    You don't have to organize a thunderstruck'd shockwave alone, it's the increased damage from thunderclap/rend that adds up over time as well that i included into my assumption.

Hitting thunderclap once every ~ 14s is roughly 4400 initial damage plus 8500 damage via rend ticks for me without the option to be partially blocked, dodged or parried. And there are six chances of getting a deep wounds procc for only one global. It's at least okay, on par with a regular shockwave damage wise and slightly ahead of devastate on the third global after using shield slam.
    This is contingent on BnT talent points, which are pulled directly out of deep wounds/cruelty/incite/shield specialization which all have better mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post
    I am! And its fun.
    Yeah me too. In BoT (25 man) on the trash pulls at the start I was over 28k dps. That is way fun but can't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Booi View Post
    This is contingent on BnT talent points, which are pulled directly out of deep wounds/cruelty/incite/shield specialization which all have better mileage.
    8/2/31, my regular tanking specc. If there's need of more aoe/utility you can easiliy swap out HR and Cruelty for Thunderstruck and Safeguard.

Threat is fairly high, may start seeing threat come inline with the next content patch or Hard Modes perhaps? And dps is high mostly with regards to AOE situations. On my Warrior last raid I managed 27k DPS on Magmaw just tanking the add's that spawn from Pillar of Flames...

I can do about 11-12k with no gimmicks if rage allows, but more often than not I do sub par dps and threat because the damage intake from almost every 10man boss cannot give me enough rage.

+ Reply to Thread