+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Prot Warrior tanking [random instance leveling]

Need help with Prot Warrior tanking [random instance leveling]

Going to get right to the point.
    I SUCK at tanking as a warrior. I honestly don't understand how to successfully tank groups of mobs without having them being pulled off of me by my dps/or even the healer sometimes :/

Keep in mind I'm level 65 and leveling with my prot spec by using the random dungeon finder.

What I need to know is how to pull these groups and do a successful amount of AoE damage, and cause (AoE threat) for lack of a better term.

Cleave, thunderclap are the only two AoE attacks that I know of, and they both have a long cd time, So I use those as I gather the group of attackers, but during the Cd's I notice mobs I've grouped up starting to leave and attack other members of my group.

What am I doing wrong? What rotation do I need to use.

Please redirect me to a page where I can read up on being a protection warrior, if you are unable, or unwilling to share the information on this thread.

Sincerely,
    A noob tank in need.

I have no idea what level you can get to shockwave because of the changes but without it you are going to struggle especially with ret pally's and mages at that level because they are not very well balanced at that point.

Without it I suspect you best tactic is to put a skull on a target and get the dps to concentrate on one target which at least you can put a taunt on.

I have my marking keybound to F1-F8 so I can quickly just hit a key when targetted but there are also addons that allow quick marking.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

You get shockwave at 69.

When you pull you will want to charge and rend the target ASAP. then thunder clap because it will spread the rend to everything. You ten have to watch you threat on everything, revenge and cleave are both 2 target so just tab between things and cleave them.
    Forestgimp - Holy/Protection Paladin - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Sammiches - Assassination/Combat Rogue - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Drd - Restoration/Balance Druid - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)
    Assviolator - Arcane Mage - Khaz'goroth US (Oceanic)

Re: Need help with Prot Warrior tanking [random instance leveling]

Blood and thunder ain't that great, get the glyph of sunder armour (affects one additional target) which works with devistate then just,

Mark, charge, shield slam, thunder clap, devistate, tab devistate (repeating) SS/clap on CD (cleave if over 50rage), if rage is high on the pull I like to open with charge, clap/cleave but if you don't have much rage it kill you for the first 2-3GCDs so beware but if you can spare the rage it rocks because cleave is off GCD so you can fire it off at the same time as your clap for good inital threat (works best with cleave glpyh of )

Also install tidyplates with threat plates, will giive you a heads up on which mobs are loosing threat before they run, make sure you have conncusion blow hotkeyyed for a quick stun on escaping mobs

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Invalid View Post
    I SUCK at tanking as a warrior. I honestly don't understand how to successfully tank groups of mobs without having them being pulled off of me by my dps/or even the healer sometimes :/
    It's called being new, not sucking. Even if you've tanked with a different class, you will still have a learning curve (ask the anti-warrior paladin-playing girl how she knows....oh, wait, that's me. I tanked my first instance on a warrior Monday night. She's 32, now. Pally, 81.)

Keep in mind I'm level 65 and leveling with my prot spec by using the random dungeon finder.
    Not having all the tools in the toybox is a pain, isn't it.

What I need to know is how to pull these groups and do a successful amount of AoE damage, and cause (AoE threat) for lack of a better term.

Cleave, thunderclap are the only two AoE attacks that I know of, and they both have a long cd time, So I use those as I gather the group of attackers, but during the Cd's I notice mobs I've grouped up starting to leave and attack other members of my group.
    I know Cleave is 3s, shares a CD w/ Heroic Strike. Shockwave, which you get at your 31st talent point is another AoE attack. TC has a 6s CD, but this is manageable. Tab targeting is your friend, afaik.

What am I doing wrong? What rotation do I need to use.
    I shall leave this question to those who are better equipped than I to address new Warrior tanks.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

You likely aren't A) Marking kill targets and B) Constantly target switching.

Your AoE rotation is the same as your single target, only you are constantly switching mobs. That is why warrior tanks like being warrior tanks, and a lot of people hate them.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Thank you to everybody for their reply. I will start switching targets, and get a marking system going. This will help out immensely. Cheers to the tanks of the world (of warcraft)

Glyph of cleave. Makes you hit 3 targets.
    Heroic throw on casters to silence them, makes them come to you.
    I usually start off with thunder clap for insta-aggro, then put on rend and another TC.

Another trick is to leave a dying mob to the dps:ers to finish off, and charge next pack. Gives you a couple more seconds to build aggro.

*$

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Another trick is to leave a dying mob to the dps:ers to finish off, and charge next pack. Gives you a couple more seconds to build aggro.

*$
    Also gives you a rage bar that isn't painfully empty...

It will be difficult to hold threat against many classes at level 65. Charge>Rend>Thunderclap(If you have Blood and Thunder), then cleave and tab target through everything else, using revenge as much as possible. If you can convince the DPS to focus fire a target, put a skull on it and put the majority of your efforts on that target.

I also second the suggestion to get TidyPlates Clean Plates.

Also, to the poster above, Blood and Thunder probably sucks at level 65, and at level 80, because the mobs die so quickly. I've found it to be incredibly useful in Stonecore and BRC, however.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    It will be difficult to hold threat against many classes at level 65. Charge>Rend>Thunderclap(If you have Blood and Thunder), then cleave and tab target through everything else, using revenge as much as possible. If you can convince the DPS to focus fire a target, put a skull on it and put the majority of your efforts on that target.

I also second the suggestion to get TidyPlates Clean Plates.

Also, to the poster above, Blood and Thunder probably sucks at level 65, and at level 80, because the mobs die so quickly. I've found it to be incredibly useful in Stonecore and BRC, however.
    so i take it that its not worth getting BnT?

as for the target switching, would you just charge shield slam one annd revenge on another for a two mob and toss in a cleave?

Well Revenge hits 2 mobs equally, so if I were tanking 2 mobs, I'd probably put a skull on one, change, shield slam with a cleave, revenge, and go into a normal rotation. If the mobs are living a long time, I'd occasionally tab over and throw a shield slam or a couple sunders on the secondary target. Just remember that Revenge always hits 2 targets if you have it talented (and you should).
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

well as a low lvl warrior im not getting it talented until say 41. So without it talented, one would charge shield slam cleave, and revenge the second?

I am a level 82 warr, mostly played fury, but now i would like to learn tanking. Currently i am speced for blood and thunder, but don't relly care for it. Your style sounds more to my liking. Could you suggest a good spec for this, not always the best at chossing talents

Why is everyone mentions opening with charge? You have to switch stance afterwards which as a prot leaves you with empty rage bar. Am I missing something?

The warbringer talent lets you use charge in any stance...

Quote Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post
    Why is everyone mentions opening with charge? You have to switch stance afterwards which as a prot leaves you with empty rage bar. Am I missing something?
    The warbringer talent, which I believe is in the second or third tier of talents allows you to Charge, Intercept, and Intervene in defensive stance so you do not need to stance dance to be able to charge as prot.

To the OP, cant tell you about how it is in new dungeons, but try keeping your pulls as small as possible until you are completely comfortable with tanking. Best way I have found for AoE pulls is to charge in and Thunderclap to grab snap aggro. Then ya just round everything up rend one and thunderclap again to get Blood and Thunder spread out. After that use Thunderclap every time its up, and use Cleave, Devastate, and Revenge, and Shield Slam, when its not.

im just curious, i'll be starting from lvl 1 on a new server come wednesday when my finals our done. For the early instances say 1-60, would it be better to get blood and thunder for those instances or would it be better to get incite?

I can't really decide as i've been going back and forth on this in my and its finals week and all... how disturbing.. the good side of getting incite would be the questing alone without my friends, but it seems my friends would still be use to the aoe instances and im worried about keeping threat with the low arsenal of skills a warrior has to begin with. I'll prob dual spec later on. But as I get cleave and glyphs, is BnT needed in later instances? i'll be running with a priest, mage, warlock, and rogue most of the time.

thanks.

Without shockwave and due to the high rage cost of cleave i'd recommend giving Blood and Thunder at least a try

+ Reply to Thread