+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guild swears I won't catch up to them questing while I tank dungeons in Cata...

Guild swears I won't catch up to them questing while I tank dungeons in Cata...

Why is it my guild swears that I won't make 85 before they do since I'm a tank going all out on dungeons. Would really love to prove em wrong, but do you honestly think instant queues as a tank will make up for the time questing or whatever? Not to mention that's how I leveled 1-80, tanking randoms.

My gear is ICC25 with some ICC25 Heroic pieces. I figured this would be the easiest and fastest way since I'll be tanking them. And the fact that I'm really, really, really bad at questing and get bored from it within 10mins.

have fun watching people leave every 5 seconds because they found out that heroics are actually hard now and not "lolspamaoe and collect loot"

but i plan on questing to 85.or running dungeons with the guild members in my guild i know are smart

Heroics aren't til 85, I'll be starting at 80 lol. And I can't be the only one whos studied every boss fight in the new dungeons can I?

You will be running into problems when you hit 84 and only get tolvir, origination, vortex pinnacle and grim batol, as these are fairly punishing if you haven't geared up in uldum and twilight highlands. My money would be on questing with running dungeons when you have quests, otherwise the quest grind will be the winner. If you could convince some guildies to come with you it would make dungeons a lot faster, maybe offer a healer and 3 dps 1000g each if you win the race

1000g each??? I've only got 2k gold to my name :P

And I figured I'd dungeon til about 83/84 since the first two (throne of the tides and blackrock caverns) are 80-81/2 dungeons and I'm assuming H-ICC25/N-ICC25 gear would be good enough for in there right? Then just buy the tanking set off a blacksmith or get a guildie to make one for the next couple levels.

Quote Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
    Heroics aren't til 85, I'll be starting at 80 lol. And I can't be the only one whos studied every boss fight in the new dungeons can I?
    so you cant do cata heroics until your lvl 85?

im assuming when you hit lvl 81 theres really no point in doing wrath heroics anymore

if i remember correctly, BRC and TotT only gave experience up to 83. I think you need an average item level of 305 to queue for any instance other than BRC, TotT or SC (although that won't stop you going in there without the dungeon finder).

bee-tee-dubs: stonecore has some very, very nice tank loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    if i remember correctly, BRC and TotT only gave experience up to 83. I think you need an average item level of 305 to queue for any instance other than BRC, TotT or SC (although that won't stop you going in there without the dungeon finder).

bee-tee-dubs: stonecore has some very, very nice tank loot.
    ya

id imagine though with everyone trying to get to 85 and questing in the same zone you are.it'll probably be better to lvl thru dungeons anyway though

I figured by the time I dungeon'd my way to 83ish the questing areas will be less crowded and if I did want to quest I'd be fine with less people there and all. And don't the blacksmith tank crafted items put me at the ilvl305 or what not?

And my guild swears by questing so they've already said they're questing to 85 -_-.

If leveling in Cata is anything like leveling a new toon since 4.0.3a, then the XP gained from questing and killing things is going to be better then then running dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpJuice4 View Post
    so you cant do cata heroics until your lvl 85?
    Current content heroics have always been restricted to max level (70 in TBC and 80 in WotLK).

In the final few iterations of the beta, they made leveling through instances significantly slower than questing at some levels. The main driver here is that the amount of exp you get from a trash mob is instantly reduced by 50% if they're lower level than you.

You'll probably beat your friends from 80-->81, but then the exp you get drops by almost half.

If the Cata quest conent/story lines are as good as the lower level stuff, it's really worth enjoying ride up to 85. If you haven't leveled an alt in the new Azeroth, questing is not what it used to be.

I can't be the only one whos studied every boss fight in the new dungeons can I?
    Not the only one, no, but I'd wager that using LFD you will discover you are in a clear minority.

Unless you're running with guildies, expect to wipe many times while people get used to new boss mechanics and their own ability changes (higher mana costs on heals, etc.). This could potentially slow you down a lot, especially if you wipe several times on a boss. The wiping phenomenon probably won't really hit until Stonecore, but yeah.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

The only way to effectively level through dungeon running is to run with people that are both capable and knowledgable about the content. The reason running existing dungeons is so easy is because everyone has done them a hundred times each. This same level of comfort does not come with new content. The reason why leveling by questing is faster than leveling by dungeons isn't necessarily because the rate of experience gain is better but because you aren't reliant on other people. A group is only as effective as its weakest member. An individual is as effective as they themselves become.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I've only got 2k gold to my name :P
    And don't the blacksmith tank crafted items put me at the ilvl305 or what not?

God, I will be SOOO happy if they are actually anywhere near this cheap.
    But I having a feeling that its not going to be the case.

=p

If your only at 2k gold, I have a filling its going to be a bit before you acquire any crafted gear. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    If the Cata quest conent/story lines are as good as the lower level stuff, it's really worth enjoying ride up to 85. If you haven't leveled an alt in the new Azeroth, questing is not what it used to be.
    So far in feralas (done about 20 quests) I have dealt a serious blow to the evil things in the emerald dream and to the twilights hammer. Questing is awesome now, and this trend continues into the cataclysm zones. You really do not want to miss out on the story lines in the quest areas (and the awesome stuff you get, like trinkets with passive haste and a use to gain 900 str for 10 sec every minute. The AH will be flooded with people wanting to dump their crafted greens, but expect to pay multiple extremities and limbs for the top level blue and epic crafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    SThe AH will be flooded with people wanting to dump their crafted greens, but expect to pay multiple extremities and limbs for the top level blue and epic crafts.
    The joys of having a leveled toon for all professions except LW and Skinning - and those are coming up fast. I have a feeling early on my BS, is going to be making some nice coin - if he isn't busy outfitting my DK, Pally and, in time, Warrior.

I found dungeon XP to be really low on beta. Actually don't really see any real point in doing dungeons while leveling instead of questing--which is actually a bit disappointing.

In leveling a new character, dungeons in classic now are pretty nice XP. Didn't really get that feel in Cataclysm dungeons.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

+ Reply to Thread