+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cata Prot Warrior rotation

Initial threat on multi-target encounters isn't always easy with warriors. There are solutions though.What I do to help create some initial aggro in these situations is open with a cleave instead of a rend where cleave hits 3 targets. If there are more than 3 targets and I want to play it even safer I use heroic leap, then cleave, then rend, and then TC etc:Using heroic leap at beginning will mean you will be slightly less mobile during the encounter so just be aware of this trade-off.Hope that helps.

Also, use commanding shout and berserker rage for rage and if not using leap then use charge.

Cata Prot Warrior rotation

I'm a new warrior but all I do Is
    Shout
    Charge
    Tc
    Shock wave (after I have moved back a little)
    Rend
    Tc
    Then normal rotation
    I haven't lost threat yet and I only taunt if heroic throw is on cd I throw intercept and heroic leap into the mix of I missed a second caster. If I see a mob running to healer I intervene to healer (focus intervene macro) and grab mob on the way back to the rest.

I use tc as my first hit because it's an aoe and gets some initial threat shock wave to stun them and rend tc while they are stunned. tc on cd and shock wave at 3 stacks.
    Hope that helped but that just my experience.

For a mob larger than 4: shout, Heroic Leap>shockwave>rend>TC, spam cleave, TC on CD, tab target. Basically throw wild punches initially until your threat really ramps up to overcome a DPS AOE. Why shockwave first? it buys you time to get rend/TC going, and since Vengeance ramps quickly now, it should work fine.

Actually, I find it better to Rend+Thunderclap first, then Shockwave, simply for some extra initial rage (and Vengeance, makes SW hit harder while you're at it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Actually, I find it better to Rend+Thunderclap first, then Shockwave, simply for some extra initial rage (and Vengeance, makes SW hit harder while you're at it)
    I agree with Airowird. I think rend -> TC -> Shockwave gives higher dps. Also, cast charge followed by a rend gives a significant higher rate of applying the bleed since under the charge stun the target could not parry or dodge. Shockwave has the same effect too, but I usually apply rend at the very beginning of the fight.

Of course it does because Rend is a weapon damage based attack and such only scales at about 16% AP making it, along with Devastate, the ability that gets the least out of vengenace and thusly one of the best moves to use at low vengence, Shockwave conversely is possible our best scaling ability a hearty 75% of AP, so at low AP this hits like a wet noodle, and at high AP like truck. Stunning everything on the pull isn't exactly great for stacking vengence either and can stall your incoming rage, delaying the point at which you can pop IR and get on to some heavy cleavage.

optimal Prot opening on AoE is Charge>intercept> Heroic leap>rend>TC>SW.

and the follow the basic priority of SW>TC>Rev>SS>Dev.

Wish there was a glyph to lower the cd of leap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Wish glyph of revenge was glyph of heroic strike.

I wish we had HS/Cleave be a "do this when we'ld otherwise cap out Rage" toggle, but I guess Blizzard just likes the button mashing that is Heroic Strike.

And you can Leap/Charge at the same time, easiest is to keep your finger on charge button, leap from max range and just mash charge till it works

Also,

and the follow the basic priority of SW>TC>Imp Rev>SS>Glyphed Cleave>Dev>Cleave>Rev.
    Fixt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

i have acheived the toggle effect by having alot of macros and paging bars.

Wish glyph of revenge was glyph of heroic strike.
    Lol wish revenge was on my bar while we're at it.

What is the best single target boss DPS rotation?

Depends on your AP, and Incoming Rage, how much tiime you spend in in def stance etc. and whether you take Imp.Rev and BnT, so you really have to sim yourself but in general

1. SS
    2.TC to maintain rend <3 second duration
    3. fish for SnB procs if SS's CD is >1.5
    4. Rend
    5. SW
    6. CB
    7. Rev/Dev

whilst maintining Demoshout, burning excess rage with HS, and interupting and reflecting as necassary

When pulll track packs I've always done

charge > Shockwave > rend > Demo > Tclap

The idea being that I wouldn't take any un-debuff'd hits. It this good practice or just a waste of time :\
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Its good practice if the trash pack is actually threatening (like 5 mans were at the start of cata), however thats not really the case for most packs in current content its kind of a waste of time as your delaying your vengenace stack and throttling your rage since theirs no incoming damage for the first 4 seconds, additionally becuase you have no vengeance SW hits like a damp noodle. in most cases you'd be better off doing the following;

Charge>Heroic Leap>Rend>TC>SW

Re: Cata Prot Warrior rotation

Its good practice if the trash pack is actually threatening (like 5 mans were at the start of cata), however thats not really the case for most packs in current content its kind of a waste of time as your delaying your vengenace stack and throttling your rage since theirs no incoming damage for the first 4 seconds, additionally becuase you have no vengeance SW hits like a damp noodle. in most cases you'd be better off doing the following;

Charge>Heroic Leap>Rend>TC>SW
    Kind of nit-picky, but I prioritize Leap over Charge because Leap front loads some damage/threat. And also because Leap puts you in combat when you land (on top of the mobs), whereas Charge puts you in combat as soon as you release the button.

For the OP: I spec Gag Order so HThrow has a silence. So (you) can leap/charge & pummel one, Tclap to gather the melee, then throw/silence a second caster... who will then attempt to stab you with the spork they ate lunch with. Limited raid utility, but everywhere else Gag Order is pretty nice.

Eh i find it easier to to CHarge then HL behinf the mob/pack, just easier to position for me.

I find it easier to leap & charge at the same time, but that takes practice to get down. Once you have it though it's a useful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruke View Post
    I find it easier to leap & charge at the same time, but that takes practice to get down. Once you have it though it's a useful tool.
    Interesting concept. Going to attempt this later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Interesting concept. Going to attempt this later on.
    There was a video posted somewhere on this site explaining how to do it. I will try to explain just in case anyone cannot find the video.

1) Target mob you wish to charge
    2) Set targeting circle for heroic leap
    3) Cast heroic leap and spam the heck out of charge.

Results if done correctly you can charge/leap at the same time into a group of mobs. Or you can leap away/charge back into a mob, or while pvping to get a charge off on your opponent.

+ Reply to Thread