+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vexryn's Cataclysm Tanking Master Gear List & Gear Progression

Vexryn's Cataclysm Tanking Master Gear List & Gear Progression

As a self-confessed tanking "geek", over the years I've made some pretty epic spreadsheets to plan out my gear and gear progression with every new patch and xpac.

Well this time around, I've decided to make it part of the community knowledge, so I've posted my whole gear list, cross-referenced in lots of useful ways, to the Maintankadin forums.

Although it's written for tankadins, it's equally relevant for Warriors, and due to requests I've already received, I expanded it to include 2H weapons as well so the DKs can use it also.

Accordingly, anyone who's planning on rolling a tank for Cataclysm and wants to be gearing up quickly for raids, and/or just wants a comprehensive gear list, please take a look and spread the word.

You can see the full material here: Vexryn's Cataclysm Master Gear List + Gear Progression

Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Vexryn; 06-18-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks for putting this together! I already have it bookmarked from when I came across it at MT, but I am glad to see it here also!

Updated with gems & enchants now, too.

Looks real nice any reason you're skipping T11 pieces in the valor section?

I was thinking of aiming for 4piece T11 first and then pick up whatever the biggest upgrade is.
    bedrock talisman got me really confused though, under budget maybe? Else I'll stick with Petrified Twilight Scale

At the time I built the list, I didn't realize which/how many T11 pieces would be available at what cost. I just saw the pricing yesterday from the vendor on my server.

Will update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    Looks real nice any reason you're skipping T11 pieces in the valor section?

I was thinking of aiming for 4piece T11 first and then pick up whatever the biggest upgrade is.
    bedrock talisman got me really confused though, under budget maybe? Else I'll stick with Petrified Twilight Scale
    Fixed the Tier 11 details in the Valor section. Still need to update it in the gear prioritization discussion though, as I do think "go right for the tier" is a valid path, especially to purchase legs & gloves as the first two pieces.

As for the trinket, yeah, seems VERY under item budget. Although not given the way most other armor-on-gear was nerfed in patch 4.0.1. If I had to guess, the problem is that the Halion trinket is actually "over" budget now, and will be nerfed in the coming weeks.

Expanded to include Gems, Enchants, and Professions as well.

thanks, saved me quite a bit of time

Love the guide, thank you very much.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Recently updated - I re-wrote a chunk of the gear priority guide in light of new information about the throttling on Valor Points and the availability of Chaos Orbs for crafted gear.

Awesome guide, thanks a lot for this.

I'd recommend adding ranged weapon slots for warriors when you get a chance.

Isn't essence of the forlorn for heroic Tier itemlvl 372? For example helm of the forlorn conqueror isn't the same as crown of forlorn conqueror.

Nice part about the chaos orbs didnt realize they were BoP. Seems a bit odd comparing to how it was handled in wotlk but as blacksmith i don't mind, will make heroics a bit more profitable
    Last edited by Bigbad; 11-29-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    I'd recommend adding ranged weapon slots for warriors when you get a chance.
    Booi has some ranged weapons on his list and there are also some items from engineering as well. I haven't seen any tank specific ranged weapons yet though.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Pre-Raid-Gear
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ring-Cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    Isn't essence of the forlorn for heroic Tier itemlvl 372? For example helm of the forlorn conqueror isn't the same as crown of forlorn conqueror.

Nice part about the chaos orbs didnt realize they were BoP. Seems a bit odd comparing to how it was handled in wotlk but as blacksmith i don't mind, will make heroics a bit more profitable

Yeah, I just discovered today that the Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror is separate from the Crown - one is a raid drop for Tier 11, the other is a trade-in for an Essence of the Forlorn for Tier 11.5.

This is fixed in the latest version now.

So fun trying to get everything sorted out when the information is still fuzzy!

But please let me know if you see more issues like this! Thanks!

Vexryn, thank you very much for this. It was an hour and twenty minute read well-spent. I will definitely be bookmarking that.

If someone could humor me by answering a question of mine, that'd be great. I'm at work and, because of the internet blocking that these IT guys are so great at, I cannot access wowhead, mmo-champion, elitist jerks, and many many other WoW related game sites to research for myself. Luckily, I can access this one and saves me from the bore of the 8 hour shift at night especially since I love this site so much. By the time I get home, I'll most likely start talking to the wife, get into the game, nearly fall asleep at my computer from exhaustion, wake up to the always-energetic 4 year old, get back into the game, then come back to work and remember that, in my amazing daily routine, I forgot to look this up yet again. So...
    In WotLK, frozen orbs were used by just about every crafting profession there was (I believe that only inscription does not use them). In Vexryn's guide, it talks about using the Chaos Orbs for blacksmithing crafting, but never for the leg armors or jewelry that the frozen orbs were used to craft in WotLK. Granted, the pieces that were crafted with the frozen orbs are epic, but does that carry over into Cata as well? Did you not mention these only because this is really a starter guide prior to raiding and, with raiding, there will be better pieces to replace the other epic pieces that will require Chaos Orbs?

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is... are blacksmiths the only ones who are really going to be wanting these Chaos Orbs since they are BoP and can't be traded or sold for better gear and currency? or are others going to want them for their own crafting professions?

(I tend to ramble a lot before I figure out a better way of asking things. Forgive me please.)

Crittable,
    Good question.

See HERE for a list of stuff that is crafted using Chaos Orbs. It is not Blacksmithing only; they appear to be used for most crafting professions. But they are used to make epic (and some rare blue) quality gear, and only gear of that nature. They are not used for "item enchant" crafting like leg armors.

So you will be rolling against other crafting professions for these, primarily Blacksmith, Engineers, and Leatherworkers (and a tiny bit of Tailoring). But that "should" be it.

It remains to be seen whether anyone can need on these though. I don't know yet if we'll have issues where people with gathering professions can need on these and then ask for gold to trade them in-group, or something to that effect.

Going to be posting a lot of updates over the next few days now that I've done the 80-85 grind and geared up. Stay tuned for new guide information!

Lots of new updates added. All discovered epic World drops. All raid drop locations added. Cross-reference list now includes stand-alone lists for gear sorted by raid, and a separate list for all BoE gear you might find on the AH, from blues to epic world drops to raid BoE epics!

+ Reply to Thread