+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper AoE Rotation?

Proper AoE Rotation?

I'm still have some issues perfecting AoE tanking, in heroics its not a big deal but in raids I can't seem to keep up that aggro.

Also I completely fail at reading comprehension because last night when I read the tooltip on Blood and Thunder I did not know you had to Rend first then apply TC.

My usual AoE combo went:
    Charge -> Shockwave -> TC -> Cleave -> SS/Rev -> Devastate etc

Of course I have to some how put Rend into that now.. perhaps after the shockwave?

I would recommend charge>TC>Shockwave>commanding shout>rend>thunderclap>cleave/revenge/ss/dev if you want to work in rend.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

That looks pretty good any reason why you use commanding shout before applying rend? I'm assuming its for the rage generation but I'll give this a try thanks!

Yeah, it's to give you a rage bump. Stunned baddies=no rage.

We have discussed this before the rend AOE spec really doesn't work in heroics the splash damage by DPS is just to big and they don't care. Most are quite prepared to tank mobs rather than nerf there output.

It's still useful to learn and I think actually quite good in ICC but don't expect it to solve your AOE threat issues.

Come cata when DPS will get dying if they pull agro expect them to behave a little better.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    We have discussed this before the rend AOE spec really doesn't work in heroics the splash damage by DPS is just to big and they don't care. Most are quite prepared to tank mobs rather than nerf there output.

It's still useful to learn and I think actually quite good in ICC but don't expect it to solve your AOE threat issues.

Come cata when DPS will get dying if they pull agro expect them to behave a little better.
    Last night while healing I let a DK who wouldn't slow down his AoE damage die twice. Made me happy.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't worry about blood and thunder at all really, but if you really feel the need to have the talent, I wouldn't use it on any fight that won't last for at least 3 thunderclaps, which pretty much disqualifies heroics. Just Charge>TC>Shockwave>Go nuts with single target rotation, switching among the targets.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Here is what I do:

Charge > Thunderclap (x1 Thunderstruck) > Shockwave > Rend > Thunderclap (x1 TS) > Shield Slam > Cleave > Devastate > Thunderclap (x2 TS) > Shield Slam > Cleave > Devastate > Thunderclap (x3 TS) > Shockwave

Works very well, if you want to hold aggro off of a DK tank you need to charge in before his Blood Boil, which out threats anything we can do early. In terms of doing the TC before the SW, TC will get the units rounded up and on you, so you can backpedal and hit them all, Shockwaving off of the bat risks missing units to the side, as well as not having the 10% increased damage from one TC.
    Last edited by Raij; 11-19-2010 at 10:00 AM.

I again have to step in here and advocate for BnT. I hated it the first time, dropped the talent, was still frustrated, so went back to try it and I'm having a lot of success with it. Even in heroics I usually charge->Rend->TC->Shockwave. Almost never a problem. If you are having issues with runners (like if a healer has HOTs ticking on you) then open with a Shockwave -> Rend -> TC

After either of those openers use TC and SW off of CD, and prioritize Cleave and Revenge when available. Otherwise tab select and punch faces in with your shield. Seriously, we can hold AOE threat almost as well as before 4.0.1, we have to change our AOE rotation.

Of course we can, but those rend ticks aren't helping any unless it's 10+ mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raij View Post
    Here is what I do:

Charge > Thunderclap (x1 Thunderstruck) > Shockwave > Rend > Thunderclap (x2 TS) > Shield Slam > Cleave > Devastate > Thunderclap (x3 TS) > Shockwave.
    Read your tooltip for Thunderstruck. It says NEXT Shockwave. Therefore, when you use that first Shockwave it clears the buff, meaning your second Shockwave is only a two stack. Not that it really matters or makes a different one how you should play, but it is something to be aware of.

Yah, sorry, was tired when I wrote that dude. Takes one extra shockwave to get to 3. I am MORE than aware of this. The previous timing I had there wouldn't have worked either. Edited for the fix.

Unfortunately I did not take thunderstruck in my spec its more for raid survivability and the glyphs I use are bad well sort of. I use Heroic Throw, Sunder Armor (could be Cleave though..) and Shockwave. I really love the Heroic Throw one however its great for getting an add that is out of taunt range for Lady Deathwhisper.

For heroics I do use the other rotation I listed in my first post of this thread. In terms of raiding in ICC the hardest class to keep aggro off are Fury Warriors because they do more TPS than me when I'm not at full Vengeance.

Unfortunately I did not take thunderstruck in my spec its more for raid survivability
    If this is the case you shouldn't have blood and thunder in your spec either, thus you no longer need to worry about rend.

My rotation:

Charge > Rend > TC > Shockwave > Cleave, SS, REV, DEV
    Then Use: Cleave, TC, SW (when ability is up)
    If we donít make it alive, well itís a hell of a good day to die
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hadgar&n=Angur

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    If this is the case you shouldn't have blood and thunder in your spec either, thus you no longer need to worry about rend.
    Well it was either Thunderstruck with BnT or get some Incite which doesn't really proc a lot with 2/3 specced but it might have more value once I'm 85.

Well it was either Thunderstruck with BnT or get some Incite which doesn't really proc a lot with 2/3 specced but it might have more value once I'm 85.
    If you are running an AoE tanking spec, incite is worthless as your rage dumps should be cleave, not HS. Last I read the tooltip, incite only affects HS.

Yeah I took Incite to help on Boss fights for threat. Oh well I guess I can play with different specs but not much point now since Cata is less than a week away :P

+ Reply to Thread