+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise

Expertise

How significant is the reduction in value for expertise between 23 and 26 skill? I have a couple tanks on my server telling me that you still need 26. DK tank btw

You don't need any expertise at all. It just increased your tps and helps with parry-haste. You want 23 to remove dodge from the table, there's an issue with the conversion rate at lvl 80 as a blue post stated few days ago - will be 26 at 85 again. Having more than 23 isn't too bad - it's the softcap you're aiming for nowadays.

And thus, for a level 80 attacking a level 83 every point of expertise skill (not rating) up to 23 is worth twice as much as every point of expertise after 23 until 56. At 23 you completely remove dodge from the combat table, so prior to reaching that inflection point every point is reducing your chance to be dodged & parried by 0.25% (each). After the inflection point, since you cannot reduce your chance to be dodged belove 0%, you are only lowering the chance you will be parried.

now the in game character sheet is lying, it says you need 16 expertise to reduce the chance to be dodged to 0%. It's wrong, Ghostcrawler has said we only need 23 expertise to be undodgeable, combat logs shows this to be correct. I would assume that the couple of other tanks on your server telling you otherwise, either assume 23 is rumour/wrong and ignore it as their character sheet clearly shows you need 26, or are simply not keeping abreast of patch changes. The character sheet is wrong, the soft cap 23.

And you only want as much expertise as you can comfortably tank with, Parry-hasting is gone last i heard so its a pure threat stat, feel free to reforge as much of it as you like unitl the point your threat gen becomes a problem.

Thanks a lot. Yeah I am having some threat issues, particularly at the beginning of the fight and when picking up adds. I'm going to keep it at 23 for now and just save my runes and unload with death strike and as many heartstrikes as I can when picking up a new mob. I WAS opening with the standard IT > PS at the beginning but at this point I feel like that isn't sufficient for initial burst.

Note: there is currently a formula quirk. 23 is the soft cap currently at 80. Once we get to 85 everything will be back to normal and 26 will be the standard soft cap again.

Personally, as a DK, I find Expertise to be a very nice feel concern. When a rune move does not land, you get a 5 sec rune CD which is much more significant than the old 1 sec (my rune was on CD?) CD. It is worth your while for the sake of threat and reliability to get that soft-cap on expertise, no matter how you cut it. If you need the threat, absolutely. Even if you don't, knowing that when you hit your button it will usually land is enough for me. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Yes I guess you don't NEED expertise at all. But Satorri you hit the nail on the head, for consistency, I at LEAST want to not get dodged on my attacks. The new guild I apped basically just told me they don't need any tanks so I may not be tanking until 85 raids at the moment so I think for the mean time I may just be 2h frost. Thanks for the input yall.

Its actually 22 for all practical matters. 172 rating to be exact. You still get a tiny chance to get dodged at 172 rating, but its like a thousands of a percent.

Which is why 23 is the listed "cap."

22 is nearly there, but 23 is over the top.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread