+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Forced" re-gemming

"Forced" re-gemming

So patch lands........wow everything looks so cool
    except my now fury warrior with 14 crit gems where my arp used to be. Surely blizzard could have refunded these as uncuts rather than straight swap to crit, I mean why would i want all these as crit? (my hunter has the same issue). So I'm looking at maybe changing 20 or so gems on 2 toons. Nice thanks blizzard.
    Think I'm going to have to suck up a transmute master and JC.

Thoughts?
    So long and thanks for all this fish

we all knew or should've known it was coming. Yes uncut gems would've been nice but meh.

Agreed it sucks, but what would the alternative have been? Which uncut gems? Pure Cardinal Rubies? It would make sense, but maybe not ideal of everyone now. I'm not sure you could have created a one-size fits all.

I'm far more pissed that they made the 2pc bonus for Fury useless as you cannot reach deep wounds at 80. Wonderful design there.... Far more crappy than having too-high of an uptime on Flurry.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

uncut gems? tbh with their programming skills it wouldn't have been hard to distinguish between classes giving hunters agi gems and warriors str gems etc.. with a toon full of str gems you'd be far less likely to replace them or at least all of them so soon to cata release. i was lucky enough to have mostly classes that weren't affected. yayness?

They could have just ungemmed you and give you the gems you had, you could either trade or sell to finance your new gems.

This topic is old and dead. We don't need to see it brought up again. *sigh*

Or you could have just prepared for it and spent your badges on gems before the patch hit. They could have done a million things that would have been a "nicer" way of going about this change, but none of those ways would have had a drastic impact on the outcome, and as such they probably didn't see it as worth their time to try and set up exceptions and rules for who gets what gems or bla bla bla when they could just say change X to Y and be done with it.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Yeah it did suck, and I had to replace far more than you did. LOL They should of just refunded raw gems, but they did not. But it was pretty well know that hey were not going to, if you happened to be following any of the Beta discussion, so at least we had time to prepare. If you have not replaced them by now I dunno if I would bother unless your apping to a new guild. Cataclysm is close and that gear with lame gems is still good enough for questing until it is replaced by nice shinny greens!

My hunter and DK were the worst - I had more crit gems then you can imagine; it sucked but, I also had a ton of old honor points from when I thought WG was fun and since I've grown to hate pvp - no issue in exchanging them. Have a JC and Alchemist which helped too.

It did suck, and honestly I'm still ok with pointing it out. The amount of time it would have taken a programmer to write a script to detect whether you are a plate-wearing class (so you want strength gems) or a mail/leather wearing class (crit) would have been minimal, and several orders of magnitude less than the amount of time and energy plate wearing DPS had to spend to replace them. There was no reason a red gem (most of them in red sockets) in plate DPS gear should have ever turned into a yellow gem with a suboptimal stat. It's not ok that they value such a small amount of their time over such a large amount of time for players.

It's not the amount of time it would have taken to write such a script in the code, it's the amount of problems such a script could have caused that they would have had to check for, further pushing back the release time of the patch on an already tight schedule while they're still working on putting out Cataclysm, etc...

The best thing they could have done is simply take away all gems that were changed and refunded those gems to the players in uncut ones. However, there's no point in pointing it out now. It's over, it's done with, what do you gain by pointing it out now? It just seems whiny and petulant. Some issues have lasting effects, this one doesn't, most everyone has fixed it by now anyways. The gems are the honor vendor are ridiculously cheap now, which is honestly probably Blizzard's non-publicized "solution" to the problem. I think at the current price of the gems at the vendor you'd only need 2-3k honor to replace 20 gems.

Refunding the gems would have been fine too. As for what is to be gained by pointing this out...Blizz watches feedback at both their official site and many fan sites; I'd hope that discussion of the issue would encourage them to make a better decision in the future.

Fair point with the honor gems though.

Gold in this game is hard to make.

Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    It's over, it's done with, what do you gain by pointing it out now? It just seems whiny and petulant.
    Don't knock whiny and petulant, it has it's place; in fact, I know some people who've raised it to an art form.

Think of it this way, what other stat could they give to all classes that used to use arp that everyone can use? Crit. It was a simple solution to a complex problem. Maybe slightly on the lazy side, but theyre preparing for the expansion and all, they probably dont have time to do it another way.

Think saying my opinion is "whiny and petulant" is a bit harsh. Forums are there for players of these games to express opinions and questions and as it's been pointed out on this thread it woudnt have taken much to do a gem refund. But anyhoos all done now and warrior is back to doing nice dps so I'm happy :-)

I was surprised with the amount of honour I actually had post patch so was able to save my gold somewhat.

Vong.
    So long and thanks for all this fish

+ Reply to Thread