+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking heroic 25 lich king

Tanking heroic 25 lich king

my guild is having a problem with tank deaths on h 25 lk. we have a warrior in full 277s solo tanking lk in P2. at at times we have loged as much as 110k damage on the tank in under 1.9 seconds. is a tank swap required? If so, assuming we are using 2 warriors, what should the rotation be? If not, what can we do to stop the tank deaths assuming the current tank is being liberal with his cds......
    "Dear Santoro, Your wisdom has enlightened me. Thanks!"

keep in mind i have only attempted 10 man heroic...

save shield block for soul reaper due to the haste buff he gains?
    have the second tank specc safeguard? can intervene and grant -damage to his target.
    use stuff like pain sup or guardian spirit?

The main mechanic during the LK fight that requires 2 tanks is Soul Reaper:

Strikes the target for 50% weapon damage and afflicts the target with Soul Reaper. This effect deals 50,000 Shadow damage after 5 sec and increases the caster's haste by 100% for 5 sec. Instant. Used on the tank. 60,000 on 25-player and 10-player heroic, 70,000 on 25-player heroic.

So basically your tank takes a Soul Reaper hit and in 5 second its going to tick on him like a dot for up to 70k damage. Obviously the tank mitigates this a bit but it remains one hell of a hit. That followed up with a melee hit from the LK and its over. That is why either a CD must be used or another tank must taunt the LK until the Soul Reaper does it's damage and falls off.

After the Soul Reaper does it's damage the original tank can taunt the LK back or just let the other guy tank it until Soul Reaper is applied on him. Soul Reaper is applied to the tank every 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenTankard View Post
    The main mechanic during the LK fight that requires 2 tanks is Soul Reaper:

Strikes the target for 50% weapon damage and afflicts the target with Soul Reaper. This effect deals 50,000 Shadow damage after 5 sec and increases the caster's haste by 100% for 5 sec. Instant. Used on the tank. 60,000 on 25-player and 10-player heroic, 70,000 on 25-player heroic.

So basically your tank takes a Soul Reaper hit and in 5 second its going to tick on him like a dot for up to 70k damage. Obviously the tank mitigates this a bit but it remains one hell of a hit. That followed up with a melee hit from the LK and its over. That is why either a CD must be used or another tank must taunt the LK until the Soul Reaper does it's damage and falls off.

After the Soul Reaper does it's damage the original tank can taunt the LK back or just let the other guy tank it until Soul Reaper is applied on him. Soul Reaper is applied to the tank every 30 seconds.
    " This effect deals 50,000 Shadow damage after 5 sec and increases the caster's haste by 100% for 5 sec"

" tank takes a Soul Reaper hit and in 5 second its going to tick on him like a dot for up to 70k damage"

i belive the damage is in a single blow, after 5 seconds. not a dot effect. but i could be wrong. according to our logs, it appears to be a single hit.

Quote Originally Posted by santoro2984 View Post
    i belive the damage is in a single blow, after 5 seconds. not a dot effect. but i could be wrong. according to our logs, it appears to be a single hit.
    I know its not a dot. I said it's like a dot in that it ticks on the tank after 5 seconds, even though it only ticks once. I was trying to relay that the damage isn't upfront and it's predictable. Time your CDs. You get Soul Reaper debuff, after 5 second with the debuff you take 70k damage. So you are correct, I guess I should have been more clear.

If you know this then why are you asking about tank deaths on Heroic 25 man LK? My suggestion is to look at the death logs on Recount and see what is killing your tank. We can only speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenTankard View Post
    I know its not a dot. I said it's like a dot in that it ticks on the tank after 5 seconds, even though it only ticks once. I was trying to relay that the damage isn't upfront and it's predictable. Time your CDs. You get Soul Reaper debuff, after 5 second with the debuff you take 70k damage. So you are correct, I guess I should have been more clear.

If you know this then why are you asking about tank deaths on Heroic 25 man LK? My suggestion is to look at the death logs on Recount and see what is killing your tank. We can only speculate.
    Im just looking for suggestions on if single tanking lk is too agressive. actually, the strat you suggesed is what i was planning on presenting to the guild tonight, but i wanted to make sure im not a loonytoon b4 i make the suggestion to my raid leader.

Quote Originally Posted by santoro2984 View Post
    Im just looking for suggestions on if single tanking lk is too agressive. actually, the strat you suggesed is what i was planning on presenting to the guild tonight, but i wanted to make sure im not a loonytoon b4 i make the suggestion to my raid leader.
    For a warrior it may be, this depends on your raid comp. My guild has used both a DK and a Bear on H LK at times, I get the fun job of taunting valks in p2(soooooo boring) and we have had no issues. When single tanking it becomes important to have a Cooldown map in place, and those who will be using externals will need to know when to use them. Soul reaper is every 30 seconds, you should map out having 9 of them as you progress(prob won't need all 9 but to be safe). Have them start with their own CDs(having CSK and sindy trinket plus 4pc and shield block can be used as a major cd). So the intial map would look like this

30- Shield wall
    60- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    90- Pain Suppression
    120-
    150-
    180-
    210- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    240- Shield Wall
    270- Last stand

Now you can see why warriors have been called the weakest of tank classes in ICC, while a Druid can handle all the CDs alone, and a DK needs only 1 iirc when we use the dk tank they are ideal. Even a Paladin has better cd's at their disposal.

You want to use intervene as a last ditch, transferring the dmg is better than one tank soaking it, but you want to absorb the damage. Pain Supression is the best external available, but will only be available once(I am assuming you use at least one disc priest) so use that first and if you have 2 discs use then as well. From there, IMO if the other tank is anywhere close to as geared they taunt and take 2 reapers, one with a shield wall the other with last stand plus trinkets. This map may not be 100% optimal just threw it together very quickly as an illustration of how to handle it.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    For a warrior it may be, this depends on your raid comp. My guild has used both a DK and a Bear on H LK at times, I get the fun job of taunting valks in p2(soooooo boring) and we have had no issues. When single tanking it becomes important to have a Cooldown map in place, and those who will be using externals will need to know when to use them. Soul reaper is every 30 seconds, you should map out having 9 of them as you progress(prob won't need all 9 but to be safe). Have them start with their own CDs(having CSK and sindy trinket plus 4pc and shield block can be used as a major cd). So the intial map would look like this

30- Shield wall
    60- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    90- Pain Suppression
    120-
    150-
    180-
    210- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    240- Shield Wall
    270- Last stand

Now you can see why warriors have been called the weakest of tank classes in ICC, while a Druid can handle all the CDs alone, and a DK needs only 1 iirc when we use the dk tank they are ideal. Even a Paladin has better cd's at their disposal.

You want to use intervene as a last ditch, transferring the dmg is better than one tank soaking it, but you want to absorb the damage. Pain Supression is the best external available, but will only be available once(I am assuming you use at least one disc priest) so use that first and if you have 2 discs use then as well. From there, IMO if the other tank is anywhere close to as geared they taunt and take 2 reapers, one with a shield wall the other with last stand plus trinkets. This map may not be 100% optimal just threw it together very quickly as an illustration of how to handle it.

why is 125, 150, 180 blank? wouldnt you just start the rotation over again at that point?

Certainly SW wouldnt be off CD for 120 since you dont use it till 30 seconds in.

If you went with the reduced SW it could be up for 30 , 150, 270 however and then move LS to see if it can by used more than once since its on a 3 min CD.

I don't have a warrior so I went with what I found on wowhead, and it was showing the old shield wall glyph I guess, also I fail for not having last stand in earlier than 270 lol.
    Corrected it would look like this

30- Shield wall
    60- Last Stand
    90- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    120-
    150-Shield Wall
    180-
    210-
    240- Trinkets, shield block, 4pc
    270- Shield Wall

This is what one warrior could do alone, previously I had PS in assuming you have one disc priest, but I will leave these three left open for you to fill with using whatever cooldowns your guild has available.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

+ Reply to Thread